Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
zen_anarchy

Re: RE: Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by zen_anarchy »

seansthomas wrote:
zen_anarchy wrote:I feel like I need a pallet cleanser game before moving on to something heavier and more involved just not sure what to play during my evenings at the moment whilst I'm listening to podcasts and stuff.
Lots of fun stuff on Wii U eShop could fill the void. Take on a lost classic like Sin & Punishment 2, delve into the VC and play along with some old SNES games, Captain Toad or Bayonetta 2 are both doable in about 10 hours, get FAST Racing Neo... Usually lots of things on sale too.
Thanks for the suggestions 8-)

I have a couple of wii u eshop games demons crest and cybernator to play through and I really want to get sin and punishment 2 on the vc

I have completed bayonetta 2 a couple of times on wii u great game I love most of platinum's titles my personal favourite being either rising revengence or vanquish I also have one of my friends picking me up the new transformers devastation for Christmas.

With captain toad I have been keeping my eye on that game waiting for it to fall a little more in price to around 15 quid before picking up.

I ended up playing a bit more dying light I think I just needed to spend time re learning the mechanics on how to craft items as I was consistently getting killed due to having no med packs and crappy broken weapons along with upgrading my skill tree, still think its pretty brutal game especially at night as I cant seem to use stealth or survive long.
Craig

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Craig »

I'm currently going through Shantae and the Pirates Curse and it's pretty great. It's a bit Metroidvania except with distinct dungeons rather than one huge map. The graphics are done in a distinctly retro style but one which has clearly had a lot of love and care put into it. Rather than 8 bit we often see imitated, it looks like something to come from a Neo Geo, except with mind of a fully fleshed out home adventure rather than an arcade hit. It really reminds me of a colourful Metal Slug in looks.

The 3D also works great if you're a fan. I always love 2D sprites with paralax scrolling in 3D.

It looks like there are one or two concepts taken from the mighty switch force games which seems pretty natural.

It's on sale on the eshop right now - I say get it!
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Just started Star Wars Battlefront on PS4. Love the atmosphere. I feel I'm in the movies.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've been playing a survival game with a cartoony artstyle by the guys who make Unreal Tournament and i'm really enjoying it. Surprisingly so!
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote:I've been playing a survival game with a cartoony artstyle by the guys who make Unreal Tournament and i'm really enjoying it. Surprisingly so!
..... I'm listening.
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

Last night I finally got back to playing Fragile Dreams. It has a really compelling but sad story. And the lonely atmosphere is really effective. That's probably why it was so difficult to get myself to play it again. But the game is definitely making an emotional impact on me. That's why I like it so much.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I picked up Shantae and the Pirate's Curse in the Wii U sales the other day, and have played a little bit of that. So far I'm a bit torn on it, in a similar way that I was with Risky's Revenge. I love a lot about it. The platforming feels god, and I love the visual style, and the soundtrack is particularly excellent. Even a step up from Risky's Revenge. But also like that game, I'm finding some elements of Pirate's Curse quite aggravating. Namely, there are certain points that are really hard, in a way that just feels annoying. I haven't even gotten to the first dungeon yet, because I'm stuck in this area with no idea where I've got to go next, but I'm surrounded by really annoying enemies that are a massive pain to have to deal with. I actually gave up on the last game for a similar reason, and hoped the same problem wouldn't come up again. It seems it has. I really want to love it though.

Also been playing a whole lot more of Darksiders 2 DE. There's been no progress on updating the PC version. While the game is playable, they haven't released any more patches since I last spoke about it. Technically that means no patch had been officially released at all, as it's still in beta. It's strange, as they seemed to be rapidly fixing it before. Then suddenly radio silence. But I've gotten right up to the end of the game now. I've done all the additional campaigns, and could go fight the final boss any time I want. Just got a few sidequests I want to clean up first. I've never actually done some of these before, so that's kind of cool. Seeing stuff I never have before in a game I've already played loads.

