Games Completed 2023

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games Completed 2023

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - The Witcher 2 (Xbox)
JAN - Ori And The Blind Forest (Switch)
JAN - Shinobi III (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Sonic Spinball (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Super Fantasy Zone - 1cc (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Death's Door (Switch)
JAN - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES on Switch)
JAN - Final Fight (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - The King Of Dragons (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
FEB - Goldeneye 007 (N64 on Switch)
FEB - Starfox (SNES on Switch)
FEB - Mafia 2: Remastered (Xbox)
FEB - As Dusk Falls (Xbox)
MAR - Grand Theft Auto 3: Definitive Edition (Switch)
MAR - The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA on Switch)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
APR - Resident Evil 4 (Switch)
APR - Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox)
MAY - Dishonored 2 (Xbox)
JUN - Shock Troopers (Arcade on Switch)
JUN - Dizzy The Adventurer (NES on Evercade)
JUN - World Of Goo (Android)
JUN - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
JUN - Mega Man 2 (NES on Evercade)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Paranormal (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Earth Defense (Switch)
JUL - F1 2021: Braking Point (Xbox)
JUL - Divinity Original Sin 2 (Switch)
JUL - Borderlands: GOTY Edition (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Sea Of Thieves: Monkey Island Chapter 1 (Xbox)
AUG - Magic & Legend: Time Knights (Evercade)
AUG - Quake (Switch)
AUG - Dragon View (SNES on Evercade)
AUG - Water Margin (Megadrive on Evercade)
AUG - Doodle World: Redrawn (Evercade)
AUG - Return To Monkey Island (Android)
AUG - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA on Switch)
SEP - The Room Two (Android)
SEP - 64th Street: A Detective Story (Arcade on Evercade)
SEP - WarioWare Inc. (GBA on Switch)
SEP - The Room Three (Android)
OCT - Castlevania Bloodlines (Megadrive on Switch)
OCT - Alien Storm (Megadrive on Switch)
OCT - Kirby Dream Land (Gameboy on Switch)
OCT - Professor Layton and the Lost Future (DS)
OCT - Donut County (Android)

A game about things falling in to holes. The gameplay is fun but it's interspersed with possibly the most irritating, boring and pointless cut scenes I've ever seen in a game. It tries so desperately to be cool and wacky, but just ends up being so tediously unfunny than I just wanted to fall down one of the massive holes from the game. I couldn't skip past the dialogue quick enough.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Spoiler: show
January 5th - Final Fantasy VII
January 22nd - Death's Door
January 25th - Citizen Sleeper
January 31st - Dead Space (2008)
February 5th - Dead Space 2
February 18th - Hi-Fi Rush
Feb 24th - Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
Mar 3rd - Gears of War 2
Mar 8th - Gears of War 3
April 1st - Resident Evil 4 (2023)
April 6th - Demon's Souls
April 26th - Resident Evil 4 (2005)
May 8th - Super Mario Odyssey
June 1st - Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
August 10th - Final Fantasy XVI
September 16th - Disco Elysium: The Final Cut
September 27th - The Order: 1886
October 14th - Infamous: Second Son

Pretty fun game. It looks and runs great on PS5. The lighting, effects and reflections are all gorgeous, and the city looks really nice. I also liked the graffiti theming and how that weaves into the story. You can tell it's an early gen game for how much they try to use the touchpad and motion controls, as if to say 'look what we can do now!'

Movement is great and the city is designed very well with plenty of launching off points for your powers. It's fun to zoom around picking up activities as you find them. The story is ok, but felt like it ended before it really began. I'd have liked more of that and less open world checkboxy stuff.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Jan 13th - Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Feb 7th - Hi-fi Rush (Xbox Series S)
Feb 10th - Goldeneye (Xbox Series S / Switch)
Feb 20th - Halo: Combat Evolved / The Master Chief Collection (Xbox Series S)
Feb 25th - Bayonetta 3 (Switch)
Apr 10th - Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch)
Apr 30th - Dishonored + The Knife of Dunwall / The Brigmore Witches (Xbox Series S)
May 1st - Tron Identity (Switch)
May 10th - Elden Ring: NG+ (Xbox Series S)
Aug 5th - Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)
Aug 7th - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)
Sep 11th - Astrobot's Playroom (PS5)
Sep 22nd - Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye (PS5)
Sep 30th - Cocoon (Xbox Series S)
Oct 1st - Dordogne (Xbox Series S)
Oct 6th - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Xbox Series S)

Oct 16th - Pikmin 4 (Switch)

Not sure what I thought of this one?

