Games Completed 2023

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
pisang

Re: Games Completed 2023

Post by pisang »

Zelda: Link’s awakening
Really fun atmosphere. I liked the classic Zelfa feel and the linear gameplay. Also found the dungeons fun, but found the last ones a bit tedious. Combat was a bit boring. Guess I am used to the fast action we see in the current games.

Diablo 4
Enjoyed the story and the combat, but after completing one run, I don’t feel the urge to come back to it. When I had more time in my life, grinding wasn’t so bad ;) I regret for buying it full price. The nostalgia always kicks in when they release a new Diablo …
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show

03/01 - The Last Campfire
05/01 - Splatoon 3
17/01 - Wolfenstein (2009)
22/01 - Fragments of Euclid
02/02 - Postmouse
08/02 - Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (Kung Lao)
26/02 - F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
06/03 - Omensight: The Definitive Edition
09/03 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine
21/03 - Forza Horizon 2 (first finale)
25/03 - Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
31/03 - Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (World Tour)
01/04 - The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
12/05 - The Sword of Etheria
22/05 - Lost Planet 3
26/05 - Disco Elysium
12/06 - Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition
14/06 - [PROTOTYPE]
18/06 - Zeno Clash II
29/06 - The Wonderful One: After School Hero
07/07 - Dante's Inferno
12/07 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Shivering Isles
19/07 - Van Helsing
27/07 - Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
28/08 - Shadow Warrior (2013)
15/09 - Kurohyou: Like a Dragon - New Chapter
24/09 - The Forest Quartet
27/09 - The Last Story
09/10 - Driver: San Francisco
12/10 - Soulstice
20/10 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
27/10 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
31/10 - Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
15/12 - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

I thoroughly enjoyed this, it was a really great experience and a fantastic follow-up to Breath of the Wild as well. As for which is better, it’s hard to say, but either way this one didn’t disappoint and I had a brilliant time with it.

The biggest thing worth mentioning is that it somehow managed to make lightning strike twice by recapturing that sense of discovery and exploration that BotW had while still being set in the same world. It feels fresh and new despite the reuse, and manages to come across as quite unfamiliar at first and inspires curiosity. The way so much of the overworld has changed and moved around, along with the different ways you are encouraged to approach it does a great job of making you see it in a new light. Not to mention all the additions that were made, which I’ll get in to more detail later. Over time as you see more of the world it does start gradually feeling more familiar though, as you have more dots to connect together, but it’s still very impressive how it makes the journey to get to that point feel like something totally new. And there’s so much more to see now that I was frequently getting surprised by new things throughout the whole experience. Even when I was getting near the end of the game I was stumbling on unexpected things at around the 170 hour mark.

Although that said I think BotW does a better job with the introduction to the game. The early hours of that were so expertly crafted to gradually introduce you to the game and all its systems while slowly opening up to you in a way where you always had a clear idea of where you needed to go next, but you never felt like you were restricted at all. It somehow felt limitless but never overwhelming. TotK isn’t as elegant in this area. While on paper it’s fairly similar, in practice it doesn’t pull it off quite so well. It starts of feeling pretty restrictive in the introduction sequence, and then dumps a lot of stuff on you at once without a singular clear direction or near term goals. It’s not really a major issue though, as I suppose the game is expecting you to be familiar with the previous adventure and so you shouldn’t be intimidated by suddenly having little direction.

I like the new powers you get this time around. They are clearly iterations on what came before, so they feel more like evolutions on those rather than something totally new. Ascension is clearly a new form of Revali’s Gale, but I get the sense that it is an intentionally nerfed version of it. That power was arguably a bit too useful in BotW, taking away a lot of the thought needed in platforming. Ascension is a smart way of retaining something similar but which doesn’t completely circumvent climbing, and get you thinking about how to utilise the shape of the geography around you as well. Fusion was very good too. I often felt like the monster parts were a bit useless in BotW as I almost never felt the need to make elixirs in that game, so it’s good that Fusion gives them a new purpose here. It also doubles as a way to make the weapon durability mechanics more interesting as well. At first I didn’t realise how useful this power was, but it added a lot to the item management and the feeling that you are scavenging off the land as you explore. It’s fun to see what wacky combinations of stuff you can fuse together.

Ultrahand and building structures and vehicles was fun too, but I’m a bit more mixed on these powers. It’s great to be able to rig something together to solve a problem in an unconventional way, but it also felt a bit limited or awkward at times. It’s a lot of fun when you can come up with something yourself and it actually works. Like finding a way to give yourself a platform up to somewhere that you couldn’t get to otherwise. Or another contraption I came up with that allowed me to fight a flying enemy from way up in the sky while also covering me from attacks falling down from above. It also makes for a lot of really fun shrine quests that use these abilities in more varied and considered ways than I was expecting. But at other times you do something that feels like it should work, but then it doesn’t because the physics do something weird because they couldn’t be tested to work with 100% reliability in all situations. I found vehicles in general to not be especially useful either. They were often too slow, not versatile enough, or break with extended use. Given that they cost resources to make they can often seem like they aren’t worth the trouble. But then again, maybe that’s a good thing. Perhaps they didn’t want them to be too powerful and make other mechanics redundant. I was a little worried going in to this game that it would become too much about cars and flying machines rather than the more intimate exploration of BotW, or that it would be too easy to solve every puzzle with a small number of basic constructions. I was glad to find that wasn’t the case.

