627: Stray

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we'll be covering in our current volume of podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

627: Stray

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Stray for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Hyperdeath84

Re: 627: Stray

Post by Hyperdeath84 »

Stray is the perfect game to relax with, despite its post apocalyptic setting and creepy enemies. Its gameplay is just engaging enough to carry you through while being simple enough that very few people are going to struggle with it. I found the story melancholy in a warm kind of way. I think the cheerful robots you can encounter and playing as a cute cat who can do cute things adds to the sense of charm, and that's what Stray is about for me.

Three word review: cute, charming, melancholy
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Having grown up with cats throughout my childhood, the idea of playing as a plain old cat in a post-apocalypse certainly appealed to me. The cat itself is a really endearing creature, the little trills and purrs bought back lovely memories of old pets. The beginning the game where you are with your cat friends and you are rubbing up against them and grooming them was a nice relaxing prologue to the dystopian landscape you find yourself in. Another nice detail the developers captured about cats is their propensity to cause chaos such as tipping various objects over the edges of tables and interrupting a Mahjong game between two robots. The city itself looks amazing especially when you look at it from the windows of the control room at the end and seeing the sun stream in was a stunning finale to its narrative.

One thing that really stood out to me in this game is the completely gorgeous soundtrack. It absolutely drips with atmosphere and suits the world perfectly. Some of my favourite things to do was just sleep in a spot as this ethereal music played and the camera slowly zooms out showcasing the brightly lit urban jungle you are trying to escape.

Also worthy of comment are the Zurks. These were the perfect antagonists to your little kitty. In other games such as Metroid, Doom or Halo these would be minor irritants easily dispatched with your arsenal of weaponry. Not so here, you can’t fight back and they are deadly in large numbers. Being mutated bacteria also gives them a unique uncanny valley feel to them. They move, behave and sound like animals but something about them just feels off. The sections involving the Zurks were probably the biggest surprise to me as the game would turn into more of a survival horror trying your best to navigate hellish environments without being spotted by these abominations. The sewers with the flesh walls and giant eyes did a great job of making me want to leave this place as fast as possible. It felt great when you get the Defluxor and could finally deal with the Zurks but its propensity to overheat means that you are far from invincible using this weapon and so the Zurks always remain a threat in some form.

Stray was a lovely little title that runs at the perfect length. It has a story to tell and it doesn’t bog the game down with meaningless fluff. If you want a sci-fi world with a simple but effective plot and a cute protagonist, then Stray comes highly recommended.

TWR: robot saviour kitty
TheAngryWalnut

Post by TheAngryWalnut »

I thoroughly enjoyed Stray for the few days I spent in its world. One aspect I really want to highlight here though isn’t its protagonist, but another of its characters - that of the city itself. The beautifully detailed, gritty setting was a joy to roam, in no small part because of its resemblance to Hong Kong. Having lived in the city myself, I found exploring Stray’s dystopian cyberpunk streets positively nostalgic, and just wanted to flag what a wonderful job the developers did!