Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by JaySevenZero »

Alex79 wrote: February 9th, 2024, 5:40 pm Not sure I even knew this was coming but it looks great!

An adaption of James Clavell's novel, Shogun, on Disney+.
Pfft! There's a thread just a few further down from this one about films & TV in '24 that mentioned this back in December! :D

Personally, I can't wait to start watching this, the production looks superb.

Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Dazed and Confused
I didn’t hate it but I really struggled with it. I think the main problem is that I just couldn’t relate to it as I just didn’t have that experience of drinking culture at secondary school and actively tried to avoid it. (Yes I’m boring). It reminded me of why I didn’t vibe with Superbad for the same reason. I also thought there were far too many characters and plot lines to keep track of. 2/5
nosleeptill0blivion

Post by nosleeptill0blivion »

Finished True Detective S4 today. Don't think I've seen a show with so much promise crash and burn so spectacularly.

At least it was nice to look at.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I also finished True Detective Season 4. I didn't hate it but it was pretty average. A lot of style over substance. It didn't really feel like a detective show to me as it was more focused on it's other themes. I'll admit that I didn't see the ending coming but equally it didn't wow me.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I enjoyed True Detective season 4, for me it was much better than season 2 (haven't seen the third season) and the fact that it was six episodes meant it didn't out stay its welcome. Masters of the Air still continues to wow and come Tuesday there's Shogun to watch.

Oh, and a new trailer for Civil War dropped.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

There's only the two episode premiere to go on at the time of writing but if they are any indication as to the quality of this series then Shōgun's gonna be an absolutely stand out, even amongst the stunning TV we've had so far this year.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Watched Perfect Days yesterday, directed by Wim Wenders and starring Koji Yakusho and was simply a beautiful, mediative film. Highly recommended.

Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Been watching Shogun (I am a massive fan of the OG tv adaptation) and this new version is just sublime. Absolutely in love with it already. I was hoping they would be releasing a larger number of episodes, but this is just a testament to how much I want to experience this show as long as possible.

Masters of the Air, which is superb and just simply gorgeous to look at. I am not one to compare shows usually, but I do not think it's on the same level narratively as Band of Brothers. But, this does not in any way take away from how brilliant this show is to watch and engross yourself in. I was hoping they'd do more episodes as it seems like they have far too many stories to tell and this shows in how disjointed it can feel at times. That said, great cast and great set pieces galore. Two thumbs way up.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

JaySevenZero wrote: March 7th, 2024, 4:04 pm Watched Perfect Days yesterday, directed by Wim Wenders and starring Koji Yakusho and was simply a beautiful, mediative film. Highly recommended.

Agreed, this is a fantastic movie
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Just saw Loves Lies Bleeding. I loved it, it was fantastic, a tense well directed grimy thriller. Great soundtrack, really atmospheric, with a fantastic cast. I can't recommend it enough. It's nice to see a good contained thriller that doesn't overstay it's welcome. It is a very horny violent movie, but if that's what you're looking for, it's great.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Tolkientaters wrote: March 15th, 2024, 1:15 pm Just saw Loves Lies Bleeding. I loved it, it was fantastic, a tense well directed grimy thriller.
Looking forward to watching this, loved the trailer, has a great cast and the director's last film, Saint Maud, also left quite a mark.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

I gotta check out Saint Maud
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Tolkientaters wrote: March 15th, 2024, 1:15 pm Just saw Loves Lies Bleeding. I loved it, it was fantastic, a tense well directed grimy thriller. Great soundtrack, really atmospheric, with a fantastic cast. I can't recommend it enough. It's nice to see a good contained thriller that doesn't overstay it's welcome. It is a very horny violent movie, but if that's what you're looking for, it's great.
Is it more thriller or horror?

EDIT: Just watched the trailer, I think I can cope with that. Looks really good. Can't wait for that.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Finished up Masters of the Air on Friday. It's not normally a genre of TV I would go for but I enjoyed it. Really great acting and showed the true horrors of war that pilots encountered but there were some moments of hope and happiness in there. I thought maybe it could have been a shorter series as some episodes dragged a little without much happening but that's a minor nitpick.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

We watched the first episode of The Gentlemen on Netflix last night, which is a series seemingly based on a Guy Ritchie film that I've not seen. It seems to be almost a UK equivalent of Breaking Bad or Ozark, and it was enjoyable. We'll definitely be watching the rest of the series. It also guest starred Giancarlo Esposito in the first episode, and although it doesn't seem as though he will be a recurring character, he's always watchable in my book. Also, a great turn by Peter Serafinowicz in episode one, but then he's excellent in everything.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Truk_Kurt wrote: March 18th, 2024, 9:14 am Is it more thriller or horror?
It's definitely a thriller though there is some gruesome violence.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Alex79 wrote: March 18th, 2024, 1:52 pm We watched the first episode of The Gentlemen on Netflix last night, which is a series seemingly based on a Guy Ritchie film that I've not seen.
I enjoyed the film much more than I liked the series, which at times felt like a poor, straight-to-dvd rip-off but that's possibly just due to having Theo James as its lead since he happens to have all the charisma of a boiled cauliflower.

The film is often on rotation on Netflix/Prime so I would definitely recommend checking it out when it returns if you enjoy the series.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Watched The Animal Kingdom this evening. I had little to no idea of what this film was actually about going in so was pleasantly surprised by it and how its story unfolds.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JaySevenZero wrote: March 18th, 2024, 5:37 pm
Alex79 wrote: March 18th, 2024, 1:52 pm We watched the first episode of The Gentlemen on Netflix last night, which is a series seemingly based on a Guy Ritchie film that I've not seen.
I enjoyed the film much more than I liked the series, which at times felt like a poor, straight-to-dvd rip-off but that's possibly just due to having Theo James as its lead since he happens to have all the charisma of a boiled cauliflower.

The film is often on rotation on Netflix/Prime so I would definitely recommend checking it out when it returns if you enjoy the series.
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it. Never been massively in to his movies, mind you I only ever watched Lock Stock and Snatch, but enjoyed the first two episodes of the Gentlemen show so will give it a go.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Watched Killers of the Flower Moon. I enjoyed it but ultimately thought it was too long, there were a few scenes I felt didn't really add anything or scenes which were just repeating something that had already been established. Can't criticise any of the performances of cinematography though. 3.5/5