Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Chopper »

Sorry to hear that, ThirdMan. Condolences.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

ThirdMan wrote: February 7th, 2018, 10:39 pm My dad died suddenly yesterday at 67 years of age. He was always a great supporter of my gaming. We couldn't afford to buy the Mega Drive outright when it was released. Instead, he'd rent it out from the local video store one day at a time. Often I'd have it for weeks at a time. He must have paid the equivalent amount many times over. But he just never had the full amount at any one time. He'd do a day's work, cash in hand, then pop into the video store on his way home and pay for another night. What an absolute hero. Rest in peace Da.
Sorry to hear that, he sounds like a legend.
James

Post by James »

Terribly sorry to hear, ThirdMan. He sounds like a wonderful man and father. Thinking of you and your family.
Suits

Post by Suits »

How sad, sorry to hear that dude.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

My condolences. It's great how he found a way around things, and showed support for your passion like that.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Sorry to hear that bud, all the best.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just adding to the condolences. Sorry to hear that, ThirdMan.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

How are you getting on with Dark Souls 3, Alex? Still enjoying it?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Chopper wrote: February 10th, 2018, 8:04 am How are you getting on with Dark Souls 3, Alex? Still enjoying it?
Very much so! It's the only game I've been plugging away at really. I'm currently at the Aldrich boss. Although I've already taken him down once, if you know what I mean! That was kind of a bizarre thing to happen...!

None of the bosses have felt outright impossible yet, I only had two solo attempts so far at him before calling it a night yesterday. I've not summoned at all yet (although I've been summoned...)

Last boss I did was the Pontiff Sulyvan (I know spelling is wrong there!) who took three goes.

But yeah, still loving it a lot!

EDIT: Something weird seems to have happened in my game.
Spoiler: show
I always try to go in to Souls games 'blind', but once I've beaten an area, I'll often check a walkthrough to see if I've missed anything worth going back for. I did this for Anor Londo, and it says if Anri dies you'll find the brass armor set and ring of reversal in a hidden area. I found these in my play though so assumed she'd died. But then it also said if she's still alive, there will be a sign she's left requesting help with Aldrich, which I also found! It also said the sign would be outside the boss room, and it wasn't for me. It was outside the building by the locked front door. So I'm not sure whether she's still alive or not in my game now! I found her possessions, but also her summon sign. We defeated Aldrich together, but then I still have to defeat him on my own as well - is this correct? I do love all the side stories and stuff in Souls games, but they seem so convoluted to follow and make sure you hit each point of the story!

Another thing is the guide said you have a chance to marry someone. The lady in Firelink was talking about it earlier in my game, but last time I spoke to her she basically had a go at me about something and now has vanished! Any ideas!?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

On your first point, I couldn't say because that whole questline is especially convoluted and I struggled to get the outcome I wanted even with a guide! It's also linked to your second question. Unfortunately, now that person's gone, I think that's probably your lot for this playthrough. I haven't played it for ages but that was the thing I wanted to do and I had to restart at least once. It's not as complicated as I made it, really, but I got overexcited and made certain progress without checking in with the NPC.
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

Currently playing Bloodborne, I bounced off it back in 2015 but after seeing the GOTY edition for a bargain price decided to give it another go and this time I’m really enjoying myself. I found that the key for me was to grind lots and become over levelled thus making things more comfortable - I know this isn’t the generally accepted way to play BB but this is the I get the most enjoyment from it ;)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Officially started the assault on Hyrule Castle in Breath of the Wild now, more than half a year after I first started playing and I've recovered the last 2 final memories.

Still so much in love with this game. Tomorrow I'm going to explore the depths under the castle, before I return to the sanctum, to give Calamity Ganon what for.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There’s some good environmental story telling in the castle that I suspect a lot of players miss.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4). Although technically a "remake", the crazy ragdolling and dodgy camera reactivity prove that it really is still the same code under the hood...

... I'm feeling quite sad. SotC was my favourite game of the PS2 generation, but something snapped in me before the PS3 remaster and I now find the thing a frustrating chore. The PS4 version is not the revelation I had hoped it would be. I wish I had left it well alone to my rose tinted memories, but I actually can't really remember my initial experience with this game now - only my two failed attempts to recapture the magic.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

kintaris wrote: February 11th, 2018, 12:41 am ... I'm feeling quite sad. SotC was my favourite game of the PS2 generation, but something snapped in me before the PS3 remaster and I now find the thing a frustrating chore. The PS4 version is not the revelation I had hoped it would be. I wish I had left it well alone to my rose tinted memories, but I actually can't really remember my initial experience with this game now - only my two failed attempts to recapture the magic.
Very sorry to hear that, man. What a shame.

I don't think I've ever had that kind of issue, it'd probably crush me as well.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Wow, these are some fairly drastic changes you're describing. But it sounds like they might have been necessary.
ThirdMan wrote: February 11th, 2018, 10:59 am I have a solid little library of Wii and Wii U exclusives at my disposal so hopefully this next chapter of my gaming life will be fun, relatively inexpensive and moving at my own pace.
I honestly think that focusing exclusively on a platform such as the WiiU is one of the more sensible options at your disposal if you genuinely want to reduce the impact of video games on your life without sacrificing your enjoyment in the process. Two entire libraries at your disposal plus lots of affordable classic titles, all on one little machine. But not so much that it would become overwhelming. And since it's a "dead" platform, you'll automatically be shielded from all the marketing noise and fleeting internet hyper-activity. Just games with no strings attached, whenever you can afford it. Wise choice.
ThirdMan wrote: February 11th, 2018, 10:59 am For the next few months consider me immune to gaming 'hype' and the 'next big thing'. I'm officially out of the loop.
It's absolutely incredible how much time and effort people spend hyping themselves up for the "next big thing", as you call it, as opposed to actually playing games (and enjoying their time with it). I think you might very well end up getting more value out of our hobby at a significantly lower investment cost by adopting this mindset.

No matter how much time we spend on these silly discussions, gaming is indeed one of life's little extras. Good on you for having your priorities straight and I sincerely hope it all works out for you in the future. :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: February 10th, 2018, 9:24 pm Tomorrow I'm going to explore the depths under the castle, before I return to the sanctum, to give Calamity Ganon what for.
The castle was one of my favourite places in the game, I thought it was great, really compelling.

Made me wish I’d explored there earlier to be honest.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve totally put Monster Hunter down now I think, I’m just not drawn to play it anymore :( .

Just wasting some time on my Switch with Axiom Verge until my (late) Dragon Quest Builders arrives tomorrow hopefully.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote: February 11th, 2018, 6:19 pm
Michiel K wrote: February 10th, 2018, 9:24 pm Tomorrow I'm going to explore the depths under the castle, before I return to the sanctum, to give Calamity Ganon what for.
The castle was one of my favourite places in the game, I thought it was great, really compelling.

Made me wish I’d explored there earlier to be honest.
Yeah, it's pretty amazing on so many levels.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just started Alwa's Awakening yesterday. Little indie 8 bit platformer that makes me feel five again. I don't think lots of people of heard of it, outside of RockPaperShotgun's review last year.