Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Pitwar

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Pitwar »

I've been playing a ridiculous amount of Call Of Duty Ghosts online the past few weeks.

I wasn't really taken with Ghosts back when I picked it on on PS4 launch day but after seeing the trailer for Advanced Warfare it gave me the itch to play some COD, so I thought I'd give Ghosts another bash.

I've somehow become totally addicted, so much so that I bought the season pass to gain access to the new maps that have been released and set me up for the ones that are going to follow.

One thing I'll say is that the map pack maps are way better than those that come as standard, just way more variety and they seem a little more creative in the way they are laid out.

Also, I hit my first prestige last night which is a personal achievement. I've played all the COD's since 4 but have never managed to rank up to the top level like I have in Ghosts.

To say I'm really pleased that I gave it another shot is an understatement. It's really cool to be excited about COD again and I'm looking forward to seeing what the new map packs bring.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Football Manager 2014 is currently 75% off on Steam. My social life is now 100% reduced.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Mario Land 2 on 3DS VC. The game hasn't aged a bit. Amazing technical achievement on the old Gameboy looking back.

*** CANE AND RINSE PLEASE DO THE MARIO LAND GAMES!!! ***

:)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Finnished the latest Wolf among us,pretty good but I cant help but see how linear the game is this is basically a visual novel at this point I could get somewhat behind the linearity of the walking dead because it served the story and the important thing was the character interactions but here where you have to solve a mystery it just doesnt work as well.This reminds me I really hope Murdered soul suspect isnt like this otherwise it's gonna be a let down.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah agree Todinho, brilliant again if a little short I thought.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Watch Dogs!

It's a GTA clone with base conquest lifted from Far Cry 3 and lookout points from Assassin's Creed! It has the 'find the right camera angle to line up the bits of an image' from the Arkham games!

It's really rather good, but isn't quite the amazing thing the early demos made it out to be!

Basically, it's not particularly original beyond it's premise, it takes elements from pretty much every decent open world game of the previous generation and uses them all. Playing on Xbox One and it doesn't seem like that much of a visual step beyond GTA5 on the 360 either, although Rockstar are obviously the best in the business at building engines for this sort of game so it's not really fair comparison.

(I'm also finding it interesting that the game so far hinges on the main character's need to protect his sister and her family rather than a girlfriend or wife, we don't see enough sibling relationships in games if you ask me
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Pitwar wrote:I've been playing a ridiculous amount of Call Of Duty Ghosts online the past few weeks.

I wasn't really taken with Ghosts back when I picked it on on PS4 launch day but after seeing the trailer for Advanced Warfare it gave me the itch to play some COD, so I thought I'd give Ghosts another bash.

I've somehow become totally addicted, so much so that I bought the season pass to gain access to the new maps that have been released and set me up for the ones that are going to follow.

One thing I'll say is that the map pack maps are way better than those that come as standard, just way more variety and they seem a little more creative in the way they are laid out.

Also, I hit my first prestige last night which is a personal achievement. I've played all the COD's since 4 but have never managed to rank up to the top level like I have in Ghosts.

To say I'm really pleased that I gave it another shot is an understatement. It's really cool to be excited about COD again and I'm looking forward to seeing what the new map packs bring.

I always felt people were overly critical of Ghosts. I actually enjoyed the SP and Extinction is brilliant. I played the heck out of it when I got my PS4 but, like you said, the maps in the standard package aren't actually that good. I do have the season pass but I've not gotten round to playing any of the new maps yet!
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Flabyo wrote:(I'm also finding it interesting that the game so far hinges on the main character's need to protect his sister and her family rather than a girlfriend or wife, we don't see enough sibling relationships in games if you ask me
Talking to Pete (Chunky Monkie) and, whilst in voice comms, after hours of playing, he goes "ooooh, it's his SISTER! That makes more sense, thought that was weird." (or something along those lines.)

I also had a friend come round and play it, he also didn't cotton on to the fact it's his sister. I don't think it's that they don't make it clear but more that we're so ingrained into believing that it's going to be a wife/daughter/son than sister/neice/nephew. I quite like that.
Woodfella

Post by Woodfella »

I couldn't really find a relevant thread so apologies but can anyone on here read Japanese? I've been thinking of buying a game off yahoo japan and want to make sure the description of it doesnt say "cartridge is actually made of cardboard" It's a lot cheaper than usual you see
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Jay's wife knows a bit of Japanese... :)
Are you there laikamuttnik?
Beck

Post by Beck »

I've been trying to finish transistor but just can't find the motivation. It looks nice, the combat is interesting but I'm finding the story a chore. It's just not gripped me like bastion did.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Flabyo wrote:Watch Dogs!

