Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
stvnorman

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by stvnorman »

Seemed like the most appropriate place to report this... Knightmare getting one-off YouTube special on August 5 http://zite.to/12jFZZF via @zite
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

stvnorman wrote:Seemed like the most appropriate place to report this... Knightmare getting one-off YouTube special on August 5 http://zite.to/12jFZZF via @zite
Brilliant, used to shout at the tv watching that as a kid.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

stvnorman wrote:Seemed like the most appropriate place to report this... Knightmare getting one-off YouTube special on August 5 http://zite.to/12jFZZF via @zite
Amazing. Somehow, somewhere, I really hope that someone is thinking about a way to use Oculus Rift to create a Knightmare game.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

80's version of Dark souls isn't it. Insteed od "You Died" they got a "oh Daer!"
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've been watching through Avatar: TLA again, following Doug Walker's (AKA The Nostalgia Critic) vlogs as I go through it. Still absolutely love that show. It's easily my favourite. But following these vlogs, I've been examining each episode a bit more critically than I have been before. It's been interesting looking at them from that perspective, and hearing it from another at the same time. Especially one which is fresh to the show.

I've grown to really dislike when Doug's brother comes on the vlogs though. He continuingly insists on pronouncing names of characters blatantly wrong. While that's really annoying, it's not a huge deal. Then in one episode he decided to totally spoil a huge plot point right in front of Doug like it was nothing, and then saying he wanted to avoid spoiling things for him mere seconds later. That was the turning point from me. I'm glad he hasn't been on an episode since.

I also recently ordered the Blu-Ray for Legend of Korra series 1. I've seen that series before, but I held off importing an actual physical copy of it because it's only out for Region 1. But doing some research, it seems that it's actually region free. It should be arriving soon, so I guess I'll find out then. And if you haven't seen the trailer for series 2 yet, it's pretty fucking stunning:

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

This trailer gives me hope but then I remember the ending of the previous season and I start to dread what's to come,if anything the animation is still incredible.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

The ending of the first series was rushed, but I don't think it ruined it. But from what I've heard, they've got three whole more series planned out from this point, while the first was originally only supposed to be a one-off "mini-series". From other tidbits I've come across the new series is shaping up to be something really brilliant, and will do a lot of world building. Stuff they've hinted at sounds very exciting.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

They got 3 more seasons! didnt know that it has some great potential then,im just wondering if they are gonna revisit the conflict of last season I would like to see if they can fix it but maybe it's better to just start the new season from scratch new villian,new conflit and so on.This one seems to be it's own thing but who knows for the others
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Yeah, the ending for Book 1 was pretty conclusive. I don't think they have anything more to carry on from that point. From what they've shown it looks as if the new series will be dealing with something completely different anyway.

It's kind of strange the way they've gone through all of these different "books" too. With the three TLA series being named after three of the four elements, then the first of Korra being the other element. Now the second of Korra is unrelatedly named "Spirits", and is starting a three series long story arc, despite already being the second series. Seems a little disjointed, and the naming of them makes it sound like they bleed in to one another, when they don't really.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Revolution is pretty good right now.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Legend of Korra Book 1 arrived. I'm glad to say it works fine. So I've been watching through that. Looks glorious in HD.
Electric Crocosaurus

Breaking Bad returns to Netflix in the UK next Monday. I knew the show was coming back in the US this August, but didn't know we'd be getting it so quickly here. For anyone who hasn't seen it I can highly recommend it; it seems destined to be held in the same regard as The Sopranos and The Wire, but doesn't seem to have reached either of those shows' levels of fame yet. The next eight episodes will be the last ever as the show is due to finish at the end of Season 5, a creative choice rather than cancellation which bodes well for a 'proper' finish.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

It's brilliant that Netflix is bringing us the final episodes straight after it's aired. Really is gobsmacking that no TV channel here bothers with Breaking Bad, and pumps out constant shit reality/docusoap/TOWIE garbage instead. So thanks Netflix!
Seen a lot of the highly regarded US drama series over the years, and Breaking Bad is, in my opinion, the best drama ever made. Can't wait to see how it ends....
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Just finished season 6 of Mad Men which was as addictive as ever and I'm now working my way through the three part mini-series Red Riding as suggested by a friend and truly a strong case for crime drama outside the US, the cast is about as strong as I could imagine (Sean Bean, David Morrissey and Andrew Garfield for a start) and even halfway through the second episode I'm totally gripped by it.

So yeah, "Red Riding (year of our lord: 19XX)"... heavily recommended!
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

[quote="AndyKurosaki"]It's brilliant that Netflix is bringing us the final episodes straight after it's aired. Really is gobsmacking that no TV channel here bothers with Breaking Bad

Totally agree. I had to watch first 4 seasons on DVD. Not seen any of S5 yet & don't have Netflix. Have been thinking of subscribing though. Is it any good?
Electric Crocosaurus

kappisun wrote:Not seen any of S5 yet & don't have Netflix. Have been thinking of subscribing though. Is it any good?
Netflix UK is distinctly average, as they don't seem to update their content nearly enough for it to be an 'essential' service (or to replace the other subscriptions I have, such as Lovefilm). But it's worth subscribing to from time to time (there's no requirement to subscribe for any length of time as far as I'm aware) to check out the content that is put on. All of Breaking Bad is on there, House of Cards went up there as an original series (yet to watch, but I've heard it's good) and the new Arrested Development episodes have appeared recently too (not great, but still worth watching for some decent gags). I'd definitely be tempted to subscribe for a couple of months just to catch up on the first half of Breaking Bad S5 and to watch the final episodes.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

You can *cough* get the US Netflix pretty easy via your 360 if you have one. It's amazing what's on there. Every Star Trek ever made, fringe plus a bigger range of films as I imagine Sky must strangle what films can go on the UK Netflix.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You can get US Netflix on almost every device in fact. I think the UK service gets a lot of unfair flack though. In among a lot of dross there are more good quality films and TV shows than I have time to watch.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I pretty much signed up for Netflix just to watch the first 8 episodes of Breaking Bad series 5. My download speed is gash so I've not used it since then. But there's a few things I've noticed that I'd watch eventually, eg The Thick Of It, and Arrested Development which I've seen series 1 of and thought was ok but not worth getting the DVDs for.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

Netflix is pretty much all I watch. I can't be doing with having to wit for TV shows to come on and then deal with adverts as well. For £6pm or whatever it is I certainly get my value out of it.