I wasn’t too hot on most of the new Sage powers however. This is another aspect that I think BotW did better, although I think those versions could have been improved too. They have more thought and complexity to them this time, but I don’t think that actually makes them better or more interesting to use. Once again the Rito themed power is by far the best. Tulin’s Gust is massively helpful when gliding around, and it also feels like a version of Revali’s Gale that has been understandably reigned in, while still being very useful. The rest I mostly don’t much care for. Yunobo’s rolling attack isn’t very useful for anything other than smashing walls of rock and taking down one specific boss. I don’t even know what Sidon’s ability is useful for outside of turning on switches in the Water Temple. Riju’s lightning attack doesn’t really do anything that just attaching a shock fruit to an arrow doesn’t, outside of a few select mandatory things. Yet it makes you wait around to be able to use it. Mineru is pretty helpful for riding over Gloom spots in the Depths, but for actual combat she is way too slow and unwieldy, and offers worse protection than just going on foot. But in addition to all this, having to walk up to each character’s avatar and command them to use these abilities is a big downgrade from how BotW did it. It makes using them really fiddly and something you can’t rely on in a pinch. It also means you have to contend with their frequently unreliable pathfinding. While it is kind of cool in concept to roll around with a posse of Sages, and they can maybe be somewhat useful in drawing aggro in combat, they don’t actually have much positive practical use and just get in the way a lot of the time.

Aesthetically the game is clearly very impressive. It doesn’t really change noticeably from BotW, but that was already a very good looking game. I was hoping that perhaps the level of detail might take a bit of a step up given how this was made specifically for the Switch rather than having to keep parity with old hardware, and maybe if you look with a magnifying glass you could point to a few aspects that have improved, but in general it’s basically the same for the most part. The world design looks fantastic and feels very alive and tangible despite having an obvious stylisation to it. The lighting too continues to be a highlight. The sunrises and sunsets are stunning. Some of the best I’ve seen in any game. Seeing them I couldn’t help but think it makes all this talk about how amazing ray tracing is supposed to make lighting in games sound rather silly. When you compare it to this game that is presumably working with a vastly simpler and more primitive method, TotK is able to create jaw dropping sights, while ray tracing hasn’t really produced any game that has wowed me in the same way. That said, there are some pretty noticeable frame drops in this game that can be a little distracting. More than BotW had even before it got patched too.

I like the visual design of the Zonai stuff a lot as well. It’s a clear iteration on the Sheikah look, but in a way that comes across like it’s an even older civilisation. Very ancient and mysterious. It looks almost Mesoamerican, but mixed with some Japanese influence that gives it a very unique vibe. The green and creamy colour palette is nice as well, and the magical effects work have an almost liquid feel to them that I like a lot.

The game makes a lot of changes that address many of the major complaints of BotW, which are mostly very successful. The biggest one being that enemy variety is much wider this time around. There are so many cool and interesting monsters to go up against now. It definitely makes stumbling in to them and engaging with them a much more interesting experience. The feeling you could get in BotW that you end up seeing everything the game has to offer in this department long before the credits roll is not an issue here. This is especially true of the larger monsters, that now also offer plenty of boss level encounters in the overworld. There are a bunch of very cool surprises to be had there. I do somewhat miss there being some kind of Guardian analogue among the Zonai enemy roster, but it’s hard to complain when there are so many other enemies that now fill that role in the hierarchy of opponents to face.

Another big change based on feedback is that the major dungeons all have their own unique visual aesthetic. They all look very good, and helps to give these places more personality unique to themselves, so that they don’t just feel like glorified Shrines reusing the same assets. My favourite of the bunch has to be the Wind Temple. It’s got a sort of Viking longboat look to it, but made out of stone. Seeing them up in the sky and circling around a tornado is a very evocative image too. Each dungeon boss also being unique is much appreciated as well.

I like the expansions to the overworld a lot too. If the additions to the ground level of Hyrule weren’t already enough, there’s a huge amount of new stuff with the Depths and the sky areas too. The Depths were a really nice surprise. I had heard about it before playing, but I was unaware just how huge that area is, basically doubling the entire size of the game. They have a great atmosphere too, very dark and ominous. It’s very eerie, and puts you on edge as you fumble around in the dark never sure of what you might bump in to. It has a kind of surreal tone to it as well, and it actually reminded me a lot of the Rift Planes from Gravity Rush 2. To the point where I think they might have been a direct inspiration. They also have that sort of otherworldly dangerous feel to them, and are places used to mining magical ores. A lot of the plant life you come across in the Depths also look very similar to what you can find in the Enchanted Zone in GR2. That game presented those areas as being more psychedelic though, while in TotK they have a fittingly gloomy tone.

The sky areas were cool as well, although I do sort of wish there was a bit more to it. It doesn’t feel like as big of an addition as the Depths, since there just aren’t that many islands floating up there, and what is there is mostly pretty small. But it provides another flavour to exploration that is still a pretty fun one. There’s this sense of precariousness as you hop from rock to rock trying to avoid falling down to the ground. It gives you a good reason to actually use your flying vehicles too. Some of the best shrines are up in the sky, as they can make a puzzle around simply getting to them in the first place. Being so high up in the sky also makes for some of the best visual moments of the game as well. It’s the best place to take in those jaw dropping sunrises and sunsets.

I did have some issues with the controls though. They are a bit clunky in a way that doesn’t really ruin the experience, but is enough of an issue to mention. There is a noticeable amount of input lag on a lot of things that can create some frustrating moments of fumbling at times. This was also an issue in BotW, but it was something I could overlook there. But in TotK I think it’s worth noting because the controls in general are more complex now, as you have more mechanics to wrangle. I found that trying to set up throwing an object or fusing an item to an arrow could be kind of fiddly in combat, which was not ideal.

I enjoyed the story in some aspects, but in others it was a bit lacking. Yet it doesn’t really feel fair to criticise the game too harshly on this front, as it’s not really the focus and is clearly trying to keep things light, as this series usually has done. At the same time the bump in production value over pre-BotW games does make it seem like Nintendo want this aspect to be taken more seriously, and some of the things I feel it came up short on were done better in older games. What I do like about it is that it nails the feeling of being a “legend”. It has a sense of magic and whimsy to it, but also like you’re seeing glimpses in to some long forgotten past that piques your sense of intrigue, and makes it feel like you’re seeing something rare and spectacular with momentous stakes. The finale in particular is great. It’s truly epic. The final boss is a big improvement over BotW, and the epilogue scenes were even quite touching in spots too. It’s also very uplifting and stirring at times, which it manages to achieve through expert presentation and likeable characters, rather than deep or intricate writing. It recreates the feeling of wonder and amazement of seeing a classic children’s fantasy film when you were still young and you had never seen anything like it before. Being able to inspire that emotion in a cynical old adult is quite the achievement.

