Netflix dubs and subs

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

Netflix dubs and subs

Post by JaySevenZero »

In case there's anyone here who would prefer to watch Neflix's recent and utterly excellent Blue Eye Samurai in Japanese with English subtitles or say, their recent One Piece adaptation dubbed by the Japanese anime cast but can't due to the annoying issue that Netflix only offers European language options on the dub options. There is a workaround and it's pretty straight forward albeit, a little fiddly. Bear in mind this works for the TV app not the mobile app.

Firstly, on your login screen next to your profile pic go to settings and change language to Japanese (Right hand side and pick the middle option). This'll change the entire app, including cover arts, to the Japanese versions. Then go to the bottom option and save the setting.

Start watching the show (best add it to your watch list before changing anything as it makes it easier to find afterwards given that the cover art often changes from what you're used to, making it a little harder to find). The show will most likely still be in English so bring up the dub options at the bottom of the screen and choose the first left hand side option, this'll change it to the Japanese dub with no subs.

Then go to settings (usually a cog symbol on the bottom right but it’ll now be written in Japanese so choose the end right option) and then from the drop down menu, pick the third option down , this give you the English subs.

This probably works for other languages outside of Europe too, I just haven't checked.
Alex79

Re: Netflix dubs and subs

Post by Alex79 »

Nice tip, thanks Jay! I was really surprised when Blue Eye didn't have an option for Japanese audio on the UK app. Seems odd not to offer it as standard considering it exists anyway.

EDIT: Actually, just checked - they do in fact offer Japanese now! Loads of additional languages seem to have been added. It definitely wasn't there when I started the show.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Do they? I've just checked on the TV app and it's just the usual options, no Japanese. Are you looking via a mobile app or something?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JaySevenZero wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 10:00 am Do they? I've just checked on the TV app and it's just the usual options, no Japanese. Are you looking via a mobile app or something?
Yeah it was the Android app I looked at. Thinking about it, it was the TV app I was watching on before and there were definitely no Japanese option for audio on there, wonder why it's different on different devices.
LaikaMuttnik

Post by LaikaMuttnik »

Adding to Jay's instruction, here is some Japanese word info that I thought might help anyone who wants to try it.
Settings: 設定
Language: 言語
Audio: 音声
Subtitles: 字幕
Japanese: 日本語
English: 英語