It's a GTA clone with base conquest lifted from Far Cry 3 and lookout points from Assassin's Creed! It has the 'find the right camera angle to line up the bits of an image' from the Arkham games!

It's really rather good, but isn't quite the amazing thing the early demos made it out to be!

Basically, it's not particularly original beyond it's premise, it takes elements from pretty much every decent open world game of the previous generation and uses them all. Playing on Xbox One and it doesn't seem like that much of a visual step beyond GTA5 on the 360 either, although Rockstar are obviously the best in the business at building engines for this sort of game so it's not really fair comparison.

(I'm also finding it interesting that the game so far hinges on the main character's need to protect his sister and her family rather than a girlfriend or wife, we don't see enough sibling relationships in games if you ask me
I'd find that really disapointing if I didnt remember that hacking games like this already exist and do more with the concept like Gunpoint and Uplink!Still kinda bummed out that the game is just a GTA clone with a few neat tricks I was expecting it to be more of a unique thing.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Beck wrote:I've been trying to finish transistor but just can't find the motivation. It looks nice, the combat is interesting but I'm finding the story a chore. It's just not gripped me like bastion did.
That's a shame and sadly all the info I need to stave off buying this when the ps plus PS4 allocation just got bumped to 2 games a month.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Yeah it's a prime candidate for plus. Don't get me wrong, transistor is really polished, the art direction is great and the sound is amazing. The developers have clearly worked hard and I'm more than happy to have purchased it at full price.
Cass

Post by Cass »

I've been having an absolute blast with Skyrim so far - when it hooked me, it really hooked me - but I've played 40 hours of it over a relatively short space of time, so to avoid burnout I'm going to do my very best to play Bastion all the way through. Speaking of hooks, that one never got me - everyone raves about Bastion and either I just don't get it, or the little-over-an-hour I played wasn't enough to give the game its due. Which is weird, because I like all of its component parts - but perhaps I didn't get deep enough in to really experience it.

That and Dota 2, because I don't see my boyfriend a lot so doing a duo lane together is a great way to hang out while also kicking everyone's arse. Not really playing it much besides that, since I've found that a lot of the enjoyment I get out of it is diminished when I'm alone, but that's OK. We've managed to put in around 100 hours so far so it must be doing something right.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Been getting stuck into a varied trio recently:

Titanfall (XO) - Loving it! I'm not someone who has ever really got into or been any good at online shooters but this seems to have clicked with me. Love the speed and rhythm to it, the surprising depth and variety to the combat.....just a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I wouldn't say I'm brilliant yet, but I have been making steady progress the more time I put in and overall it's been a really fun and rewarding game for me. Top game of the new gen so far!

Resogun (PS4) - I've never been great at these fast and frenzied shooters, but I'm still having a great time with it as a quick burst game when I've got half an hour spare. Tight controls, just enough depth to the mechanics and some great whizz-bang effects!

Virtua Tennis 4 (Vita) - I've not played a Virtua Tennis since the arcade original and subsequent Dreamcast conversion, but I picked this up on PSN for just a few quid and it's just as fun as I remember and great for short bursts at work for a break away from the desk. The world tour career mode is almost part board game in how it's structured, and the core tennis gameplay is rock solid and huge fun, although if you've played much VT before you spend a bit too much time wiping the floor with early weaker opponents before any kind of challenge kicks in.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I'm still enjoying Watch Dogs, but the whole thing feels very disjointed. It's pretty apparent that all the different side quest trees were put together by different studios, there's not much tonal consistency across them. This results in the main character feeling a bit off, as sometimes he's agonising about the horrible invasions of privacy he's committing to get the mission done, other times he's gleefully mowing down armies of hackers with a machine gun.
Spoiler: show
He's also incredibly dim if he really couldn't see the consequences of his actions at the end of chapter 1. I mean really, that's just dumb.
It's fun enough to play though, so I'll certainly finish it and probably get most of the side quests done, it's just it could've been so much MORE.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Terraria on Vita.

What a vacuous shell of a non-experience. I'll never understand the point to games like this. Thought I'd give it a go after being curious about this genre and the whole Minecraft phenomenon, but after approximately 2 hours of pissing around, building shit houses and digging for ore for no particular reason, talking to some bellend and fending off zombies, it was time to evaluate what the fuck I was doing with my life and delete the bastard.

On the plus side, I'm no longer curious about this genre, so it's almost money well spent :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Should have just got the demo! That was enough to put me off.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah I don't get that game at all. 10 minutes was enough for me to jack it in. Don't get on with Minecraft either.