Ganondorf himself was a bit of a disappointment however. I don’t think he’s an outright bad antagonist, and I suppose he’s better than Calamity Ganon in that he’s actually a character that talks. But he doesn’t really have much personality aside from being the evil guy who wants to take over the world. He doesn’t do anything in the current time the game takes place either, with most of his actions being relegated to the flashback sequences. It’s a shame, because his visual design is great this time around, and because we’ve seen how much better this character can be when given some pathos. There’s much more potential to get out of him if they really wanted to.

As for Zelda’s side of the story, I liked it quite a bit. I have seen some people criticise the direction they took for her in this game, and I can see why people would do so, but I thought it made for an entertaining arc that went to some interesting places…
Zelda turning in to an immortal dragon was a very cool twist. Although I saw it coming a mile off it was still pretty satisfying to put it together before it was shown, and to then see it confirmed. My first hint was simply noticing that the dragons flying around the overworld looked pretty similar to Zonai and wondering if there was some connection, before the idea of that was even hinted at. Actually seeing Zelda become a dragon was a pretty dramatic moment, and having that be the key to the location of the Master Sword hiding in plain sight the whole time was a great touch too.

I have heard people say that it’s disappointing that this is basically another example of Zelda being fridged for the whole story, taking away her agency yet again as she loses all sense of self in the transformation. I guess I agree with that, and I do still wish for the day when Zelda actually gets the starring role in the game named after her, but by the standards of what plot lines she usually gets in these games, I think this is one of the better ones. She did what she did of her own free will this time around, and there was a sense of tragedy and self-sacrifice to it. It’s meant to be sad, but also showing her selflessness in doing whatever she can to save the world and help Link. And besides, she gets a happy ending after all and returns to humanity at the end of the game anyway.
It’s interesting how this game interacts with the Zelda timeline too. BotW already played it fast and loose, mostly ignoring the timeline but being set at the very end after a presumed merging of the different threads. TotK takes things further by directly referencing a lot of the stuff from Skyward Sword, but in a way that seems to outright replace it. A lot of the concepts and even names and events are taken from SS, except in this game they are referring to something totally new to the wider fiction of the series. I find it kind of amusing actually, how much Nintendo seems to be disrespecting its own lore. Before they came up with the official timeline they seemed mostly uninterested in the idea, but now they seem almost antagonistic to it. Almost like they only came up with the timeline just so they could intentionally ruin it to try to stop people taking it so seriously.

At this point I can’t help but feel like the future of the series is in a weird place. I don’t know where it goes from here, for kind paradoxical reasons. Almost every Zelda sequel has always been a big departure, ironically the one thing you could rely on. And ever since Wind Waker, new entries have been based off feedback from the previous game, but always in unexpected ways. Despite its iterative nature, you could never quite tell where the series was going, and that’s what kept it interesting. But now with the shift to the BotW style becoming the new blueprint, and both that game and TotK being received so well, that makes future games feel like something of a no-brainer. Just keep doing this kind of thing. But that ironically feels like a very uncertain and un-Zelda thing to do. No matter how good these games are, I don’t think this style can hold up perpetually, and basing a new game off near unanimous praise seems like a good way to get complacent. Especially when these two already share so much in common. That doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that Zelda as a franchise should or would do, but that I can see as being a fairly likely possibility. I hope they don’t fall in to this trap, because even with a brand new setting and world to explore, these games are exhaustingly huge, and sometimes the pacing suffers for it. At this point I’m starting to crave a more concentrated Zelda experience again. I would hope Nintendo agrees, at least when it comes to building sequels off this same setting. Since there’s no DLC for this game because they said they achieved everything they wanted to within this framework, that would suggest whatever comes next will be rebuilt from scratch. But there’s also the more recent comments from Aonuma where he seemed pretty unreceptive to the idea of creating something more compact like the old games. While I wouldn’t want to simply return to the old Ocarina of Time template style, surely there’s a way to find something new which has a bit more focus.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Jan 13th - Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Feb 7th - Hi-fi Rush (Xbox Series S)
Feb 10th - Goldeneye (Xbox Series S / Switch)
Feb 20th - Halo: Combat Evolved / The Master Chief Collection (Xbox Series S)
Feb 25th - Bayonetta 3 (Switch)
Apr 10th - Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch)
Apr 30th - Dishonored + The Knife of Dunwall / The Brigmore Witches (Xbox Series S)
May 1st - Tron Identity (Switch)
May 10th - Elden Ring: NG+ (Xbox Series S)
Aug 5th - Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)
Aug 7th - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)
Sep 11th - Astrobot's Playroom (PS5)
Sep 22nd - Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye (PS5)
Sep 30th - Cocoon (Xbox Series S)
Oct 1st - Dordogne (Xbox Series S)
Oct 6th - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Xbox Series S)
Oct 16th - Pikmin 4 (Switch)
Nov 20th - Spiderman 2 (PS5)

Dec 16th - Ghostrunner 2 (PS5)

This was a very pleasant and unique surprise. I loved the demo and thought I'd pick it up as it's regularly only £25 on disc, despite not playing the original game.

How to describe it...

It's got the movement and flow of a parkour game like Mirrors Edge; if you had the traversal abilities of a Pilot in Titanfall 2. You are a cyborg ninja, and the combat plays like you're Raiden from MGS:Revengence; in first person. When you slow down time and chain some killer combat moves together, it reminds me of DOOM and Red Steel 2 at their best. And you die. A lot. Tons in fact. The last boss took me 257 attempts. But like Neon White, when you die you instantly restart at a handy point to retry it. So it becomes part of the experience, and not an issue.

That last point is key. I got some strong 'Soulsborne energy' from the game. Cursing it at first, as the tutorial is obtuse and opening boss fundamentally unfair. Sticking with it, because the sense of reward for reaching the next checkpoint was addictive. Loving the game eventually, when you start to master how to play it.

