Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Dark Souls I & II

Post by James »

It's definitely Patches, though he's called 'Trusty Patches' rather than 'Patches The Hyena' due to copyright issues with Sony Japan Studio. He only shows up in the Catacombs if you go there before Petrus and Rhea leave Firelink Shrine.

I wonder if the cutscene would still play if you had killed him. An oversight by From Software, surely? Unless they are suggesting that Patches climbs back out, pushes you in and then hops down after you! ;)

Don't forget to check out the top of the stairs down to the graveyard in Firelink after completing Tomb Of The Giants as he'll appear there as a vendor (with some good items)... assuming you left him alive, of course. :twisted:
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

I'm considering NG++ once I finish my current run (I haven't touched sorcery or miracles at all yet and I want to try some more boss weapons) so I'll take him out then and see if the scene still triggers.

I think my NG+ tussle with Ornstein and Smough is the most intense and exciting boss battle I've ever played. Game is all time top 10, no question.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Is there a limit to how much you can level up? I ask because I can't seem to upgrade any more apart from health and stamina. If I add points to resistance etc. it doesn't add anything to my defence stats anymore. Is it dictated by your other stats such as intelligence etc?
Sean

Post by Sean »

The level cap is somewhere around 710.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Also, if you like Borderlands 2, there's an entire Dark Souls side-quest in the Assault on Dragon's Keep DLC.

And, not like a Souls-esque storyline or something. Like...I'll just say it starts with meeting "Crestfallen Player" sitting by a bonfire.
James

Post by James »

JaySevenZero wrote:Is there a limit to how much you can level up? I ask because I can't seem to upgrade any more apart from health and stamina. If I add points to resistance etc. it doesn't add anything to my defence stats anymore. Is it dictated by your other stats such as intelligence etc?
After a certain point each skill point will affect its related stats much less significantly. For most stats (Str, Dex for sure) this is at 40. Beyond this the rate at which it will increase effectiveness with a scaling weapon will reduce. It may even look like it's having no impact at all, but it will probably rise if you add another point into the stat.

For more info, check these links out:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/stats
http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Hope that helps. :)
James

Post by James »

For anyone who's still as nutty about Dark Souls as I am, my Soul Level 1 videos are being posted on the Cane And Rinse blog over the coming few weeks. The first part of the epic fifteen part saga is here.

Feedback, either here, on the blog post or on YouTube is most welcome. The idea was to give a few hints/tips to those playing the game for the first time or attempting a Soul Level 1 run, as well as showing how even a decidedly average Souls player can manage this seemingly difficult challenge.

Enjoy! :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Great stuff, very enjoyable and you do a great job of explaining what's going on and what the future might hold. It was enough to make me go back and rinse 1-1 in Demon's NG+.
James

Post by James »

Chopper wrote:Great stuff, very enjoyable and you do a great job of explaining what's going on and what the future might hold. It was enough to make me go back and rinse 1-1 in Demon's NG+.
In that case, did you see my Demon's Souls Quick Rinse? ;)

Thanks very much for the comments, I'm really pleased with the feedback I've had so far. I'm glad that the explanations don't seem too dumbed down, or poorly delivered. (What's the emoticon for "Phew!"?)
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Just watched part 3, very much enjoying working my way through these. I refused to use guides or wikis in my runs through both Souls games (with the exception of one or two bits where I couldn't find a ladder or some stairs) so it's pretty shocking to see just how much I managed to miss - I had no idea about that entire section leading up to the Wolf Ring (it just quietly mocked me from up on that ledge every time I passed it) or the hidden bonfire beside the Artoras seal.

