Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ratsoalbion »

deacon05oc wrote:Persona 4 Dancing All Night has just taken over all my free time. I never finished Persona 4 so I know absolutely nothing about what the story is referencing. But I love the music. It's been my soundtrack all of this week.
Did ya listen to this show?
http://caneandrinse.com/persona-special/
;)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Been playing abt. 30 minutes of Doom 2016 in between work and that's actually quite a perfect lenght for the intensity of Hurt Me Plenty difficulty. I find myself ducking and leaning to the left and right, trying to 'extra dodge' projectiles and Hell Knight attacks, all without using VR! So I have my work to help me collect myself after a tough battle.

Started the 1st Witcher after getting it in the GOG sales, and it's been quite pleasant. The play mechanics are a bit rickety, but the music and visuals are appealing, not to mention the amount of agency you have and the impact your decisions have on your playthrough. I think this will be the next big game I tackle outside of those I play for the podcast.

Also been playing Street Fighter V versus others, both online and offline and doing pretty well with Zangief. I think he'll be my go-to, dependable character for if I'm absolutely after a win. Sort of like what Honda was for me in Street Fighter IV.

Also played Lethal League and more Dragon's Crown at another multiplayer gaming night, last Friday.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Been giving my Wii U some extra love of late.

Gone back to Yoshi's Wooly World and collecting the bit's and pieces left. That game gets challenging.

Also, picked up Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and the Bayonetta Double Pack for my collection. So I'll be getting into those before the Switch release hopefully.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Had a blast this afternoon playing Mario Kart Wii with my eldest. We were scrolling through my PS4 library looking for something we could play split screen (it's slim pickings) when I suddenly remembered there was a Wii sat behind the TV gathering dust. The batteries had leaked inside the Wiimote so it was touch and go whether it would even still work, but after a pro cleaning job using babywipes, it was good to go. It's not the best Mario Kart game, but it's still a lot of fun in multiplayer.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Started play 'Stories: The Path of Destines' which was a PS+ game a few months back.

It desperately wants to be Bastion, from the art style to the narrator, but it's a little too rough around the edges for that. But what it is doing that's fun is provide a branching narrative that requires you to play the game many times to get to a 'true' ending.

Basically after each stage you make a choice of some sort, and that dictates what the next stage will be. After five stages you reach one of 25 endings, and in the process discover a 'truth' about the background plot of the game (for example, you might learn that someone can't be trusted). This is displayed on a board that seems to suggest that after finding four such truths I'll unlock... something. I'm assuming a 'true' route that gets a good ending (all the ones so far have been bad, for various values of bad). The truths you've learned also feed back into the narration, as your character is essentially groundhog-daying his way through the story he starts to know whats coming and the storytelling adjusts appropriately.

It's not going to set the world on fire, but I'm a sucker for games that experiment with the way they deliver their narrative (see also Halo ODST, Alpha Protocol, and the series this reminds me most of with its short loop length and many branches: Way of the Samurai)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sounds good, had it on the back burner to play soon since PS+. I'll definitely be giving it a go.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

I've given up on the Plague Knight DLC for Shovel Knight. I love the idea of using a new character, remixing the levels and adding small story beats to make a whole new campaign. I also went into this knowing that Plague Knight controlled very differently than Shovel Knight and I had vowed to stick with it.

But I was having ZERO fun with the DLC. I spent ages on the Spectre Knight level and almost threw my 3DS at the wall. It was making me dislike the base Shovel Knight game (which I loved!) so I decided it was better to just walk away. Part of the problem for me was that because I had just replayed the base game, I was getting stuck on parts of the level that I knew would be easy if I just had Shovel Knight. So that increased the frustration, especially against the bosses. If I had started with Plague Knight, maybe it would have just felt like a steep learning curve instead of feeling like I was playing the game with one hand tied behind my back.