It throws some great things in along the way too. An incredible bike that shouldn't work, but is dazzling. A brief open world section to break up the indoor levels. A wingsuit that adds vertically. A ton of upgrades that let you alter your playstyle.

The story and cast of characters isnt quite top tier, but it is very original. I got some strong Astral Chain / Dishonored vibes from it. And I'm very keen to play the original now.

If any of this description intrigued you, play the demo. It won't spoil the game as - weirdly - the demo level isn't in the game. It's a remixed version of a level from it, and far more user friendly than the real game. But you'll get a sense of if it's for you or not.

But I loved it.

Your character progression and abilities stay with you permanently too, so replaying levels will now be even more fun. It's the sign of a great game and developer when you instantly replay the first two levels, where you initially died 200+ times, and clear them in 20 goes and feel like a total badass.

If you loved something about Neon White, Titanfall 2, Mirrors Edge, Dishonored, DOOM, Red Steel 2, Dark Souls, Metal Gear Solid: Revengence... you'll probably like this.

Oh, and it's got THE best parry and bullet deflect ability in a game. Ever.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Death's Door - Series X.
(Jan) Warhammer: Chaosbane SE - Series X.
(Feb) Evil West - Series X.
(Mar) God of War Ragnarok - PS5.
(Mar) Dead Space(2023) - Series X.
(Apr) Ben 10: Power Trip - Series X.
(Apr) Resident Evil 4(2023) - Series X.
(May) Ghostwire Tokyo - Series X.
(May) Ravenlok - Series X.
(May) Turrican - PS4.
(May) Spec Ops: The Line - 360
(July) Shadow Warrior 3 - Series X.
(July) Planet of Lana - Series X.
(July) Horizon Forbidden West - PS5.
(July) Bramble: The Mountain King - Series X.
(Aug) Halo Wars 2 - Series X.
(Aug) Remnant II - Series X.
(Aug) Halo Wars: Definitive Edition - Series X.
(Sept) Vampire Survivors(1000GS) - Series X.
(Sept) Control: Foundation/AWE dlc - Series X.
(Sept) Control(1000GS) - Series X.
(Oct) RE4: Seperate Ways dlc - Series X.
(Oct) DOOM(1993) - Series X.
(Oct) Need for Speed Heat - Series X.
(Oct) Cyberpunk 2077 - Series X.
(Oct) Fort Solis - PS5.
(Oct) Quake II(1000GS) - Series X.
(Nov) Halo 3 ODST(HMCC) - Series X.
(Nov) Alan Wake II(1000GS) - Series X.
(Nov) Everspace 2 - Series X.
(Nov) Dead Island 2 - PS5.
(Nov) Immortals of Aveum - Series X.
(Nov) Peter Jacksons King Kong(1000GS) - 360.
(Nov) Scars Above(1000GS) - Series X.
(Dec) Battlefield Bad Company 2 - 360.
(Dec) World War Z Aftermath - Series X.
(Dec) Cocoon(1000GS) - Series X.
(Dec) Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection - Series X
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

seansthomas wrote: December 17th, 2023, 8:43 am
Would you reccomend jumping straight to this or playing the first game first?
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Indiana747 wrote: December 18th, 2023, 2:12 am (Dec) Cocoon - Series X.
What did you think of Cocoon?
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Truk_Kurt wrote: December 18th, 2023, 8:52 am
seansthomas wrote: December 17th, 2023, 8:43 am
Would you reccomend jumping straight to this or playing the first game first?
I haven't played the original tbh. Story wise the second starts with a recap so no issue there.

I believe the original is deemed to be tougher. So might be a rare occasion to go 2 then 1?
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Hades
Inscryption
Diablo
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Stardew Valley
Journey

"Completed" Stardew as in I got to Spring Year 3 and felt like I did enough to leave happy. My farm is easy enough to dip back into, so I might check in every now and then, but I feel good stepping away from this play through.

And I finally played Journey! What a beautiful game! And there were still other players to run into, 11 years on!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: December 18th, 2023, 8:53 am
Indiana747 wrote: December 18th, 2023, 2:12 am (Dec) Cocoon - Series X.
What did you think of Cocoon?
Great little mind bender, frustrated my simpleton brain on a few occasions but also makes you feel smart when you solve puzzles. Dont know if theres a story in there, enjoyoble Game Pass fodder to pass the time though.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Jan 13th - Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Feb 7th - Hi-fi Rush (Xbox Series S)
Feb 10th - Goldeneye (Xbox Series S / Switch)
Feb 20th - Halo: Combat Evolved / The Master Chief Collection (Xbox Series S)
Feb 25th - Bayonetta 3 (Switch)
Apr 10th - Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch)
Apr 30th - Dishonored + The Knife of Dunwall / The Brigmore Witches (Xbox Series S)
May 1st - Tron Identity (Switch)
May 10th - Elden Ring: NG+ (Xbox Series S)
Aug 5th - Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)
Aug 7th - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)
Sep 11th - Astrobot's Playroom (PS5)
Sep 22nd - Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye (PS5)
Sep 30th - Cocoon (Xbox Series S)
Oct 1st - Dordogne (Xbox Series S)
Oct 6th - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Xbox Series S)
Oct 16th - Pikmin 4 (Switch)
Nov 20th - Spiderman 2 (PS5)

Dec 19th - A Highland Song (Switch)

For anyone who hasn't seen it, A Highland Song is the new game from Inkle. Like 80 Days before it, the joy lies in tackling the game multiple times, to find faster routes to reach your target; a lighthouse out at sea. You start in the Scottish Highlands and have to navigate caves, climbs, snow covered peaks, water, weather, nightfall, ski lifts, dams and much more besides to reach your goal.

Its a 2D exploration game and it looks gorgeous. Hand painted landscapes that have you taking screenshots all the time. Being set in Scotland, the folklore, narration and music is also wonderful. It really captures the spirit of the country perfectly.

Overall though, I'm a bit conflicted on this one.

For large parts of the game, I adored it.

Finding scraps of maps, figuring out where short cuts are and navigating mountains is very rewarding. And not as easy as you'd think. And it's clear that many objects you pick up won't be useful until a future run.