Also, completely agree with your stance on the Drake Sword - the idea of swinging something that powerful around in the early game seems kinda antithetical to the whole Dark Souls ethos to me, especially on a first playthrough when learning how to maximise damage and manage your stamina is at its most important, and it seems a real shame to skip over so much of that tension in those first areas.
James

Post by James »

PressEscToExit wrote:Just watched part 3, very much enjoying working my way through these. I refused to use guides or wikis in my runs through both Souls games (with the exception of one or two bits where I couldn't find a ladder or some stairs) so it's pretty shocking to see just how much I managed to miss - I had no idea about that entire section leading up to the Wolf Ring (it just quietly mocked me from up on that ledge every time I passed it) or the hidden bonfire beside the Artoras seal.
Wow! Kudos for that. Without that bonfire I'd have given the forest much shorter shrift - though there was a handy message left telling me about that one and the Daughters Of Chaos bonfire after Quelaag.
PressEscToExit wrote:Also, completely agree with your stance on the Drake Sword - the idea of swinging something that powerful around in the early game seems kinda antithetical to the whole Dark Souls ethos to me, especially on a first playthrough when learning how to maximise damage and manage your stamina is at its most important, and it seems a real shame to skip over so much of that tension in those first areas.
Absolutely. It's over-powered early on, but loses effectiveness fast come Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo. I prefer to spend my time and effort upgrading a decent scaling weapon that will come into its own later on.

Thanks very much for the feedback; I'm glad people are finding these interesting. :D
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I've watched up as far as end of ep 5 now and have started my own SL1 playthrough. Despite getting the DS Platinum, I'm pretty pants at the game, so I don't expect to get very far. Just rang the first bell.

Main issue so far has been kicking Lautrec off the ledge, which I failed. Alarmingly, the fire at Firelink was out when I respawned, so I thought the worst, but eventually I managed to take Lautrec out and the fire is now lit, and the Firekeeper is still there. Strange, but I'll take that result!

Great series, very enjoyable. Thanks for doing it!
James

Post by James »

Chopper wrote:I've watched up as far as end of ep 5 now and have started my own SL1 playthrough. Despite getting the DS Platinum, I'm pretty pants at the game, so I don't expect to get very far. Just rang the first bell.

Main issue so far has been kicking Lautrec off the ledge, which I failed. Alarmingly, the fire at Firelink was out when I respawned, so I thought the worst, but eventually I managed to take Lautrec out and the fire is now lit, and the Firekeeper is still there. Strange, but I'll take that result!

Great series, very enjoyable. Thanks for doing it!
There's a strange thing happens when I kill Lautrec, quit and reload; an item pick-up appears in front of Anastacia (the Firekeeper). It disappears as Lautrec's item drop appears, almost as if the game is defaulting to one outcome before switching to the other (hopefully that was spoiler-free enough). Perhaps this is related to what happened in your playthrough?

As for Lautrec, I've had that happen a couple of times. I think it happens if you stand too close to him; the kick pushes him almost sideways, instead of backwards. It's a pain if it goes wrong though, so congrats on taking him out.

Thanks for the compliment, and (believe me) I didn't think I'd get far either. The game does get easier as it goes, even on SL1. Best of luck! :)

Oh, I completed my first speed run at the weekend in a time of 1h42m36s. I was incredibly chuffed to have managed that, and I'm not sure I'll be able to best it. The game is so different when running past everything that took me so long to get past the first time around. I'd recommend checking out speed runs just to see what's possible. :shock:
Ashguyver

Post by Ashguyver »

Great video series mate, well put forward and well paced, did the lot back to back the other night!

I had a question about something you mention on the podcast I think about a HD overlay or texture pack. Where do you get it from / install it?

Cheers for the entertainment!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'm up to Ornstein and Smough now; the only real deviation I made from your run was after reaching Anor Londo, I went and got the Rite of Kindling, so I'd have 20 flasks for O&S. I really need them as I'm a mediocre player. I tried the Stray Demon in the Asylum but had basically zero success there so gave up on it.

First crack at O&S - Ornstein down, Smough to half health, then died. I can see Smough really being a pain here, running in and doing a measly 50 damage with the club is very tense.

I must check out a speed run or two but that's a bridge too far for me.

My big issue this year is that of all the games that are out, all I want to do is play Demon's and Dark Souls.
James

Post by James »

Ashguyver wrote:Great video series mate, well put forward and well paced, did the lot back to back the other night!

I had a question about something you mention on the podcast I think about a HD overlay or texture pack. Where do you get it from / install it?