I adored Pikmin 3 on the Wii U and on the face of it, this should be better given the tweaks.

The addition of Oatchi the dog makes control and movement slicker, and you can dispatch smaller groups off to do concurrent tasks. The new Pikmin colours add a few new ideas. The graphics are GORGEOUS. The two player mode is really fun if you have a kid interested in joining in. The title screen music is some of the best music Nintendo have ever made. And the game is incredibly generous with not only its content, but also in the variety of ways you can tackle the gameplay. It's far more approachable and intuitive.

So why aren't I raving about it?

I think it's because the way I prefer to play Pikmin is hidden too deep inside this game and it's a bit of a chore getting there.

Firstly, there is talking. So. Much. Talking.

I felt like I was endlessly clicking 'Skip story' as it's no great shakes and gets in the way continually of just enjoying playing it.

Secondly, it's a big game. There are more base levels than before. Which are bigger than before. And each has secret caverns within them. And Dandori tests. Then there's the stressful night missions. And some of the treasure still isn't reachable even after I've put 40 hrs into it and beaten all the major post game content.

Pikmin 3 felt a lot more streamlined to me; whereas here, mixing all these tests and side explorations up on each level stops them having such a distinct flavour. I often couldn't recall which level was which.

I'm a bit torn on the upgrade and crafting system too. I found it rewarding at times and helpful to have it when the game for tougher, but if I'm being honest when I did use it, it felt like I'd turned on a cheat mode.

Ironically the best content, that most directly feels like a true sequel to Pikmin 3 and that I adored, comes at the end of the game and is almost entirely missable. And is best enjoyed when squeezed for time and without many of the new items and Pikmin types.

So on the one hand, I think Pikmin 4 is a real success. The controls are great, the new ideas work and it is still a brilliant world to spend time in.

But I was left feeling like I'd gone to one of those 'all you can eat buffets' where you can sample food from everywhere around the world. I stuffed myself and loved the ease of it all, but eventually found that maybe too much of a good thing, all at once, is a bit much.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Mar 3rd - Gears of War 2
Mar 8th - Gears of War 3
October 19th - Infamous: First Light

More of an expansion to Second Son than a separate game. I finished the story and the open world activities in five hours. There's a battle arena too but didn't delve into that.

I enjoyed racing after and leaping for upgrade 'lumens' in hard to reach spots over a lot of the filler in Second Son. The movement is so fun in these games it's nice to have more challenges. I also didn't miss the morality system. Fetch is a more interesting and likeable character than Delsin, but the story itself is so small and filled with busywork that it only really gets good in the third act.

I think both games work well together, Second Son the more complete package, First Light a focused side story. I enjoyed them both but don't think either of them reach their full potential.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

markfm007 wrote: October 19th, 2023, 4:41 pm
Mar 3rd - Gears of War 2
Mar 8th - Gears of War 3
October 19th - Infamous: First Light

More of an expansion to Second Son than a separate game. I finished the story and the open world activities in five hours. There's a battle arena too but didn't delve into that.

I enjoyed racing after and leaping for upgrade 'lumens' in hard to reach spots over a lot of the filler in Second Son. The movement is so fun in these games it's nice to have more challenges. I also didn't miss the morality system. Fetch is a more interesting and likeable character than Delsin, but the story itself is so small and filled with busywork that it only really gets good in the third act.

I think both games work well together, Second Son the more complete package, First Light a focused side story. I enjoyed them both but don't think either of them reach their full potential.
I know they're from different developers but for quite a while I used to think that the Spiderman games were from Sucker Punch, just due to how similar the movement felt in infamous to Spiderman, I always felt like that traversal in the infamous games was really fun.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I really liked all three Infamous games I played. I think the second one with the New Orleans inspired city was my favourite. Never played any of the spin-off/side games though, although I do have that vampire themed one, never got round to it.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

