650: Baldur's Gate III

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we'll be covering in our current volume of podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

650: Baldur's Gate III

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Baldur's Gate III for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
DaMonth

Re: 650: Baldur's Gate III

Post by DaMonth »

This game is an immaculate take on the feeling of playing in a DnD campaign, in all the best and worst ways. To start, not the game's fault but I wish I didn't go into it with the idea the whole thing was full of absolute freedom. Because it isn't. There's a lot of ways you can tackle situations, sure, but those many ways can be very railroaded. And things that you think should just work sometimes don't because the DM didn't plan for it. Or in this case, the developers. Simple things like being able to wake up characters you knock out with non-lethal damage, for example, or setting a Minor Illusion in the middle of an ambush so you don't get surprised.

I also think the game has a problem with being clear about consequences? Like yes maybe I'm supposed to just commit and roleplay but I'm glad I asked a friend about the tadpoles or else I would have rushed through this game assuming I was gonna turn at any moment, afraid of an invisible timer that didn't exist. Or how using tadpoles actually has no gameplay downsides until the Ascended version but I didn't touch any until lategame because I was worried it would hasten the infection. Telling you which quests will end if you go past a certain point would be nice because I ruined one assuming I wasn't supposed to touch Moonrise until the very end of Act 2.

Initially went into the game with the one rule I wouldn't save scum but by the end of it, I felt like the game cheated me enough with dumb luck that I didn't feel bad cheating back. That being said, it's still a great experience and at the time of writing I plan on replaying it with a mod that doesn't limit the party, considering how the game feels like it's made at odds with how half your warriors just hang out at camp all day but still talk like they were there at the amazing events.

Oh also, I got over it eventually but disappointing that the level cap's at 12. I wanted to play the power fantasy of a Lv.20 wizard you need to dedicate five years of weekends in a basement to achieve.