Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Truk_Kurt

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Tetris
Another good business docu drama. Certainly told a more interesting story than I ever anticipated. Thought it was maybe a bit long at 2 hours and not sure if some of the more crazy stuff that happened like car chases to the airport actually happened but I don’t mind a little bit of exaggeration for dramatic purposes in a film like this. 3/5
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Been watching 3 Body Problem on Netflix, I have zero knowledge of the Remembrance of Earth's Past novels it's based on and so have no idea how faithful it is to the source but I'm enjoying it very much so far (4 eps in at time of writing).

Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Just Watched Monkey Man. It's sick. When you here an actor you like is directing, writing, and starting in their directorial debut it can be a little worrying, but Dev Patel pulled it off. It's a great revenge movie with fantastic action and a clear theme. It's not subtle, but I really enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone especially if you you liked The Raid and it's sequel.

It's does have some pretty brutal stomach churning violence which understandably could be a turn off for some people.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just watched the first episode of Telemarketers (Sky/Now TV) after Louis Theroux posted about it earlier on Twitter. It's really interesting. An undercover investigation in to telemarketing scams in the US, by two complete amateur film makers who worked in the centres. It's only three episodes but if you're not hooked after the first then I don't know what to say! It's good.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Watched the first two episodes of the Fallout show, it's fun and it does a good job capturing the tone of the game.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

I watched the Sympathizer's first episode and it's great. I've been looking foward to it for a while and it delivered, it's got the fantastic acting, slick editing, and the intense direction you'd expect from Park Chan-Wook. The first episode does throw you right in to a spy thriller with some non linear elements, buy they were pretty clear and understandable. This is looking to be a great show and I can't recommend it enough.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Partly because I have no attention span to commit to TV series and partly because of a bloody minded stubbornness to refuse to watch or play anything everyone is telling me I need to, I've only just got around to watching Squid Game on Netflix. Watched five episodes over the last three nights. It's good, innit.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Well I finished Squid Game and thought it was great, looking forward to season 2 later this year.

Anyone watching Baby Reindeer on Netflix? True story of a comedian dealing with a clearly mentally unwell stalker. Quite unsettling in places and episode four goes to some very dark places. Only 7 episodes long and they're mostly around thirty minutes each (some a little longer) but it is very good.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

It's on my list now I have just finished Three Body problem, Treble Winners and the final episode of Shogun is out this week.

I thought Three Body Problem was ok, I thought it was a bit inconsistent in terms of each episodes quality. I also thought it was tricky to follow at times with the concepts it was trying to get across.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Still mean to get round to Shogun, but I'm watching Sandman at the moment so want to finish that first. Funny, I was hopeful they'd one day make a Sandman series ever since reading the books over 20 years ago, then it finally came out, was highly critically acclaimed and I never bothered watching it!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Alex79 wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 5:08 pm Still mean to get round to Shogun, but I'm watching Sandman at the moment so want to finish that first. Funny, I was hopeful they'd one day make a Sandman series ever since reading the books over 20 years ago, then it finally came out, was highly critically acclaimed and I never bothered watching it!
Off topic but I know you enjoyed Drive to Survive despite not having interest in Formula One, have you ever tried any football documentaries? I know you don't follow football massively but I think if you enjoyed Drive to Survive there are certain football docs you would really enjoy. The king of them all Sunderland Till I die season one and two on netflix (season 3 is pretty average).

It's so interesting because the football club is run like a circus, especially in season one when they had just been relegated from the premier league the season before and the expectation was for them to be promoted as the first attempt, but needless to say that things don't go as hoped. I won't spoil anymore though, it's one of my favourite documentaries of any kind and is considered by most people to be the best football documentary.

Side note, the company who bought F1, Liberty media, who ultimately lead to signing off on Drive to survive, have recently bought MotoGP, so we can expect a similar series on MotoGP in the coming years. I don't follow MotoGP but will likely give a drive to survive style documentary a go.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I meant to watch that Sunderland one and never got round to it. I watched a few episodes of the one about Wrexham which was pretty interesting.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Alex79 wrote: April 25th, 2024, 6:28 pm Yeah I meant to watch that Sunderland one and never got round to it. I watched a few episodes of the one about Wrexham which was pretty interesting.
The Wrexham one is ok, but The Sunderland one is on another level. Seems more authentic and more interesting because unlike the Wrexham one, they aren't going through a good season.
K1tsnats

Post by K1tsnats »

Finishing up Fallout on Prime.