They do feel similar to Spiderman definitely, you can see how they might've influenced Insomniac. I actually liked the movement more than Spiderman as there's a bit more skill and freedom to it.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - The Last Campfire
05/01 - Splatoon 3
17/01 - Wolfenstein (2009)
22/01 - Fragments of Euclid
02/02 - Postmouse
08/02 - Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (Kung Lao)
26/02 - F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
06/03 - Omensight: The Definitive Edition
09/03 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine
21/03 - Forza Horizon 2 (first finale)
25/03 - Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
31/03 - Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (World Tour)
01/04 - The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
12/05 - The Sword of Etheria
22/05 - Lost Planet 3
26/05 - Disco Elysium
12/06 - Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition
14/06 - [PROTOTYPE]
18/06 - Zeno Clash II
29/06 - The Wonderful One: After School Hero
07/07 - Dante's Inferno
12/07 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Shivering Isles
19/07 - Van Helsing
27/07 - Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
28/08 - Shadow Warrior (2013)
15/09 - Kurohyou: Like a Dragon - New Chapter
24/09 - The Forest Quartet
27/09 - The Last Story
09/10 - Driver: San Francisco
12/10 - Soulstice
20/10 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

This is a truly awful game. I struggle to find anything positive to say about it. It's a miserable experience that fails on practically every front one might hope to get some enjoyment out of.

There is very little to the game in general, being nothing more than a series of small, linear levels where you bash your way through enemies with extremely basic mechanics. Even that might be somewhat forgivable if the little that exists was well executed, but it is not. The combat is terrible. Your attacks feels really stiff and very limp, being poorly animated and awkwardly strict with inputs. There are a range of combos at your disposal, which feel like they are supposed to be important, but they don't flow well together, and the enemy design works against them too. Enemies have the same subpar animation quality to their attacks, while also being able to break through yours. They will frequently knock you down before you can even see an attack is coming, and often block or deflect any attempt to try to actually engage with more complex mechanics than just spamming your most powerful combo and praying you get lucky. It's especially bad when you get in to one of the bigger battle scenes and there's a lot of enemies on screen. It becomes totally impossible to see what's happening, and everything devolves in to a skittering, twitching grey-brown mass.

As an interactive adaptation of the movie it's also very underwhelming. This does not provide anything even remotely close to a retelling of the story. Instead it's merely a few of the action scenes spliced together to form the backdrop for the levels, but with so little context that they might as well have not bothered. I was considering rewatching the movies before jumping in to this since I had heard it's not exactly a great way to re-experience the story, and it has been a long time since I last watched them. In the end I decided not to, but honestly I don't think if I did that would make this any better. There's so little here that even pretending that this would have enough to make one eager to fill in the gaps seems laughable.

It also fails to capture any of the grandeur or scale of the movie either. None of the levels have anything interesting going on in terms of set pieces or cinematic presentation. It doesn't feel like any kind of epic fantasy adventure, let alone replicating anything that the movie did so well. The ending sequence covering the Battle of Helm's Deep was especially egregious. Three levels that were all a total slog of holding off waves of enemies for an unclear amount of time where two of them (including the last) end in scripted failure anyway, which then leads in to a few seconds of movie clips that don't even show the resolution of the battle, and not even a credits sequence. I know there's some secret level after this and one more final cutscene once you beat that as well, but there's no way I'm going for that. Said secret level sounds like a really bad time, and it doesn't even have anything to do with the main plot. It's not like any extra final cutscene will provide anything that simply watching the movie won't do a hundred times better anyway.

