Yakuza: Like a Dragon

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Yakuza: Like a Dragon for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Tolkientaters

Re: 610: Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Post by Tolkientaters »

This is my favorite Yakuza game.

Ichiban is a inverse to Kiryu, he's an obnoxious, over the top dumbass who can't stay quiet and I love him. The fact that his character suit is also an inverted version of Kiryu's is a great detail. He's a pivotal element of this game because he's just so endearing. As usual the insane twist filled melodramatic storyline was extremely entertaining and compelling even if you could argue its too convoluted for its own good, but that's the Yakuza way.

The wackiness of the side content somehow increased from previous games and they're a ton of fun. The turn based combat isn't the most in-depth, but it stays fun. Seeing what new attack animation you can get for each new job is always entertaining. Although, I didn't experiment with the job system enough and it left me somewhat disadvantaged in the final fight. I was just spamming essence of orbital laser because that's the one attack the boss was weak to.

The business management minigame might be my all time favorite minigame, it was just so addictive. I got to number one business in a few sessions because I was enjoying it so much. Like a Dragon also got me to appreciate Virtua Fighter 5 and I bought the PS4 remaster shortly after.

This game was bonkers in the best way and I can't recommend it enough.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Oh my where to start with this one.

Ive never been a fan of turn based games let alone RPG's. when i heard yakuza was going this was i wasnt pleased AT ALL. They said the judgement series was carrying on the brawler style game play (which ive played and got very bored with) so i wasnt pleased, but thought you know what i need to try as its yakuza after all. And my oh my was i not disappointed. From the get go i was hooked with this game and soon learnt the ways of turn based games and working out what can damage what and powerups etc etc. It was an experience and what better way to experience it than in the world of yakuza. This game was just as bonkers and wacky as i knew it was going to be but also with a heart felt story and the emotion you get from this series.

I loved every moment i played. From being called a cum stain, to becoming homeless, can collecting, business owning, fighting oversized granny and cat sucking roomba's, fighting circus animals, kart racing, what more could you ask for.,

Walking around yokohama was magical, i even pointed out to my mum the places we had walked around in real life Be it on a smaller scale but the chinese temple shrine and one of the buildings on the water front are actually real it was a lovely reminder of being in the place for real.

It was for me an intro into turn based and ive played more since revising skies of arcadia and grandia 2 on my dreamcast as well as going back to valkyria chronicles. Although alot more serious than this game they have been fun.

Depending on when you record the episode for this im currently working my way though infinite wealth and its just as good as this one. Bravo Sega and RGG youve smashed it out the park once again with this game and urge all who havent played it, to give it a try.

(I may edit this post abit to include more as its been quite awhile since ive played it and forget stuff hope thats ok)
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

When I heard that Yakuza was going to become a turn based RPG, I was surprised yet intrigued. With Kiryu’s story concluded, this was a good opportunity to really mix the series up and if you have a new protagonist, why not a new gameplay style? Since I was already partial to turn based RPGs, I was optimistic about this new direction.

In my estimation, RGG studios succeeded greatly. Little things like active button presses to defend and unleash attacks and your character grabbing objects to bash opponents gave the battle system a nice Yakuza style coat of paint. The way that RPG mechanics and tropes such as job systems, summons, the hero finding the mystical sword and the obligatory sewer dungeon were implemented in a modern day Japan setting was inspired. Like a Dragon also has some of the best storytelling in the series so far with great character development and how the complexity of various social problems cannot be easily resolved with balck and white thinking. Ichiban Kasuga is a fantastic protagonist, a loveable loud mouth who charges headlong into any situation without thinking. I think his character even fits with the gameplay change as he is nowhere at the level of strength and fighting prowess as the Tojo clan legends so he cannot rely on just himself to sort things out, he needs a good party behind him. Speaking of, it is very refreshing to have a JRPG party that is actually full of middle aged, world weary adults and hearing their banter throughout the city really endeared me to them.

This was my first time playing a Yakuza game with English voice acting and I have to say that the voice acting was wonderful here full of great performances. The english version of Baka Mitai for example, turned out better than I expected with Nanba’s lovely singing voice. It is heart warming to see how far voice acting in games has progressed from the days of Jill sandwiches.

To sum up, LAD has been a true triumph in their first foray in turn based RPG antics. It integrates old elements of the series with new so elegantly that I urge anyone who is skeptical of the change in gameplay to give it a go. Right up there with Yakuza 0 as a must play of the series.

P.S. Also I was so happy when the sad substory music of 0 returned!

TWR: Ichiban’s stunning debut
Tbone254

Re: Our next podcast recording (9.3.24) - 610: Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Post by Tbone254 »

I had just finished a play through of Chrono Cross and was looking at something else to dive into. I usually like to switch the genres up with each new game and since I had just finished a pretty epic journey with a JRPG, I figured I would try my hand at a brawler. I had heard of the Yakuza series before but had never played through them one and since the latest Yakuza game was just released on Gamepass I figured it would be the perfect start. I’m sure you’ll see the irony here. By the time I realized the game was a turn based RPG, it was too late. My wife and I, she typically watches me play through games, were hooked. Kasuga is just too charming. He’s a giant, nerdy, goofball with a massive heart of gold and endless enthusiasm. He is easily one of my favorite video game characters.
While Kasuga certainly provides most of the appeal for me. The entire cast brings enough to the game to be entertaining throughout.

I really enjoyed the turn based combat, especially with how it incorporates the environment and the characters positions within it. There’s just something really special about watching Kasuga pick up a trash can that was a part of the environment before the battle began and then bash an enemy with it. And kicking people into the streets to get hit by cars never gets old. I also love how all of these old JRPG tropes, that normally make sense in a fantasy setting, have been incorporated in the modern setting, like phoning in a pound mate instead of casting a summon or spitting flaming liquor instead of casting a fire spell. It’s all done in such a fun and creative way that makes sense for the setting of the game.

I had so much fun with this game. It is incredibly upbeat even in its darker moments. It’s just a breath of fresh air to play something that is filled with so much positivity, especially so considering the subject matter of the story. The entire game is just filled with a perfect amount of that kooky Japanese weirdness and I love it for it, and it was easily my personal game of the year.