Dragon's Dogma

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Dragon's Dogma

Post by Simonsloth »

Haha amazing!! He was named by my 2 year old daughter after Gerald the Giraffe from Peppa Pig! She also designed him much to my older son’s jealousy. He gets to pick the other companion pawns though so thinks he’s got the better deal.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Thank you Taffer (Jon) and Jay (JaySevenZero).

With the help of your pawns I brought down the Dragon and earned back what was mine! Great game made all the better with companionship!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Lovely news, happy to have been a part of it!

The post game is where dragon's dogma gets truly weird and in my opinion even better, btw :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Yeah it seemed a bit short if I’m honest and I still wanted more when the credits rolled! I suppose I’m comparing it to Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls which both sort of dragged on a bit too long in my opinion. I wondered how you were level 200 and Jay level 63 when I was only a lowly 45 at the end so knew there was more to be seen. Are there proper main quests to be tackled or is it lots of bonkers side quests?

Loved the final boss fight which was a fantastic spectacle!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

There is a huge story beat you can kick off by going back to Gran Soren ... also there are new notice board quests and
Spoiler: show
the world has filled up with more dangerous creatures and boss fights again, hydras and chimeras and etc. But the best fights and loot are to be found in the big endgame dungeon crawl that ties into the main story when you return to Gran Soren.
And then after THAT, you might feel ready to check out the DLC. You can get to the Bitterblack Isle from the pier at night in Cassardis.

I probably killed the dragon at around a similiar level, I'm level 200 because your character level carries over through NG+ and Hard Mode runs and I've beaten the game several times by now and gone through Bitterblack many times.

If you are loving the game there's plenty still to do!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Simonsloth wrote: October 14th, 2020, 5:10 pm Thank you Taffer (Jon) and Jay (JaySevenZero).

With the help of your pawns I brought down the Dragon and earned back what was mine! Great game made all the better with companionship!
Heh! No worries!

But yeah, the game is full of surprises at this point, as Jon has already pointed out head back to Gran Soren and of course, there's also Bitterblack.

Plenty left to enjoy!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I started this on Switch last night. The start seems to be a bit confusing really. You start off as a generic guy and get dropped in to a battle with some goblins. Then a chimera turns up and kills me, but it doesn't give me a chance to try again it just has a cut scene and then I have to make my character. After that you start in a village and a pawn appears and you need to head towards some encampment down the road. Except the pawn keeps saying stuff like 'stocking up in the village will help us on our journey', but there's no shops or anything in the village...? I'm all for games without any hand holding but this is just confusing.

Also - no lock on? Gah.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: December 30th, 2020, 10:12 am I started this on Switch last night. The start seems to be a bit confusing really. You start off as a generic guy and get dropped in to a battle with some goblins. Then a chimera turns up and kills me, but it doesn't give me a chance to try again it just has a cut scene and then I have to make my character. After that you start in a village and a pawn appears and you need to head towards some encampment down the road. Except the pawn keeps saying stuff like 'stocking up in the village will help us on our journey', but there's no shops or anything in the village...? I'm all for games without any hand holding but this is just confusing.

Also - no lock on? Gah.
Stick with it. I think I started it 4 or 5 times before it finally clicked. Once I worked out you can only track one quest at once and to make sure you get two pawns as you as you the game became clearer. Try at the beginning to do some of the side missions in the little village so you can get used to the map and basic functions.

The mistake I made was heading straight to the main city grossly underpowered and confused.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

As Simon says, it's worth having a thorough look around Cassardis for a few small quests. Check the notice board at the inn. There's also a merchant across from the inn and to your left as you walk up the street.

You'll find better pawns and items at the Encampment though, and if you really want to head there first it shouldn't be too difficult if you go in the daytime.

Good luck! It isn't like Skyrim where you can just pick a direction and go a-roaming, it has a path it wants you to follow at least initially. Hope you enjoy it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'm a couple of hours in and enjoying it so far. I've made my main pawn and fought a hydra. I took a mission down a well and got pretty much one shotted by the monsters down there, though. I'm still running round with my rusty old sword and shield mind you, haven't found anyone selling weapons yet! Some woman in the encampment is hassling me to go to a city with her, but I remember about not heading to the big city straight away so still wandering around the starting area.

Is Cassardis literally the village you wake up in at the start of the game? I've not found anything in that village, no inn, no merchant, no missions other than the well one! I'll have another look around later.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Yeah that's Cassardis... I reckon you want to have another look around :D

And yes I'd get more comfortable with your gear and abilities before taking on the trek to the city.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

There’s no harm in venturing a little bit down the road either. Not at night though, never at night.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm really liking this. About 25 or so hours in to it now, and mainly been doing side quests. It's perfect on Switch. I'm not sure whether I'd be getting bored by the repetitive nature of some of the quests playing it on PS4 or whatever in big, long sessions, but opening it up for 30-90 minutes and pottering around doing stuff is really good. The most exciting mission so far was going out to the Shadow Fort to defend it against goblins and cyclops, that was cool and had a pretty epic battle feel about it.

I'm finding story progression kind of confusing. It seems as though you just sort of stumble upon the next bit to move it along. Like I was just wandering around and then found Maximillian outside the palace, and his missions seemed to be 'the main quest'. So I did them, then went to visit the king guy or whoever he is, and he was just like 'oh yeah go and see Aldous' or whatever his name is. There doesn't seem to be kind of a big "THESE ARE THE MAIN QUEST MISSIONS" indication, so you're never really sure what to prioritise next.

Where I'm at to now is going to help some soldiers fight a griffen. Its Aldous first quest he gives you, basically.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Yeah for the main quest Aldous is the geezer to talk to.

Glad you're getting into it now! The Shadow Fort is an excellent set piece, it's true.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Given all the excitement about Dragons Dogma 2 I decided to play the first game since I've started it twice and never finished it. I thought on my last attempt I'd not got too far but looking at my Switch stats it seems I'd put 35 hours in to it! Started again, anyway. I'm under no illusion I'll finish it, I can't seem to finish anything at the moment, keep playing 10-30 hours of games and moving on to something else (which is kind of annoying me) but enjoying being back in that world all the same.