Originally I was intending on this being the start of a sort of LotR games mini-marathon, but now I'm really not so sure about continuing. I've heard Return of the King is better, but after this I'm not sure if I trust what people say about these movie games. But carrying on to the other games I intended on playing without it seems wrong too. A while back I decided that when it came to games like this that I really wasn't enjoying, I would stop playing them, and stop posting about them too. I figured it was a waste of my time to keep plugging away at stuff I simply wasn't getting anything out of, and that anyone reading my thoughts would probably get pretty sick of me complaining about stuff all the time. I did make a bit of an exception this time since this game was so short. I definitely would have dropped this if it went on much more than it did.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Death's Door - Series X.
(Jan) Warhammer: Chaosbane SE - Series X.
(Feb) Evil West - Series X.
(Mar) God of War Ragnarok - PS5.
(Mar) Dead Space(2023) - Series X.
(Apr) Ben 10: Power Trip - Series X.
(Apr) Resident Evil 4(2023) - Series X.
(May) Ghostwire Tokyo - Series X.
(May) Ravenlok - Series X.
(May) Turrican - PS4.
(May) Spec Ops: The Line - Xbox 360
(July) Shadow Warrior 3 - Series X.
(July) Planet of Lana - Series X.
(July) Horizon Forbidden West - PS5.
(July) Bramble: The Mountain King - Series X.
(Aug) Halo Wars 2 - Series X.
(Aug) Remnant II - Series X.
(Aug) Halo Wars: Definitive Edition - Series X.
(Sept) Vampire Survivors(1000GS) - Series X.
(Sept) Control: Foundation/AWE dlc - Series X.
(Sept) Control(1000GS) - Series X.
(Oct) RE4: Seperate Ways dlc - Series X.
(Oct) DOOM(1993) - Series X.
(Oct) Need for Speed Heat - Series X.
(Oct) Cyberpunk 2077 - Series X.
(Oct) Fort Solis - PS5.
(Oct) Quake II(1000GS) - Series X.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 22 - Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (Switch)
Feb 8 - Live A Live (Switch)
Feb 22 - Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Steam Deck) (Feb 23 - Best Ending)
Mar 1 - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS5)
Apr 30 - Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS5)
May 19 - Final Fantasy XIII (Steam Deck)
May 22 - Dicey Dungeons (Steam Deck)
May 24 - Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (Steam Deck - GBA emulation)
Jun 19 - Need For Speed Unbound (PS5)
Good arcade racing fun. A good map to race around in and cop chases are fun. Drift events are boring though. I turned off the music and streamed from Spotify on the PS5 as I did not like the soundtrack at all. The story is nonsense but can be easily ignored. Creating a complicated coffee ordering, craft beer drinking hipster in this 'street' setting was funny though. The final races didn't feel as epic as I felt they should. A good game overall and what feels like a throwback to only 10-15 years ago.

Aug 9 - Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
The last in my yearly Layton completions and the last of the prequel trilogy.

Despite spacing the series out over 6 years, I felt some puzzle burnout during the prequel games. I played this for a while, dropped it, and came back when I was ready for more. No major changes in gameplay from before. I did notice fewer of those damned sliding block puzzles, so that was nice.

The story is ok, but, like Ace Attorney, the series can't match its third game, Lost Future.

Aug 12 - Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (Steam Deck - WonderSwan emulation)
The WonderSwan seems like such an odd little machine. A late 90's machine in grayscale, with a dullish yellowy greenish tint (or at least that's the emulation option). It also runs at 75 frames per second. The emulator had an option to skip every fifth frame to give 60 frames per second. It can also be played horizontally or vertically. Some levels in this game are designed to be played vertically.

I'd already played the GBA sequel (which I think remakes some of the levels) so I was ready for its solid puzzle platforming. It handles well and Namco seem to have got the handheld Klonoa games right from the first game.

The story is odd, some artists have stolen pieces of the moon and trapped them in their paintings. In each level Klonoa has to collect 3 Moon stones, many are after simple platforming or puzzles but some nearer the end can get a good bit trickier. It all feels a bit weird and maybe melancholic, though that suits this series.

Aug 15 - Mutazione (Steam Deck)
A story focused game where there is an overarching plot about the main character travelling to an island to look after her grandfather and do some of his jobs around the island. The island was hit by an asteroid decades before and has caused large mutations in the flora and fauna, including the sentient people.

The best part of this game is wandering around the island talking to people and seeing their little soap opera stories play out. It really endeared me to the place. The actual main story isn't quite as interesting and the gardening sections that are required at certain parts of the story are boring.

A very likeable game.

Sep 17 - Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)
Doesn't hit the heights of the previous game, hell, I don't think it stood a chance. I was not as invested in the combat this time either. But, as a world, I enjoyed wandering around it. Its what kept me coming back to it. Improved movement options, mainly far more climbing, made this a lot better. My favourite areas in the game are the forested snowy area to the north (I'm usually a sucker for those) and the jungle in the south-west.

