Loom

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Loom

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Loom for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Alex79

Re: 616: Loom

Post by Alex79 »

Started this up last night via ScummVM. Despite being a big fan of the old Lucas adventures I'd never sat and played through this one, bar the opening couple of screens. I like the idea of all the puzzles being based around musical notes. So far, so good. And it looks lovely, too. The musical notes have a really nice synth strings sound to them when you tap of the stave as well. Looking forward to playing more and will report back when I've done so!
Girard

Re: Our next podcast recording (20.4.24) - 616: Loom

Post by Girard »

I played this in the LucasArts Classic Adventures boxed set back in the day - a huge box of floppies I hungrily devoured after falling in love with the studio via their CD ROM talkie games. After loving the riotous and weird likes of Sam and Max and Monkey Island, LOOM was strikingly different. A moody, twilit fantasy with a bespoke interface that challenged you to learn and use a bespoke musical magic system. At the time I enjoyed it, but it left me a little cold. Reflecting on it as an adult, I appreciate its gumption in doing something different both mechanically and tonally from the rest of the LucasArts catalogue without sacrificing the studio's trademark design polish.