Really great 'retro' collections

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Really great 'retro' collections

Post by Alex79 »

Caligulas Horse wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 10:50 am Haven't had too many others to compare, but I have a love for the Sega Mega Drive Collection mostly because that was my first time playing Streets of Rage, which is now one of my favourite games series. Also my first time playing Phantasy Star IV, which I liked quite a bit. And also replaying games like Golden Axe and Sonic that I had played as a kid via what I now realise was an emulator that my uncle hooked us up with.

I think I recall hearing on the podcast a few times that the collection actually isn't a very good way to play any of the games, but it wasn't something I picked up on myself.
There are loads of different Sega collections for pretty much every generation of console going back to the Saturn era. Some collections I think are better than others, with input lag being the main issue on some of them. I've owned various collections for the PSP, PS3 and PS4 and they're certainly playable, if not perfect. I think the most recent Switch collection was particularly highlighted as having input delay issues, but I've not played that one. You certainly get a lot of games for your money, whichever collection you pick up.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Alex79 wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 11:59 am
Caligulas Horse wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 10:50 am Haven't had too many others to compare, but I have a love for the Sega Mega Drive Collection mostly because that was my first time playing Streets of Rage, which is now one of my favourite games series. Also my first time playing Phantasy Star IV, which I liked quite a bit. And also replaying games like Golden Axe and Sonic that I had played as a kid via what I now realise was an emulator that my uncle hooked us up with.

I think I recall hearing on the podcast a few times that the collection actually isn't a very good way to play any of the games, but it wasn't something I picked up on myself.
There are loads of different Sega collections for pretty much every generation of console going back to the Saturn era. Some collections I think are better than others, with input lag being the main issue on some of them. I've owned various collections for the PSP, PS3 and PS4 and they're certainly playable, if not perfect. I think the most recent Switch collection was particularly highlighted as having input delay issues, but I've not played that one. You certainly get a lot of games for your money, whichever collection you pick up.
Yeah, I should be more specific. I had this one

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah yeah that's the one I had for PS3. I think the PS4 and Switch versions are more or less the same. It's a massive collection of games!