But it's not without issue. I had two or three bad crashes that locked my Switch or shut the game, losing some progress. I fell through the levels a few tmes. Some of the landscape is very hard to read, though a patch that came out tonight fixes some of that. The skill of figuring out where to go is wonderful when it works, but when you're lost it can be very frustrating; I lost 3 days trying to find a way off one mountain (which reminded me in 80 Days of that foray to Antarctica that kills you).

The biggest issue though is that after 2 runs, I'm not sure I want to do a 3rd. Whereas with 80 Days, I did about 20 as it was so much joy to experiment with new routes. Here, because the climbing is a bit laborious, it gets a bit dull, fast.

I've probably put about 6 hours in and feel like I've seen enough for now, until it's patched. And I think what is there is genuinely unique and charming.

It just didn't quite have the 'one more go' factor that I'd hoped it would.
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

I was curious about Highland Song, thanks for writing about it. I didn't realize it was from the same team as 80 days.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - The Witcher 2 (Xbox)
JAN - Ori And The Blind Forest (Switch)
JAN - Shinobi III (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Sonic Spinball (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Super Fantasy Zone - 1cc (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Death's Door (Switch)
JAN - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES on Switch)
JAN - Final Fight (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - The King Of Dragons (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
FEB - Goldeneye 007 (N64 on Switch)
FEB - Starfox (SNES on Switch)
FEB - Mafia 2: Remastered (Xbox)
FEB - As Dusk Falls (Xbox)
MAR - Grand Theft Auto 3: Definitive Edition (Switch)
MAR - The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA on Switch)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
APR - Resident Evil 4 (Switch)
APR - Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox)
MAY - Dishonored 2 (Xbox)
JUN - Shock Troopers (Arcade on Switch)
JUN - Dizzy The Adventurer (NES on Evercade)
JUN - World Of Goo (Android)
JUN - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
JUN - Mega Man 2 (NES on Evercade)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Paranormal (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Earth Defense (Switch)
JUL - F1 2021: Braking Point (Xbox)
JUL - Divinity Original Sin 2 (Switch)
JUL - Borderlands: GOTY Edition (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Sea Of Thieves: Monkey Island Chapter 1 (Xbox)
AUG - Magic & Legend: Time Knights (Evercade)
AUG - Quake (Switch)
AUG - Dragon View (SNES on Evercade)
AUG - Water Margin (Megadrive on Evercade)
AUG - Doodle World: Redrawn (Evercade)
AUG - Return To Monkey Island (Android)
AUG - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA on Switch)
SEP - The Room Two (Android)
SEP - 64th Street: A Detective Story (Arcade on Evercade)
SEP - WarioWare Inc. (GBA on Switch)
SEP - The Room Three (Android)
OCT - Castlevania Bloodlines (Megadrive on Switch)
OCT - Alien Storm (Megadrive on Switch)
OCT - Kirby Dream Land (Gameboy on Switch)
OCT - Professor Layton and the Lost Future (DS)
OCT - Donut County (Android)
OCT - TMNT: Shredder's Revenge (Android)
OCT - 80 Days (Android)
OCT - Red Dead Redemption 2 - 100% (Xbox)
OCT - Flashback (Megadrive on Evercade)
NOV - EA UFC 5 (Xbox)
NOV - Cyberpunk 2077 (Xbox)
NOV - Metal Gear Solid (Switch)
NOV - Storyteller (Android)
NOV - Max Payne 3 (Xbox)
DEC - Brave Battle Saga (Megadrive on Evercade)
DEC - Valis (Megadrive on Evercade)
DEC - Alter Ego (Evercade)

This is a really neat little puzzle-platformer on the Mega Cat 2 collection. To clear each single screen stage all you do is collect the pickups, but you have a ghost you that mirrors all your actions, and you can switch places with it at any time. The puzzle aspect is that there are certain platforms only the ghost can walk on, certain enemies that only kill you or only kill the ghost you and different pickups that need to be collected by either you or the ghost. You need to be mindful of where the other you is at any time because of various hazards.

It's a really great game with a nice difficulty curve. However, it falls to the same curse many of the 'modern retro indie' games on Evercade suffer from. It's woefully short. I beat the game in 41 minutes, and whilst it was a nice way to spend the best part of an hour, there is little replay value in a lot of these games. It's a tough one, I love the Evercade and it's opened my eyes to so many games I'd never heard of, let alone played, but I would like to see some more substantial stuff on there. That's perhaps not entirely fair - there are plenty of longer games with more depth on the system, but it's just the majority of the retro-styled indie games are very short and feel more like prototype versions of larger games. For example, remember that Pico-8 version of Celeste within the main game? That's the sort of thing we're talking about on the Evercade.