So yeah I liked it and never had a problem with playing it but I never loved it. It ends with a sequel hook but I'd prefer if Guerilla took a stab at a new setting rather than another Horizon.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Quake (Switch)
OCT - TMNT: Shredder's Revenge (Android)

Played through this on my tablet with an Xbox pad. It's fun. Looks really good and is a really nice tribute to the old arcade games and the genre in general. Would love to see a lot more of this. Old franchises regenerated with some modern quality of life improvements, it's a winner.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 8: Densetsu no Stafy
Jan 10: Parodius 2: Fantastic Journey
Jan 26: Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy
Jan 28: Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius
Feb 19: Metroid Zero Mission
Feb 21: Kirby’s Dreamland
Mar 6: Yakuza 5
Mar 25: Luigi’s Mansion 2
Mar 30: Kirby’s Dreamland 2
Apr 13: New Super Mario Bros
May 1: Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time
Jun 17: Super Bomberman
Jun 24: Mother 3
Jul 12: DoReMi Fantasy: Milon’s Quest
Jul 16: Angry Birds Trilogy
Aug 3: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Aug 12: Gunstar Heroes
Aug 13: Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139…
Aug 19: Super Bomberman 2
Aug 21: Super Bomberman 3
Aug 30: Super Castlevania IV
Sep 6: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Sep 14: Soul Bubbles
Sep 19: Sonic Advance
Sep 30: Puyo Puyo Tetris
Oct 2: Super Bomberman 4
Oct 21: Ivy the Kiwi?

This is a cute little mix of auto runner and puzzle game made by Yuji Naka and I have to say I had quite a roller-coaster of emotions playing this. My first half hour with it was pretty much indifference. Its presentation is quite saccharine and the music is a bit too cutesy for my liking. The limited moveset and the first few levels left the impression that this was going to be a cakewalk of a game as I was flying through the first few worlds but still felt this was a bit meh.

Then when I hit World 7, things sadly took a turn for the worse. Now I had to move a boulder through the course to defeat enemies while also keeping an eye on the kiwi to make sure she was heading in the right direction. Using the controls that I was using since the beginning getting the boulder into the right place to even be able to reach the enemies was an exercise in torture. Whenever I was able to move the boulder, Ivy would begin moving in the opposite direction so I had to pen her in to move in the right direction to make sure she was just behind the boulder. To simultaneously keep Ivy and the boulder on screen was immensely frustrating and that was even getting them to the right spot then I had to make sure I had it set up that I could fling the boulder into the enemies before Ivy would run into them and die. Considering that I had to fling both of them up to the area where the enemies were, it was nigh on impossible to set it up where the boulder could attack the enemies before Ivy ran into them. And if I played it too slow I inevitably ran out of time and would fail the level that way. Between this frustration and the sickly sweet aesthetic I was considering packing it in altogether which I am usually loath to do.

But surely I was doing something wrong? I looked up a video of the level that was giving me trouble and saw the player moving Ivy far faster than what I was doing. I was being far too conservative, just drawing vines when I needed a platform and flinging Ivy when I need to move fast. What you can do instead is if you swing the vine forward while you draw it you can fling Ivy forward or upward at a much quicker pace. This little tip made the boulder puzzle a toddle as I just flipped the boulder and Ivy together and was blazing through the levels at a much quicker pace. With this new knowledge, the appeal of this game became much more apparent. Like with much of Naka’s oeuvre there is a hidden complexity in the seemingly simple control system. Knowing when to stop drawing your vine and figuring out how high or far you can fling your kiwi takes a certain finesse and mastery which was a lot of fun to figure out. I was now disappointed as I was over halfway through the game and as such I was worried I figured out how to have fun way too late to really appreciate the game.

After finishing the main game I was delighted to find that there is a bonus mode where you play through all the levels again except they are remixed in such a way that you now need to retrieve a key before you can access the exit. I had a real blast with this with my new found vine drawing and flinging skills. I devoured the bonus game in two days and completely turned around my opinion of this game. What started as apathy went into pure hatred and then into understanding and appreciation. Once you find out how this game clicks then you will have a pretty enjoyable time. The cutesiness even became more tolerable when you finish the game and encounter a lovely storybook retelling of your adventures and learn a bit more about Ivy. It was a pretty endearing little fable and became that bit more lovely now that I had felt that I had earned that ending properly. Been a long time since a game has elicited this many reactions out of me but in the end this execution of a seemingly simple control scheme allowing for complex and refined movement made me appreciate this effort a lot. While sometimes it bites me in the arse, my tendency to stick with a game despite my frustrations with it can oftentimes lead to some of my most interesting experiences in the medium.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Splatoon 3
02/02 - Postmouse
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
22/05 - Lost Planet 3
26/05 - Disco Elysium
14/06 - [PROTOTYPE]
18/06 - Zeno Clash II
07/07 - Dante's Inferno
19/07 - Van Helsing
27/09 - The Last Story
12/10 - Soulstice
27/10 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

After being unsure whether I wanted to continue this Lord of the Rings excursion, I decided I would at least give this one a go. I was pleasantly surprised to find this is a pretty big improvement over The Two Towers in a lot of ways.

