648: The Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we'll be covering in our current volume of podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

648: The Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for The Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis) for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
jkeysgamer

Re: 648: The Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)

Post by jkeysgamer »

Growing up, I was a Nintendo kid through and through. Although I knew without a doubt that the Super Nintendo was the superior gaming console, I did enjoy the occasional trip to a friend's house to sneak a play on his Sega Genesis. Games like Sonic the Hedgehog, and the superior Mortal Kombat port - I'll admit - instilled in me a small bit of envy. Rest assured though, for my RPG and adventure title needs, the SNES was the only choice... or was it?

When I first discovered Beyond Oasis, it was like stumbling upon a whole new genre. Here was a game that was 2 parts Legend of Zelda, 1 part Streets or Rage, with just a pinch of Secret of Mana...and it was on the Genesis!? I needed to check this out. Once I got my hands on a copy, it did not disappoint. An overhead Zelda-like adventure with brawling mechanics provided me with hours of enjoyment. Well, under 10 hours to be exact, which was my only gripe with the game. That, and the fact that there are few - if any other games out there quite like it.

I'll always give Beyond Oasis credit for being the game that opened my eyes to the hitherto un-noticed magic that the Genesis had to offer. More please!