I'm not really moaning though, the collections are relatively cheap - generally £18 for collections of anything between 6-20 games and really nice to collect the cartridges. Would like to see a bit more depth in future collections though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - The Witcher 2 (Xbox)
JAN - Ori And The Blind Forest (Switch)
JAN - Shinobi III (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Sonic Spinball (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Super Fantasy Zone - 1cc (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Death's Door (Switch)
JAN - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES on Switch)
JAN - Final Fight (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - The King Of Dragons (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
FEB - Goldeneye 007 (N64 on Switch)
FEB - Starfox (SNES on Switch)
FEB - Mafia 2: Remastered (Xbox)
FEB - As Dusk Falls (Xbox)
MAR - Grand Theft Auto 3: Definitive Edition (Switch)
MAR - The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA on Switch)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
APR - Resident Evil 4 (Switch)
APR - Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox)
MAY - Dishonored 2 (Xbox)
JUN - Shock Troopers (Arcade on Switch)
JUN - Dizzy The Adventurer (NES on Evercade)
JUN - World Of Goo (Android)
JUN - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
JUN - Mega Man 2 (NES on Evercade)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Paranormal (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Earth Defense (Switch)
JUL - F1 2021: Braking Point (Xbox)
JUL - Divinity Original Sin 2 (Switch)
JUL - Borderlands: GOTY Edition (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Sea Of Thieves: Monkey Island Chapter 1 (Xbox)
AUG - Magic & Legend: Time Knights (Evercade)
AUG - Quake (Switch)
AUG - Dragon View (SNES on Evercade)
AUG - Water Margin (Megadrive on Evercade)
AUG - Doodle World: Redrawn (Evercade)
AUG - Return To Monkey Island (Android)
AUG - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA on Switch)
SEP - The Room Two (Android)
SEP - 64th Street: A Detective Story (Arcade on Evercade)
SEP - WarioWare Inc. (GBA on Switch)
SEP - The Room Three (Android)
OCT - Castlevania Bloodlines (Megadrive on Switch)
OCT - Alien Storm (Megadrive on Switch)
OCT - Kirby Dream Land (Gameboy on Switch)
OCT - Professor Layton and the Lost Future (DS)
OCT - Donut County (Android)
OCT - TMNT: Shredder's Revenge (Android)
OCT - 80 Days (Android)
OCT - Red Dead Redemption 2 - 100% (Xbox)
OCT - Flashback (Megadrive on Evercade)
NOV - EA UFC 5 (Xbox)
NOV - Cyberpunk 2077 (Xbox)
NOV - Metal Gear Solid (Switch)
NOV - Storyteller (Android)
NOV - Max Payne 3 (Xbox)
DEC - Brave Battle Saga (Megadrive on Evercade)
DEC - Valis (Megadrive on Evercade)
DEC - Alter Ego (Evercade)
DEC - A Way Out (Xbox)

I played this through with my son (awful parenting) after we really enjoyed Brothers and It Takes Two, and honestly, we had an absolute blast.

I'd thought this game released to lukewarm reviews, but having finished it and checking reviews it seems that really wasn't the case. There were a couple of 6s but it mainly seemed to score anything between 7-9 in most places, and I really think it deserves that.

The game is enjoyable throughout, but the ending really surprised us and we really enjoyed the...
...cat and mouse section around the factory after Leo learns Vincent is a cop. We didn't see the ending coming at all, and I think it was really well done, and it explains some of the behaviours from Vincent during the game. For example, the reluctance to use force, refusing to shoot cops etc.
The game really mixes things up with shooting sections, driving sections and loads of mini game time wasters, as expanded upon in It Takes Two. I think Josef Fares seems to get some ill-will directed towards him but I honestly don't know why. He's headed up three highly enjoyable cooperative games and I'm excited to see what's next.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

January 5th - Final Fantasy VII
January 22nd - Death's Door
January 25th - Citizen Sleeper
January 31st - Dead Space (2008)
February 5th - Dead Space 2
February 18th - Hi-Fi Rush
Feb 24th - Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
Mar 3rd - Gears of War 2
Mar 8th - Gears of War 3
April 1st - Resident Evil 4 (2023)
April 6th - Demon's Souls
April 26th - Resident Evil 4 (2005)
May 8th - Super Mario Odyssey
June 1st - Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
August 10th - Final Fantasy XVI
September 16th - Disco Elysium: The Final Cut
September 27th - The Order: 1886
October 14th - Infamous: Second Son
October 19th - Infamous: First Light
November 16th - Alan Wake Remastered
December 29th - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Managed to squeeze one more in before the end of the year! I loved this game. It controls perfectly and each level is paced well. There’s a great balance between precision, quick jumps, climbs, swings. Checkpoints are perfectly placed and lives are generous enough to feel fair, but still make items worth collecting. Vehicle sections and faster levels are exhilarating and (mostly) fair in giving you time to react and look ahead. Both levels and bosses have this wonderful feeling of ending right when they should, and are excellent at introducing and expanding upon concepts both within levels and across each island.

The difficulty curve is spot on, with only a few of the last levels feeling a bit too nasty for me to want to try them again. The bosses are excellent. I particularly loved the polar bear, tough but satisfying. The final boss is a bit more tedious than fun, which is a shame but not the end of the world. The music is typically excellent, atmospheric and uplifting. The art direction is bouncy and fun, lots of fun little animations and bright, colourful trees, sands and hills.

Grassland Groove is easily my favourite level, a joyful delight of African rhythms, wonderful jumps and climbs, as trees and giraffes bounce along to the music with you. Amiss Abyss also stands out for its gorgeous dark underwater swimming, lit up intermittently by sea life below. But there are so many to choose from. Overall a great end to the year for me.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Quite a few clears this year, and a random selection of old and new.

Managed to get Golden Axe done without taking a hit on hardest difficulty with Tyris/Gillius for the set, which was a lot of fun. Also did Mario 2, Super Buster Bros and X-Men vs Street Fighter. Also got loads of random ones by accident during Patreon Streams.

However probably the most proud of these two this year.

A really cool clear on Snow Brothers, that took weeks to hit live, that really reinforced why I love that game.

But finally this.

I went from appearing on a podcast about Shinobi, having only done it on the master system, to learning the arcade, to getting a 1CC, to having one single shot at a no death live, randomly at the end of another stream and hitting it.

Honestly. That ending is everything that I make videos for, I can't put it into words what that felt like, and that's why I'll keep trying to beat games like this.

Enjoy the videos my friends.
There's many more adventures yet to come.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - The Last Campfire
05/01 - Splatoon 3
17/01 - Wolfenstein (2009)
22/01 - Fragments of Euclid
02/02 - Postmouse
08/02 - Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (Kung Lao)
26/02 - F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
06/03 - Omensight: The Definitive Edition
09/03 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine
21/03 - Forza Horizon 2 (first finale)
25/03 - Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
31/03 - Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (World Tour)
01/04 - The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
12/05 - The Sword of Etheria
22/05 - Lost Planet 3
26/05 - Disco Elysium
12/06 - Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition
14/06 - [PROTOTYPE]
18/06 - Zeno Clash II
29/06 - The Wonderful One: After School Hero
07/07 - Dante's Inferno
12/07 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Shivering Isles
19/07 - Van Helsing
27/07 - Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
28/08 - Shadow Warrior (2013)
15/09 - Kurohyou: Like a Dragon - New Chapter
24/09 - The Forest Quartet
27/09 - The Last Story
09/10 - Driver: San Francisco
12/10 - Soulstice
20/10 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
27/10 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
31/10 - Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
15/12 - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
31/12 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Honestly I’m a bit conflicted on what to say about this game. Generally I enjoyed it. It was a fun time and it scratched the itch I had for a game like this very well. Yet when I try to think of the things that I actually have something substantial to talk about, it’s mostly stuff I’m critical of. So I guess despite what I’m going to say, I have to preface it by saying that I liked it overall and I’m sincerely not trying to trash this game. But I guess these are the thoughts that ended up developing over my time playing more than the cut and dry “is it fun or not?”