The presentation of the experience is far better, making the game feel like much more of a satisfactory adaptation of the movie. While it still doesn’t really retell the story exactly, it does a way better job of contextualising each level and making them feel like they are actually part of a narrative. Each level has longer cutscenes introducing them, as well as narration over them that explains what is going on in relation to everything else.

The levels themselves are much better as well. The camera is used in much more cinematically compelling ways, and it does a good job of selling a sense of scale to these events. It also helps that the graphics in general see a significant bump in quality, helping the environments come across as more convincing and aesthetically pleasing. In terms of gameplay design they are much better too. They’re full of set pieces and interesting gimmicks that gives them a lot of variety, so there’s much more going on here than simply fighting enemies over and over. Some variance in your objectives goes a long way.

There are also more playable characters this time around, with more divergence in their play styles as well. Since the game is structured around different story branches you have a good reason to actually play as them too, while also helping the game feel like more of an epic quest with a wide scope. It also gives the game a good reason to bring back in some of the scenes from Two Towers that were missing from that game.

Unfortunately the core gameplay that all this is built around has seen little to no improvement though. It still has a lot of the same problems with poor animation timing, a lack of responsiveness, and susceptibility to getting stun-locked. A lot of combos and the parry ability remain fairly useless, and visual readability in a lot of scenarios is insufficient. There was perhaps a bit of an upgrade to the visual appeal of the animations, but it doesn’t help much for actual gameplay. The camera framing may also be ever so slightly better, helping to reduce the issue of getting lost in the action on screen, but that still remains a big problem.

But despite me still not liking it very much as an action game, I feel like I have to give this game credit for achieving the goal of being a playable version of the movie. It does actually do a decent job of recapturing its feel and giving you the sense that you’re able to participate in those events in a satisfying way.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Quake (Switch)
OCT - 80 Days (Android)

I must have played through this half a dozen times over the years, which oddly enough probably means it's the game I've finished more than any other. I've only managed to fail once, and this time we made it with four days to spare. We were diverted by pirates, had a romantic liaison in New Orleans and flew on a great mechanical bird! There are still dozens of cities I've never visited, and already planning my next route in my head. This is one of the all time great games you can play on a phone.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Quake (Switch)
OCT - 80 Days (Android)
OCT - Red Dead Redemption 2 - 100% (Xbox)

I could never get bored of this game. This world. These characters. I can't imagine anything ever topping it. I love it so much. Decided to try for 100% months ago and finally finished it tonight, culminating in the final mission of the game. It's just so good.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Scrustle wrote: October 27th, 2023, 7:04 pm

Of that generation, I think this game was of of the best licensed games only behind Spider-Man 2 and certainly one of the best movie tie ins ever, also alongside Spider-Man 2. I struggle to think of any movie tie ins since which have been as good unless you count the LEGO games but even those have released well after the release of the films.
I remember asking for this for Easter instead of getting any Easter Eggs from anyone in the family. My mum bought it me and stored it in her bedroom drawer until Good Friday and I remember always going into their room to get it out and just look at the box. I was so excited for it and it didn't let me down.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 22 - Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (Switch)
Feb 8 - Live A Live (Switch)
Feb 22 - Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Steam Deck) (Feb 23 - Best Ending)
Mar 1 - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS5)
Apr 30 - Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS5)
May 19 - Final Fantasy XIII (Steam Deck)
May 22 - Dicey Dungeons (Steam Deck)
May 24 - Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (Steam Deck - GBA emulation)
Jun 19 - Need For Speed Unbound (PS5)
Aug 9 - Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
Aug 12 - Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (Steam Deck - WonderSwan emulation)
Aug 15 - Mutazione (Steam Deck)
Sep 17 - Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)
Oct 24 - Triangle Strategy (Switch)

I've already played two Team Asano games which left me lukewarm (Octopath Traveler) and annoyed (Bravely Default 2), so I really shouldn't go back for a third. Thankfully this is clearly my favourite from the team.

