Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by DomsBeard »

Just started Rage, only played 30 minutes and the opening is far better than the boring demo. Great enemy AI and it looks great too.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

The enemy AI (on Nightmare) is great fun and the animations are brilliant. They are what pulled me in and kept me playing till I finished it. That and the visual style really appealed.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I don't know what it is, but, for some reason, a lot of people (myself included) are playing Rage now.

Did John Carmack release some kind of crazy chemical into the atmosphere that made everyone want to give it a shot? I wouldn't put it past him.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

NokkonWud wrote:The enemy AI (on Nightmare) is great fun and the animations are brilliant. They are what pulled me in and kept me playing till I finished it. That and the visual style really appealed.
Yeah I'm playing on Nightmare as you recommended. Not used to enemies jumping/ducking it's refreshing
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Just finished Dead Space. I really can't belive I waited so long to play this game. Would love to see the makers of it go on to make a Alien game!!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Bakers_12 wrote:Just finished Dead Space. I really can't belive I waited so long to play this game. Would love to see the makers of it go on to make a Alien game!!
Yeah, the Dead Space games have been a couple of my favourites this generation. I would suggest a break before playing the second game so you don't burn out, but definitely put it in your list for in a couple of months, I personally think it tops the first one.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Dead Space 2 is better for so many reasons, but yeah have a break to get your nerves back before taking it on!.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Even excluding the infinite flamethrower, Magnum and SMG I picked up while playing last night, Deadly Premonition is fucking amazing. So glad I got a copy for myself.
SnakeyDave

Post by SnakeyDave »

I've been playing quite a varied selection of games at the mo'.

Gravity Rush. Quite charming but after getting half way through sent it back to love film. The central mechanic is just not that interesting to me and combat is a bit of a chore. Glad I tried it though.

Tomb Raider. That's right the first one, saw on the vita store and bought on impulse. I only got to about level 5ish when I first played it, must've got distracted by heart of darkness or something. It's really quite good, if somewhat cumbersome to control. Still incredibly atmospheric. Something about being completely alone, only hearing your echoing footfalls. When the music comes in, it's always really affecting.

Timesplitters 2. After having a quick go a Gplex I've been wanting to play this and second sight again for ages. Ended up getting an original xbox so i could. The art style really holds up since it's so stylised. It's been surpassed obviously but it's really pleasant to play a shooter that is genuinely funny, not gory, or po-faced, and really fun.

God I ought to play something new. Though I played sleeping dogs recently. Pretty good. Mark of the ninja next.

I kinda want to go back to dead space 2 now. Not scary at all, but a good game nonetheless. Far better paced than the first one, though I enjoyed that too.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Thanks for the advice guys going to have a little MGS shaped brake. Nerves need a rest after playing Dead Space in the dark , on my own in the house!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Dead Space 2 not scary at all?.
Spoiler: show
The return to the Ishimura and the Stalkers scared the crap out of me!
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

Am I the only one who prefers Dead Space to Dead Space 2?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No, I think Dead Space was the more memorable experience.

Edit: Pretty sure we did a podcast on this, way back in the early days of C&R :)
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I prefer Dead Space 1 as well. Dead Space 2 is a fine game, but Dead Space 1 had more iconic moments for me.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

yep, another one here who prefers the first Dead Space. I preferred the more claustrophobic atmosphere and tension.
Although I remember that one section in DS2 when you go back onto the Ishimura - my god that was creepy.
Most intense section of the two games IMO.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Might want to spoiler that bit it was a massive surprise for me and a great section. Dead Space was brilliant don't get me wrong but it outstayed its welcome a bit. I got a bit annoyed with 'Isaac do this' 'Isaac do that' towards the end. Was never bored in 2 except for the god awful final boss, I saw that death animation about 30 times and felt like doing it to myself!
Isaac shooting his face off.
Replayed Dead Space recently and I remember using a node bench on the mine bit and a necromorph landing on my head as I exited the screen and shitting myself. This time round I was fully prepared for it, used it and then nothing.... Turned around and it was sat behind me waiting for me to turn around. I actually screamed!!. Not since hunters in Resi 1 had I done that!.

We all know what the first letters of each chapter spell out don't we?
Nicole Is Dead
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

sorry about that, it's been kindly done for me!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The Mod Squad at your service! :ugeek:
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Was greatly enjoying myself in Deadly Premonition. Then I hit a glitch that stops my progress in the game and had to restart. At the very least, I hit it about eight hours in, rather than right before the end of the game at the other point it can happen.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

What difficulty are you playing on Roy? As my copy was a loan and I was more interested in the story and the features than the combat (which is ropey as hell) I played it on Easy. I've kept the save game safe in the cloud for a potential NG+ if I ever buy the game though.