The big thing that always stands out to me about these old 2D Zelda games are the controls, and how they are usually a pretty big barrier to me being able to fully enjoy the game. I tend to feel a bit bad about that, being such a big fan of the series in general, and also appreciating a lot of more recent indie games that follow in this same format. The issue I have is that the limited movement options make combat feel really awkward and difficult. Only being able to face in the four cardinal directions, and not being able to move in a direction other than where you’re facing makes it a real pain to position properly so that your sword swings actually connect while avoiding damage yourself. You can sort of do it when charging a spin attack, but that’s not practical a lot of the time. Hit detection also seems to be a bit iffy, as I noticed many times when the arc of my sword swing was clearly passing over a target but it doesn’t register for some reason. It’s very picky about what is considers a successful attack, but the tools it gives you to do that just don’t feel up to it to me. It does help to be patient and not spam sword attacks as fast as possible, which allows your full swing arc to play out instead of it being cut short, but that doesn’t solve the issue. It’s also pretty annoying when an enemy manages to get through your defences and overlaps with Link’s sprite. They can rapidly eat away at a ton of your health while bumping you around in a disorienting way. I was able to mostly get around these issues thanks to the rewind feature in this Nintendo Switch Online version, but I think I leaned on that perhaps a bit too hard.

When comparing this issue against other games, I suppose it’s still better than the original Zelda, but it’s nowhere near as good as Minish Cap which managed to mitigate it by a lot in comparison. But that game in turn is nowhere near as good as the masterful game feel of the likes of Hyper Light Drifter or CrossCode. I guess it is somewhat unfair to compare LttP to much later games, but this is something I always had an issue with back when I first played it around 10 years ago, long before I ever played those indie successors.

Coming off Tears of the Kingdom I was craving a more concentrated Zelda experience, and this game delivered on that though. It was a really swift and breezy pace to it that was great to have after such a massive dense game like that. The world is compact, and dungeons are pretty short. It was really refreshing to feel like I could make a lot of progress fairly quickly, even to the point where I could do multiple dungeons in a single sitting.

The dual world thing is a cool part of the game. The way the same location can be different in the other world makes for some interesting puzzles in the overworld, with how you need to flip between them to get to places you wouldn’t be able to otherwise. It’s also a pretty impressive technical achievement, to have basically two entire overworlds in a single game like this, and how you can swap between them near instantly without any loading screen. Although I think this is another sign of the game suffering perhaps in retrospect from being the inspiration of so many later games. When it comes to the actual design of the gameplay challenges of this system, other later games have been able to do more interesting things with it. Not that what is here isn’t entertaining in its own right, but I feel like I’ve seen other instances that are more ambitious with the idea.

I think that extends to the dungeon puzzle and item design too. Again, perfectly entertaining when taken in isolation, and even kind of refreshing in its simplicity, but in retrospect it feels somewhat prototypical of other stuff I’ve already played. Such is the curse of being the inspiration of an entire genre I suppose.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Hades
Inscryption
Diablo
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Stardew Valley
Journey
Owlboy
Planet of Lana
Super Mario Odyssey

Having a bit of a run before the new year, gotta love a Christmas break!
Both Owlboy and Planet of Lana were good (sometimes very good) without ever being great. With Owlboy, it never felt like they REALLY hit the mark with the flying mechanic. With Lana, its doing the Limbo/Inside thing but only just doing that, never really doing much more.
Super Mario Odyssey, obviously, was fantastic. I've never been a huge 3D Mario fan, or a 3D platformer gamer in general, but this one just had me. Its so fun, so inventive and creative. I would just collect moons in completed levels because it was so enjoyable to do so. Loved it.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Death's Door - Series X.
(Jan) Warhammer: Chaosbane SE - Series X.
(Feb) Evil West - Series X.
(Mar) God of War Ragnarok - PS5.
(Mar) Dead Space(2023) - Series X.
(Apr) Ben 10: Power Trip - Series X.
(Apr) Resident Evil 4(2023) - Series X.
(May) Ghostwire Tokyo - Series X.
(May) Ravenlok - Series X.
(May) Turrican - PS4.
(May) Spec Ops: The Line - 360
(July) Shadow Warrior 3 - Series X.
(July) Planet of Lana - Series X.
(July) Horizon Forbidden West - PS5.
(July) Bramble: The Mountain King - Series X.
(Aug) Halo Wars 2 - Series X.
(Aug) Remnant II - Series X.
(Aug) Halo Wars: Definitive Edition - Series X.
(Sept) Vampire Survivors(1000GS) - Series X.
(Sept) Control: Foundation/AWE dlc - Series X.
(Sept) Control(1000GS) - Series X.
(Oct) RE4: Seperate Ways dlc - Series X.
(Oct) DOOM(1993) - Series X.
(Oct) Need for Speed Heat - Series X.
(Oct) Cyberpunk 2077 - Series X.
(Oct) Fort Solis - PS5.
(Oct) Quake II(1000GS) - Series X.
(Nov) Halo 3 ODST(HMCC) - Series X.
(Nov) Alan Wake II(1000GS) - Series X.
(Nov) Everspace 2 - Series X.
(Nov) Dead Island 2 - PS5.
(Nov) Immortals of Aveum - Series X.
(Nov) Peter Jacksons King Kong(1000GS) - 360.
(Nov) Scars Above(1000GS) - Series X.
(Dec) Battlefield Bad Company 2 - 360.
(Dec) World War Z Aftermath - Series X.
(Dec) Cocoon(1000GS) - Series X.
(Dec) Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection - Series X
(Dec) Immortals Fenyx Rising - Series X.
Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon »

