Stacking

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Stacking

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Stacking for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Rhaegyr

Re: Our next podcast recording (13.1.24) - 602: Stacking

Post by Rhaegyr »

Charming dialogue and writing, a unique and bold aesthetic and some great multi-solution puzzles all wrapped up in a nice short package that doesn't overstay its welcome.

It feels like the greatest non-fatal take on the Hitman series I've ever played.
BlueWeaselBreath

Re: Our next podcast recording (13.1.24) - 602: Stacking

Post by BlueWeaselBreath »

I’ve been wanting to play this game for years, and it’s been in my Steam library for quite some time, and this episode of the podcast finally gave me the impetus to try it out. What a super charming and fun little sandbox!

Tim Schafer games often throw a couple of seemingly unrelated ideas together into a perfectly suited combo that creates wholly original worlds to get sucked into. The juxtaposition of matryoshka dolls and silent film-era trappings somehow goes together in Stacking just as seamlessly as film noir and Día De Muertos did in Grim Fandango. The game’s aesthetics barely seem to have aged at all. The only element of it that I had difficult with was occasionally having trouble finding my way back to where I wanted to go in bigger level like the Zeppelin. This is probably a Me problem, but I tend to get lost in big 3D platformer spaces—so rather than finding it a helpful way of getting oriented, I find the introductory pan through the entire playspace that some 3D games do when you enter the level to be wearying and confusing. Was I supposed to have been able to memorize all that layout and create a cognitive map based on that single pan? And since I wasn’t able to, am I now at an irredeemable disadvantage when I try to pick my way through the level and find things? So when Stacking did the full pan through the last level like a 3D platformer game might have, I’m afraid I got a bit overwhelmed and turned the game off for the evening. I haven’t gone back yet, but definitely plan to.

I did, however, let my 8-year-old daughter play the game, and as I suspected, she had a great time. As soon as she found the doll who passed flatulence, she cackled like a hyena and was completely sold on the experience. Ten stars.