Still on my kick on Yakuza 4 too. I've stormed right through this one and I'm right at the end as well. Really great game. At first I wasn't too hot on some of the new protagonists, but as time went on I've grown to like them all. Some more than others, but generally they're all good. I was looking back recently at some of my earlier impressions of these games when I was just starting up Yakuza 3, and it was amusing to see how my opinion has changed. Back then I didn't really like the boss fights. Saw them as being more a war of attrition rather than an interesting challenge. My opinions on that certainly have turned around. After getting more in tune with how the combat mechanics in these games work, the bosses are one of the highlights of them. Although I have to say when I was playing one of the earlier chapters of one of the characters in 4 it felt like I was back in the early days of 3 again. For some reason they put you up against a really hard boss multiple times in a row before you've had a chance to upgrade your abilities or get hold of any healing items. But things got better as time went on of course. Very much looking forward to playing more Yakuza games after I finish this one. This series has actually turned out to be one of the biggest reasons I'm looking to get a PS4.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Scrustle wrote:I picked up Shantae and the Pirate's Curse in the Wii U sales the other day, and have played a little bit of that. So far I'm a bit torn on it, in a similar way that I was with Risky's Revenge. I love a lot about it. The platforming feels god, and I love the visual style, and the soundtrack is particularly excellent. Even a step up from Risky's Revenge. But also like that game, I'm finding some elements of Pirate's Curse quite aggravating. Namely, there are certain points that are really hard, in a way that just feels annoying. I haven't even gotten to the first dungeon yet, because I'm stuck in this area with no idea where I've got to go next, but I'm surrounded by really annoying enemies that are a massive pain to have to deal with. I actually gave up on the last game for a similar reason, and hoped the same problem wouldn't come up again. It seems it has. I really want to love it though.
Whereabouts are you now? I've just finished this for the 3ds so it's still fresh in my memory. It's really good but there are some enemies that even when you have maxed out your hair take way too many hits to kill. Don't be afraid to use items either as you get a lot of them.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Craig wrote:
Whereabouts are you now? I've just finished this for the 3ds so it's still fresh in my memory. It's really good but there are some enemies that even when you have maxed out your hair take way too many hits to kill. Don't be afraid to use items either as you get a lot of them.
It's okay, I worked it out now. I had just gotten the Petrify Spell and didn't know what I was supposed to do with it, but I found where I should have gone. Wasn't so hard after all. That room with the frogs jumping around and shooting projectiles is such a pain though.

Now I managed to get through most of the first dungeon, only to get destroyed on a bit where they put you up against two sub-bosses at once.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Yeah, those enemy gauntlets can be a bit of a slog. They only happen a small handful of times though and I think the first is probably the most difficult.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just finished Broken Age. What a load of rubbish. Biggest disappointment of 2015 for me (the second act) I'll post thoughts in the games completed thread.

I'm really enjoying Shovel Knight though which is in the PSN Jan sale
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Alex79uk wrote:Just finished Broken Age. What a load of rubbish. Biggest disappointment of 2015 for me (the second act) I'll post thoughts in the games completed thread.

I'm really enjoying Shovel Knight though which is in the PSN Jan sale
Yep I'll second that,a damn shame after all the hype and support put in the game through kickstarter,Shovel Knight is real good though :D

So I got Until Dawn for christmans and just started it,interested to see how it stacks up to Quantic Dream and TellTalle after hearing so many good things about it,one thing that really jumped out were the graphics not because it looks amazing but because the uncanny valley seems to be strong in this one.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Not that I want any game to be bad but i'm kinda glad that i'm not the only one who found Act 2 of Broken Age to be a massive let down. After Act 1, I was hopeful. :(
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Act 1 was up there with the finest adventures I've ever played. The puzzles made sense, the writing was spot on, and the story was excellent. Act 2 threw the entire set up out of the window and replaced it with tedious repetition, backtracking and guesswork. It was just such a difference from Act 1 I wouldn't have been surprised if someone had told me it was made by an entirely different team. Dreadful finish after such an exciting start.
Crowcifer

Post by Crowcifer »

Recently I've been dipping in and out of PES 2016. I've been having a lot of fun with various God of War titles, too. Kratos is a ginormous muppet, but the fighting mechanics are engrossing. I spent a lot of time over Christmas weekend with the FFX remaster. I love that game so much, but most all of the characters are screaming to be punched. "My old man..."
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Final Fantasy XIV once more, it's far too addictive. Didn't plan to but I've gone as far as getting the Heavensward expansion so I'm locked in for the long haul.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Got Assassin's Creed Syndicate for Xmas and it's really making a play for my 2nd fave in the series. I love both protagonists, Evie and Jacob Frye. I feel compelled to traverse the world which I haven't done really since ACII. The controls feel like they always do but people give Bethesda games a pass for what they misstep in and I give Assassin's Creed a pass. Much improvement over Unity which I had no issues with at all aside from a boring main character in Arno.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Spent the afternoon playing Lego Dimensions with my 8-year old. We both had a lot of fun with it. He does have a bunch of level and fun packs but not even opened them yet. With the physical building too, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I ever did Skylanders.

Still on Star Wars Battlefront in my own time. Got Witcher 3, Mortal Kombat and Until Dawn for Christmas but that's still drawing me in whenever I fire the PS4 up.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

I've been playing Jackbox Party Pack with my family over the holidays and it's been a blast. I heard the Giantbomb crew talking about this game in their 2014 GOTY podcasts and it is a fantastic game to play with non-gaming family. I really enjoy the "You Don't Know Jack" mode, but "Drawful" is definitely the most popular with my family. The whole collection is so good because you only need the console to set it up and then all of the controls are done on everyone's smart phones (no apps required). Highly recommended for family time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing Bastion on the Vita for the last couple of days and well, I've got to be honest, I think it's a bit rubbish. I'm fully aware it's a game I built up a bit in my head before I got round to playing it, people have had nothing but praise for it over the last couple of years it seems, but all I'm seeing is a pretty boring, repetitive button masher. There doesn't appear to be any story to speak of, and every stage is nothing more than 'navigate this appearing/vanishing pathway and retrieve a core/shard whilst battling the same handful of enemies every time'.

Am I missing something? It only cost three quid so I won't feel too bad about giving up on it, but at the moment there is literally nothing pulling me back in.