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Complete Kid Kit
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Never get good
Shovel Knight - Dynamite Ditch Digger
Cocoon - In and Out
Fire Emblem Engage - Pepsi Haired Hero
Tears of the Kingdom - Under My Hyrule
Mario Wonder - Seeded with creativity
Ico - Yorda Man Now
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze -
Metroid Prime Remasterd - Finally found it
Octopath Traveller 2 - Partitio's Saxophone song
Slay the Spire - One week non-stop
Super Mario 3 Advanced - A crisp classic
Death's Door - A-door this game
Tetris Effect Connected (Switch) Still got it
Into the Breach - Still earning tokens
A Link Between Worlds - Paint me like…
Super Mario RPG (2023) - Puppet is Angel?
Pikmin 4 - Danduri is life
Mario Party All-Stars - That's life kid
Luigi's Mansion 2 Dark Moon - Best boy Polterpup four word review - Back on their Booshit
Shovel Knight Dig -Scoop it up
Advanced Wars Rebooted - Well earned promotion
Warioware Inc - Less is more
Mario Land 2 - The Six Golden Coins - Clever Currency Collector
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga Remake Fraternal Charm Offensive
Planet of Lana - Run the Robots
Street Fighter 2 Sega (Nintendo Online) - Environments are epic
Pokemon Scarlet - Child's Trapper Keeper

Above is a list of games I rolled credits on this year in the order of how much I enjoyed them. Twenty-twenty three was a year where I finished almost all the games I started, and I replayed as many games as I did start new ones. I suppose this means after five years back in gaming I've come to better understand my tastes as a player, but I know those tastes must be evolving because I have started and fallen off of Ico three times before this year, and it ended up in the top half of a list filled with personal faves.

My house has also grown into more of a place where games are played and talked about as my two daughters have finally found a firm interest in all things Mario in part thanks to the film, and in part thanks to their improved hand eye coordination. I'm still the king of the hill in Smash and Mario Kart, but I'm not as sure as I used to be that that will last until they reach adulthood, and that makes me about as happy as any game I've played alone this year.

Hope everyone has a great 2024 in gaming. Love the new list you put up on the podcast feed.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 22 - Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (Switch)
Feb 8 - Live A Live (Switch)
Feb 22 - Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Steam Deck) (Feb 23 - Best Ending)
Mar 1 - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS5)
Apr 30 - Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS5)
May 19 - Final Fantasy XIII (Steam Deck)
May 22 - Dicey Dungeons (Steam Deck)
May 24 - Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (Steam Deck - GBA emulation)
Jun 19 - Need For Speed Unbound (PS5)
Aug 9 - Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
Aug 12 - Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (Steam Deck - WonderSwan emulation)
Aug 15 - Mutazione (Steam Deck)
Sep 17 - Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)
Oct 24 - Triangle Strategy (Switch)
Nov 7 - Ridge Racer 2 (Steam Deck - PSP Emulation)
Nov 18 - Death's Door (Steam Deck)
Nov 18 - Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament (Steam Deck - GBA emulation)
Nov 19 - Klonoa Beach Volleyball (Steam Deck - PS1 emulation)
Ok, let's finish my 'Year of Klonoa (TM)' then.

Dec 27 - Klonoa Heroes: The Legendary Star Medal (Steam Deck - GBA emulation)

The second non-platformer spin off in the Klonoa series is a top down action RPG on the Game Boy Advance. Never released outside Japan, it got a full fan translation in 2022. There are some instances where a character (not Klonoa himself, I think) says 'shit ' which may be an accurate translation but seems odd given the series. Still, that a niche game like this got a good fan translation is very nice. (I don't speak Japanese so I mean it's nice in how it looks and reads.)

Anyway, the plot, which is not canon to the main games, stays simple. Klonoa is a young lad in a country town who dreams of becoming a hero and gets swept up in an adventure and meets up with two others to stop some evil doers. This is the basic JRPG plot but it is delivered in short dialogue pieces at the start and end of each level and does not outstay its welcome. It isn't to wordy for the genre (which is ironic since the two main platformers are for their genre).

The game is split into levels and those levels are split into 'rooms', i.e. areas with entrances and exits. These 'rooms' will also have enemies, treasure chests, sometimes keys and locked doors and rarely some environmental traps.

Gameplay is mostly centred on combat. The A and B buttons do red and blue attacks which do more damage to the correct type of enemy (enemy health bars are coloured red and blue). One missed opportunity here is that both red and blue attacks are visually and mechanically the same. There are also special attacks which can be used when the special bar has been raised through normal attacks. There are two separate types for each character and are activated by holding down the A or B button. These are required to damage enemies with yellow health bars. Thankfully it recharges quickly. The character being used can be changed with L and items are used with R.

Each character has about 4 or 5 mechanically different weapons which add nice variety. Klonoa (cute kid) focuses on melee and short ranged attacks with his wind ring, swords, boomerangs and more. Guntz (angsty older teen) has different types of guns (on the nose naming there from Namco) and rockets and has the most range. Pango (JRPG old dude, a.k.a. fatherly 30-something) has various types of bombs.

Weapons and armour do not have inherent stats but have a number of slots to put points into for attack, special attack, defence and agility. A point is gained with each level (HP also increases). If a stat is filled completely, that stat gets a bonus, so its not about getting the gear with the most slots but the slots that fit your build, which I thought was cool. Defence is probably the easiest stat to ignore as agility is very important for landing hits. I did sometimes set up the party with an attack specialist and a special attack specialist and boost the defence stat a bit more.

Anyway, I've gone on explaining the game for quite a bit because I was surprised with how much I liked it. I thought it might be too simple and I would get bored but the game is fun and combat is satisfying. As with the rest of the series it is also quite cute and charming. The screen could be zoomed out a bit but that's to be expected on the GBA.