Cheers for the entertainment!
Hey, really glad you enjoyed it! :D

The mod in question, along with of lot of other stuff, is found on http://darksouls.nexusmods.com//?. You're looking for DSFix, which allows a bunch of tweaks, including the unlocking of 1080p resolution and 60fps. A sister mod is DSCFix, which helps improve co-op in Dark Souls by preferentially matching you with players from your GFWL friends list (you'll still have to be within 10 levels plus/minus 10% of your soul level though).

Hope that helps, both mods are great.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I am now the farthest I've ever been in Dark souls I decided to say screw it and make a crazy ronin build I thought up(katana&light armor with spells,so basically a standart wanderer I think) the begining of the game was no problem and the bell Gargoyles that were my only real problem in previous runs were quickly destroyed thanks to the power of multiplayer!I then managed to defeat havel(cheesing the hell out of it but a win is a win) then defeated moonlight butterfly and got a wolf ring that Im not sure what it does,I even managed to defeat the Capra demon in my second try(thanks James video) so I was feeling really good....until I reached the dephts,the butcher's didnt give that much trouble but than I got to the part of the giant rat,I then entered a maze filled with rats then I fell on a hole and was immediatly attacked by one of the creeppiest and disgusting creature I've ever seen in a game that killed/cursed me leaving me with half-health.I went back thou and killed every single of those things and managed to get my souls back saw there was a boss fight and decided to go back to firelink shrine to remove the curse forgot that enemies respawn and was killed by a thousand dogs...
James

Post by James »

Sounds like you're doing great. For some unfathomable reason, I always forget that the enemies respawn after using the bonfire in Undead Burg.

Well done on handling the frogs; they can be a nightmare. Do you know where you're going to remove curse? You have two options, once you've recovered your souls again. First is the Undead Female Merchant on the shortcut back up from the Depths to Firelink (in the long aqueduct above the archer); she sells Purging Stones for 6000 Souls. Secondly is Oswald (underneath the first bell, in the tower); he sells them for 3000 Souls.

Make sure to ask any/all questions you need to either here or on Twitter (@iwatttfodiwwfa). Keep on going! :)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So Dark souls is now reusing old bosses as regular mobs...before I met them thou I managed to get my souls back and remove the curse went right back to fight the boss but before that I was attacked but a red phantom out nowhere but it was no big truouble bleeding effects aside the boss however,which to my surprise was the dragon from all the trailers(didnt really think I would fight him in the sewers),took some trial and error for me to finnaly defeat him I even managued to cut his tails that I'll never be able to use.

After that I went straight to blighttown which was surprisinly easier and less frustating then expected especially since I kinda gave up on demon souls when I got to the swamp level that's very similar,I eventualy got to the ground floor and found a fire keeper I found the back entrance and went straight to the mute lady to reinforce my estus only problem was she was dead and Lautrec was gone...,I went back and found a witch that teached pyromancy that I couldnt use but we had a nice chat,after I went to fight Quelaag and defeated her in 1 try! I continued my decent and found another spider-lady that reinforced my estus flask! so I joined her covenant and got yet another spell I cant use,then I met cealess discharge...that killed me many many times unitl I found the trick to beat him the easy way,went down killed all Tauros demon's(after dying many times to them too) and then I found a bridge full of capra demon's,after seeing that I decided to see what that area I just opened was all about(after chatting with a giant snake on the way) and there I was killed by a chest :cry:
James

Post by James »

You're making incredible progress, Todinho! :D

There are ways to tell which chests are Mimics and which are not (the chain, the chain!) - and you can even see them breathing. :twisted:

As for the Capra Demons, there is a way to bypass that bridge (look down just before you reach it), but you can't get much further that way without progressing elsewhere. You're doing the right thing heading into the very maze of traps that you died in.

For my sins, I'm trying an All Bosses SL1 run without Pyromancy and without summoning. Don't ask! :oops:

That said, I am past Ornstein & Smough and I've only died a couple of times so far (both at the Iron Golem). I captured the O&S fight with the gentle music of Scars On Broadway accidentally playing in the background. Not sure if I'll post it, but that was one rough fight. Luckily, I had managed a run into Demon Ruins to get the Large Flame Ember and into The Catacombs to make a Fire Battle Axe +7 (which somewhat made up for for not having my usual go to of Combustion & Great Combustion). I was still only doing 95 damage to Ornstein though!