However, the game does not start off well. While it's very wordy throughout, the first few hours felt like 13 Sentinels, which is visual novel with some battles attached. Thankfully it does get better. The story is fine, warring countries fighting over resources stuff. I heard there was a golden ending so I did see the requirements for that.

The SRPG battles are well done and I quite like the difference in some of the maps.

Surprisingly for both an SRPG and an Asano game, there is no job system. Instead each separate character has their own specific job with different tweaks and skillsets among even similar characters across the 20+ cast. For example, two mages specialise in different elements, but one is an all rounder with smaller movesets and another can affect the weather to boost their spells. Likewise the 2 archers are very different, one is an old man with low movement but great range and power and the other is mounted on a large bird giving great vertical movement but lacking the same range and power. I quite enjoyed this approach and would swap the whole party on missions to keep trying them all out.

Like Final Fantasy Tactics units gain exp when they preform actions. The cool thing here is that units keep that exp if you lose. So while I found the game fairly easy, there is the option to grind against the very mission you're stuck on if necessary. I think that's pretty nice.

The soundtrack is fine and the game's isometric graphics look nice. I enjoyed this game quite a bit.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Quake (Switch)
OCT - 80 Days (Android)
OCT - Red Dead Redemption 2 - 100% (Xbox)
OCT - Flashback (Megadrive on Evercade)

This game is every bit as good today as it was over 30 years ago, an all time classic. An absolute cracker. Back in the day this was the game that first showed me games could be more than just fun diversions, it introduced me to almost RPG type mechanics of mini quests within games and built such a beautiful looking world, and that animation of the lead character, Conrad, ah, perfection. I've finished this game so many times over the years and love it every time.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Splatoon 3
02/02 - Postmouse
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
22/05 - Lost Planet 3
26/05 - Disco Elysium
14/06 - [PROTOTYPE]
18/06 - Zeno Clash II
07/07 - Dante's Inferno
19/07 - Van Helsing
27/09 - The Last Story
12/10 - Soulstice
31/10 - Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone

This is actually the third game in my Lord of the Rings marathon, and was even the reason I decided to start it in the first place. This game was developed by Stormfront Studios, who co-developed The Two Towers, and it follows a pretty similar design template to both those EA movie games. This was the first game this team released after putting out Two Towers, but it came out a year after Return of the King, so it’s interesting to see how this game turned out with a longer development time, and with the ability to learn from both EA games in the process.

I also have something of a connection to this game as it was one of the first PS2 games I ever owned. I picked it up having no idea of the LotR connection, or that it was based on D&D in any way. I never got far in to it at the time, but it always stuck in my mind over the years. It only recently became playable on the emulator without major graphical glitches, so I figured it was time to finally play it properly, but I felt like I shouldn’t do just this one game considering its legacy that I had learned about in the years since.

Mechanically this is an improvement over those LotR games in a few key ways. Combos aren’t as numerous, but what you do have are more usable than the majority of what those games offered. Each of them feel like they actually have a purpose and that you can reasonably pull them off in combat. It also replaces the parry with a simple block, which again makes it far more effective. There is also a riposte move you can do after blocking an incoming blow, so there is still some level of timing and skill involved. But it’s far easier than the parry of the previous games, as you can do it on reaction and based on audio cues, rather than trying to predict attacks that happen too quickly and erratically to see.

There’s only three playable characters in this game, but you have access to them at almost any time during play, allowing you to switch to them instantly with the D-pad. Each character has different strengths in different situations, so frequent swapping is rewarded as well. It gives the game a bit more mechanical variety in the moment than the LotR games, which felt like they somewhat forced you to commit to a single character, and left you at a disadvantage in certain levels that you couldn’t do much about. The characters in this game each fall in to one of the usual RPG holy trinity. A tough fighter, a stealthy rouge, and a mage. The fighter is obviously the tanky one, and has the ability to smash objects in the environment; the rouge can jump and use shadows to turn invisible to get one-hit kills on enemies; and the mage has powerful ranged magic attacks and can place down explosive runes as well. So there’s some abilities there that go beyond what the previous games had. The mage especially feels distinct when compared to Gandalf in RotK, who despite ostensibly being a magic user, mostly used melee attacks like everyone else.

