The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by DomsBeard »

Anyone played Zombiu yet? Twitter are making it out to be the greatest game in the history of the world at the moment.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

DomsBeard wrote:Anyone played Zombiu yet? Twitter are making it out to be the greatest game in the history of the world at the moment.
I haven't played it, but the critical reception has been very mixed. GameInformer and IGN weren't so keen on it. Giant Bomb and Destructoid liked it though.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Part of the problem is the first two reviews you listed, reviewed it before the online features were enabled.

My understanding is that the online functionality significantly improves the game (dark souls style).
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Once again a console has launched without any demo pods in any shops that I have visited. Do none gamers even know this console has launched? I would love to have a go on one but just like with the launches of 3DS and Vita I've found nowhere that's showing the damn thing. Granted I live in Cornwall and not a big city, but this week I've visited HMV, Game, Curry's and PC World, yet none of these have given the console decent shelf space let alone a demo pod.

Shops are getting very poor at this. I remember when the Vita launched and all I could find was one on show in HMV Truro hidden amongst the iPads and tablets and they hadn't even bothered to download any demos, let alone games, so all you could do was navigate menus on it :evil:
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Game aren't rolling out their Wii U demo units until late Dec which seems crazy to me.

I've just been in the flagship store and even they don't have them!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

We've got our Xmas displays up, with a 360/kinect stand, but not one for Wii U. Strange.
Genuinely would love one, if I had the funds I'd totally pick one up.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm not interested in one at all, but I'd love to hear some feedback on how comfortable that huge tablet controller is after a lengthy play sessions. The thing looks ridiculous.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I will have a Wii U as soon as I possibly can.
I think the pad is cool and friends I know who have a Wii U already (such as Tony and James) report no discomfort from lengthy sessions.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Wizard Of Odd wrote:I'm not interested in one at all, but I'd love to hear some feedback on how comfortable that huge tablet controller is after a lengthy play sessions. The thing looks ridiculous.
The pad, in all honesty, is one of the best pads I have ever used. It's sturdy yet lightweight without feeling cheap. It's perfect for holding it with one hand and manipulating the touch screen with the other when needed.

The distance between the sticks doesn't bother me and the button layout is sound. It's probably the most comfortable pad since the GameCube.

Battery life is weak, though and when a game demands the TV ie ZombiU the bottom screen doesn't really come into play until you start scanning the rooms for loot.

All in all, and i'm not the only one to say this (Rab Florence, Jim Sterling) say it's one of the best control pads around. Nintendo hitting their stride again.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Xantiriad wrote:Part of the problem is the first two reviews you listed, reviewed it before the online features were enabled.

My understanding is that the online functionality significantly improves the game (dark souls style).
It's pretty good, yeah. When you see that evilnoob has been infected in the tower of london and your next destination is that, then you know that you're in for a harder time with a potential greater reward depending on what he was holding at the time.

The note system doesn't seem to be all that great nor necessary, mind
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I know so many people across the Internet have said this about the WiiU, but I can't help but reiterate how absolutely amazing it is that I have yet to actually turn the TV on when playing.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Roy42 wrote:I know so many people across the Internet have said this about the WiiU, but I can't help but reiterate how absolutely amazing it is that I have yet to actually turn the TV on when playing.
It's a feature that before I had one I thought was a bit "yeah that's okay but it's not going to be used much". Last night I played & finished Dishonored whilst my wife played Little Inferno, Trine 2 and Mario U all on the GamePad!

It's proved to be a very useful addition.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Their simply aren't the games yet to interest me in the wii u, but I LOVE the idea of being able to play on the controller while my wife watches the telly.

My worry is that by the time that games I want come around I'll be more interested (bearing in mind limited funds) in the next gen consoles.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Just wondered if I can get some advice on the Wii U, please. My niece and nephew are about to have a very exciting Christmas, and are getting a Wii U between them.

With regards to updating it, they have one family computer and is the only device online in the house. Therefore, they've never got wifi and the kids are pretty young so going online with the console isn't something they want/need to do.

However, they do want to use the Wii backwards compatibility option. Am I right that you can only do this if you upgrade the firmware? I've said I will handle the update for them if needed (so I hope it doesn't go wrong!). Their old Wii has never been online, can I transfer saves across?

I presume this is something I can do after Christmas, and they won't be missing out on anything by it just being out of the box and offline on Christmas day?
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

The "Wii Mode" and the Wii system transfer require the initial update, but that won't (shouldn't?) stop them from being able to play WiiU games on the day.

If the only thing on their regular Wii is game saves, I don't think they need to system transfer, but don't quote me on that.
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

I would do the update before Christmas. The Wii Menu mode isn't available until you do the update for a start and you need to have both devices connected to the net to transfer saves etc from the Wii to the Wii U (a one time only non-reversible process BTW).

EDIT: you can apparently copy Wii save data to the Wii U without the transfer tool via an SD card but you need to load the game up at least once on the Wii U before it accepts the save data onto the system. You'd still need the Wii U system update first though. Be aware that some Wii games do not allow saves to be copied to an SD card, such as Mario Kart Wii. You can move them via the transfer tool though.

TBH, I think it would be far easier if the family in question invested in a wireless router at this stage.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

You may as well move the saves as part of the license transfer. They only take a minute or two in the process.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Updating/transfarring on Christmas day means competing for Nintendo's bandwidth with all the other Christmas WiiUs in what is already a very slow process. Definitely a good idea to do it in advance.

Also, if this is coming from Santa, it'd be pretty cool to have profiles and Miis of your niece and nephew set up on it already :D Be sure to wipe that mofo for fingerprints before you box it back up though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I bought a Wii U today! :D

Add me, people: RatsoAlbion is my ID
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Just listened to the SHFTS podcast and had a few questions.

When you all mentioned the DS porting likelihood near the end of the show have any games demonstrated how you can make a game that supports the pad play accomodate dual screen style games when purely in tablet mode?

I can see Elite Beat Agents working if it was purely a tablet screen only experience, do any of you think they might make an exclusive section of the store for things like this?

Planning to get a Wii U in the new year but I just wanted to ask about a little as I had preconceptions of the 3DS nerfing it's own power capabilities by rendering things twice (totally unfounded as the latest games have shown) but felt the Wii U might fall into this trap too in its early stages.

Can't wait for The Wonderful 101 (just wish I stopped internally calling it Wonder Project J2), is anyone else a bit excited by it?