I will definitely come back for the Spectre Knight DLC and if I have more success with that, maybe I'll give Plague Knight another shot. I hope other people enjoy this more than I did because I wanted to like it a lot. But it wasn't for me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I felt exactly the same. Loved vanilla Shovel Knight, but absolutely hated the Plague Knight. I just couldn't get on with his jump and weapon at all.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Plague knight can be pretty trick to play early on,I died like 50 times on the first level but once you get to grips with the mechanics it can be really fun especially because the mobility you have with Plague Knight is way larger then Shovel Knight,it's all about mastering the jumps and finding a bomb combo you like.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

I'll wait until I cool down and then I might give it another shot. My main reason for not picking it back up is that I don't want to diminish my love of Shovel Knight by getting frustrated by the DLC. But I'll take a wait and see approach.

I bought a cheap copy of Burnout Paradise when I was in the US, so I listened to the Burnout 1+2 and Burnout 3+Revenge Cane and Rinse podcasts to get some context before playing (I've never played a Burnout game before). I heard James talking about Burnout Legends on the PSP and found out that if you download it to the PS3 and then transfer it over, you can play it on Vita! (at least off the US store. The European PSN store doesn't seem to allow that :o )

I just started playing it (two hours total) and I think I'm in love. I'm not much of a racing guy, but this is so much fun. I'll wring as much as I can out of Legends and then move on to Paradise.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

The wait for my copy to arrive is nearly unbearble, I wanna play it right now!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing New Star Cricket on my mobile telephone. Yes, it's the same guy as did New Star Soccer, and it's great fun! It's exactly the same game, except it's cricket. If you like cricket, and you liked New Star Soccer, give it a go, I think you'll enjoy it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That sounds great. NSS was quality, until they went the way these things go. Has this got microtransactions in from the off?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Unfortunately, yeah, but I've not found myself really needing to use any so far.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

OK, thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a whirl.

I've been rotating between Titanfall 2, Wind Waker HD and - finally - Rocket League over the past week or so. I did try Rocket League when it was very first released but it just didn't click. I'm still obviously quite bad at it but I've surprised myself by how decent I am at reading the game and I'm scoring quite a bit! It's not completely gripped me but if it comes to the Switch, it'll be an incredibly good game wherever I have WiFi access. It's the perfect five minute game, even if you do have to play at least eight games at a time.

Titanfall 2 could be my favourite ever MP FPS. It just makes me feel I'm good at the game even when I'm not. Amazing flow and with the EPG I have got some ludicrous (flukey) long range kills when I'm swinging around with the hook. I also just got my first ever first place with twelve kills. Damn good fun, win, lose or draw, to paraphrase Ryan Hart.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Stanshall wrote:It's the perfect five minute game, even if you do have to play at least eight games at a time.
Pretty much had to ban myself from playing 'one or two' games of Rocket League for this reason.

I'm currently playing Gravity Rush 2 and while it is doing everything the first did and more, I'm not sure I like it quite as much. I think is because the first one was fresh and novel.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm really hooked on this New Star Cricket. Keep playing it under my desk at work..... :lol:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Doom is really dragging now for me now, I've enjoyed it and recommend it but think it could've done with being shorter or something else added. Too many
Spoiler: show
demonic levels high clear the room again
which have gotten boring
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I finally did it: I acquired a copy of Ninja Gaiden... and by Ninja Gaiden I mean the 1988 arcade JAMMA version.

I should say first off that I would only recommend the game with one major caveat: either go the JAMMA route and chuck it in a cabinet, or go the MAME way, also with a cabinet. It is an arcade experience in the purest sense, in that it is deliberately difficult, constantly wants you to keep putting coins in, but it is also a pretty fun little distraction with a friend playing next to you.

Its not terribly deep, at all, but arcade games were all about grabbing your attention, and had to compete with whatever other machines where around. The attract mode is a delight, the game over count down with Ryu strapped down while a circular saw blade slowly descending... it's still all so good. And the in-game animations are still pretty cool to watch, with wall runs and summersaults making Ryu at least look easy to control.

There are better belt-scrollers, and better Ninja Gaiden games, so it's very hard to recommend. I already had a cabinet, so it was an easy purchase decision for me, as I enjoy collecting and preserving, and playing. But outside of that... eh.

(On a side note: I also got Ninja Gaiden Black as well, though not digitally. It turns out it is not available via the Australian Xbox store, which is a strange omission considering the sequels are readily available, but fortunately secondhand disc-based versions exist, so I picked it up that way.)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Very cool. I think it was known as Shadow Warriors round these parts?