You also have something of a gear system as well. You collect gold during levels that you can use to buy better equipment for each character. Beyond better stats some of it gives you specific attributes like elemental damage or enchantment effects. It gives the game a bit more of an RPG feel, and pretentions of being able to build your character in a way you want, but it’s a pretty minor feature. For all the stuff you have access to, most of it doesn’t result in much noticeable effect beyond the higher stats.

The animation quality this time around is still not amazing though. It is perhaps a minor step up from RotK, but still not great. Player attack animations look nice enough, and enemies do occasionally have some good looking moves as well, but they still suffers from the problem of not being particularly clear or well telegraphed. You can still get stun-locked in some situations, although it’s rarer than it used to be. Enemies can tend to swarm the screen and obscure your view sometimes as well. The block being more effective does a lot to paper over the flaws of the animation system though. It still feels a bit stiff to control, but it’s not as bad as what came before. There’s also a few “get off me” super moves that can help out in a pinch as well to give you some breathing room.

In terms of presentation I think RotK has this game beat. This game does use fixed camera angles and tries to present a cinematic and epic adventure, but it doesn’t manage to capture that feeling as well as that game did. There are some moments in the early levels that do impress, but after that it rarely manages to frame the action in a way that feels impressive or stylistically interesting. It doesn’t have many level set piece gimmicks either like RotK had. There’s a few every once in a while, but they tend to be pretty basic. Most of the time you are simply hacking your way through enemies to get to the boss at the end of each level. It might be somewhat unfair to make that comparison though, as RotK obviously had such a rich source material to draw from. They had to create a story mostly from scratch here.

Said story is pretty unimpressive however. It boasts quite a lot of big names both in acting and writing roles, but it didn’t come together to make anything compelling. It was even apparently nominated for several awards, although it won none. The plot has little to it, being basically the old tired standard of stopping the evil forces from taking over the world. There are two main antagonists attempting to do this who are in conflict with one another, but that never ends up resulting in anything interesting at all. There is nothing to them. I know next to nothing about D&D lore, so I don’t know if these two are supposed to be important established characters, but if they were I would imagine anyone hoping they would get to see them deliver on any level here would be very disappointed. The party of playable characters are also pretty dull and shallow. Their entire personalities boil down to their race and character class, in a kind of weirdly deterministic way. As if their vocation is just as much of their inherited identity as their race. Not that it spends even a second interrogating that in any way. But again I have to reluctantly give this game some level of credit for even having an original story and characters, if we’re comparing it directly to the LotR games. Characters do technically talk to each other, and even this plot is admittedly more than just “here’s that bit from the movie”. But that’s an extremely low bar. By any other it doesn’t hold up.

But overall I’d say I had an okay time with this. I enjoyed it maybe about as much as RotK, but with the high and low points in different places. It’s an entertaining thought exercise to place it in this context and compare it as a sort of unofficial third game in this line. And somewhat satisfying to finally tie up a thread I’d left hanging for so many years. This isn’t quite the end of my LotR marathon though. There’s one more game I want to get to. I don’t think I’ll be playing it right away though. It does share some similarities with this trio of games, but it’s nowhere near as closely related, so it doesn’t really fit as neatly together. Plus I just want a bit of a break from this kind of thing for a bit too.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

I finished Alan Wake 2 and it's my game of the year. To start off it looks incredible, the lighting and general area design is just on another level, I'm playing it on PS5, and it's crazy that it can look even better on a high end PC.

It's got really satisfying combat that doesn't get old. Going a more survival horror direction with less frequent but more dangerous enemies was a great decision. Feeling like the REmake games with less spongey enemies is great.

The biggest suprise for me was how engaging the story was, I was just a lot more interested in Saga Anderson than Wake and Jesse. She's got a more satisfying personal story hook that really connected with me. There are definitely some cheesy moments, but they worked for me.

The story sections with Alan were pretty interesting and definitely where it got the weirdest in a food way with a pretty clever puzzle setup.

Also it's got a lot there if you played Remedy's previous games, particularly Control and Max Payne.

What I loved most about the game was how bold and confident it is with almost every decision and direction.

It's a great game anyone who likes Remedy's ganes should check out.