Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79 »

As a (very) casual football fan (and that's stretching it) I much prefer FIFA. The real team names and kits etc are what counts. The on-pitch gameplay might be better (or not?) in PES, but I'd never buy it because that's not the most important part of the overall experience to me. I don't even buy the game until a year or two after when I can pick it up for a couple of quid.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

A new trailer dropped for RE7,if I wasnt hyped before I sure am now :D also screw all those babies screaming "This isnt Resident Evil" :
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Nice to know I'm a baby who's getting screwed! :D

I'm not sold on RE7 yet, due to it seemingly abandoning everything I like about the franchise, like the charismatic characters or the tight combat mechanics. I'm also really not a fan of first person camera in horror games. With that being said, I'd rather see Capcom try something new and fresh than to have another Resident Evil 6 situation. I'll reserve judgment. Cautiously pessimistic until then.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really need to play the demo properly. I couldn't get past the opening ten minutes when I tried it before, so I really want to try it again with the lights on.

:oops:

EDIT : Actually, you know what? That trailer was enough.

No.

(Reminds me a bit of The Devils Rejects. A film I love. Absolutely no interest in taking part in it though)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just played the FIFA demo, well that was disappointing! Not yet game itself, it seemed fine. But the 'sizeable chunk' of The Journey turned out to be 15 (match time) minutes of the end of a game against Chelsea and the trailer we saw at E3. Booooooooo!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

KSubzero1000 wrote:Nice to know I'm a baby who's getting screwed! :D

I'm not sold on RE7 yet, due to it seemingly abandoning everything I like about the franchise, like the charismatic characters or the tight combat mechanics. I'm also really not a fan of first person camera in horror games. With that being said, I'd rather see Capcom try something new and fresh than to have another Resident Evil 6 situation. I'll reserve judgment. Cautiously pessimistic until then.
Well serves you =P ,to be honest I dont like the first person perspective either and at least the demo showed looked a little bit too familar to PT for my taste. However Capcom already confirmed that familar elements such as combat,herbs,inventory management are all gonna be in the final game in a first person perspective. I would've alot more problem with this if it was a full on reboot but it is called RE7 one of the reasons they went with a new cast here is that the main cast of RE are nearing superhero levels at this point and while it can be entertaining to Chris Redfield punching boulders it doesnt do alot for the horror which is supposed to be the point. I get having reservations but seeing every comment on these trailers being people complaining that RE is dead and ruined is a bit maddening,I mean I dont think there's ever been a better time then now to be an RE fan we are getting RE2 Remake,Revelations 2 was great especially storywise and gameplaywise it's the best since RE4 and now they're trying something new with the series which they havent done since 4. After RE6 we all should be raising our hands to the heavens in thanks that this is what we're getting.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I respectfully disagree with the notion that using established characters should automatically equate to the silly superhero antics of RE5 & 6. The problem with Chris punching boulders lies with the direction of that particular scene, not with the mere presence of Chris Redfield. And there are so many cool characters who could be worth revisiting! Rebecca was never much of a fighter and could be a interesting choice. It'd be nice to see HUNK again. And one of my favorites: Billy. He's probably still laying low somewhere, which would make him a good fit for a small-scale scenario.

Also, I don't think that the GameCube days will ever be surpassed in terms of "best time to be a RE fan". RE0, REmake, RE2, RE3, CVX and RE4. All on one system, released within a few years of each other.

Regarding the RE2 remake... I want it to be good. Obviously. But to me, the question is less the "what" and more the "who". Who's directing it? Mikami is gone. Kamiya is gone. A lot of their collaborators left with them. Who do you trust to do it right? Is it sheer coincidence that none of the RE games released after their departure came close to the ones before? I don't think it is. a strong direction is a must. I mean, look at Separate Ways. It uses the same assets, enemies and levels as RE4. And yet, it's nowhere near as good. There is a reason for that. So, just because Capcom as a company has the rights to RE2 doesn't mean they still have the talent. I'll reserve judgment until the final product arrives before calling its announcement proof of "the best time to be a RE fan".

Provocative analogy: If the Weinsteins announce a Pulp Fiction remake tomorrow, my first reaction won't be "Coooool, ey!" but rather "Wait.... Who's doing what now?".
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

While you are right that era was a great time to be an RE fan It's good to remember that also was when capcom ran the series into the ground with sequel after sequel now most of then are great but by the time you get to CV:X and RE0 you can see the quality waver so much so that RE4 had to reinvent the genre to make it fresh again,that itself fragment the fan base into those more into the action side and those who wanted the classic horror again and people who wanted both,well now we can have that instead of having the main series tring to appeal to everyone,Remake 2 is going classic. Revelations 2 is appeling to the RE4 style then you have RE7 trying something new what Im saying is that you never had this variety of content within the RE games,you had weird spin-offs like outbreak and the rail shooters but nothing like what we have now.
On the returning characters there are good ways and bad ways to integrate them,in Revelations 2 they did the best way possible I think and it turned out really well but Barry was a character we havent seen since RE3 and Claire was also gone since CV:X and they never done anything as goofy and outrageous as say Chris and Leon,personally I just think it gets harder to sell these characters in a horror setting after all they've done,to get a bit of it's like getting Ash from Evil dead trying to make a serious sequel after what all the movies did to him unless it's a remake/reboot,no reason not to get other characters like Rebecca back but are we really just gonna keep reusing the same characters over and over?I think coming up with new ones is more then fair.
On Remake2 Im cautiously optimistic mainly because of the HD version of Remake and 0 which had a great reception so I think the devs know what to we want from the and from how Revelations 2 was done because that game had no right to be that good and yet despite it`s low budget turned out great and proved that storywise capcom knows what fans want.Not to mention I know that the guy directing remake2 has been wanting to do this project for ages now so he hopefully has some idea of what made that game great,now neither that or RE7 are out so they could turn out to be utter dogshit but until that happens Im willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Does anyone know if the new Resi7 demo a 'new' demo, or will the first hour demo released at E3 just update with the new content?
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

It's an update for the old demo (2.7gb I think). Should say twilight on the front screen. I didn't probe enough to notice any difference when I played it through again though.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

@Todinho:
I think my issue with the current state of the RE series boils down to quantity over quality. I'd rather have one new game every 3 years or so if that one game was on a similar level of quality as RE4 or REmake rather than the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks"-approach Capcom seems to be taking. I could even accept them having two parallel subseries, one classic survival horror and the other more action-oriented, as long as the games had proper development time and budget. Revelations 2 could have been fantastic with a proper budget. The way it turned out, it seemed more like wasted potential than anything else to me.
mikeleddy83 wrote:I didn't probe enough to notice any difference when I played it through again though.
There is an entire new room! I'll put it in spoiler tags in case people want to discover it for themselves.
Spoiler: show
Upstairs, the back wall in the phone room is broken and you can access a room with some new items.
It is not much, though. I have a feeling Capcom will keep updating the demo bit by bit until release. "Interesting" marketing technique.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

KSubzero1000 wrote:@Todinho:
I think my issue with the current state of the RE series boils down to quantity over quality. I'd rather have one new game every 3 years or so if that one game was on a similar level of quality as RE4 or REmake rather than the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks"-approach Capcom seems to be taking. I could even accept them having two parallel subseries, one classic survival horror and the other more action-oriented, as long as the games had proper development time and budget. Revelations 2 could have been fantastic with a proper budget. The way it turned out, it seemed more like wasted potential than anything else to me.
That's the thing I think we are on that level where Capcom is taking years to develop a proper game,it's gonna be almost 5 years since RE6 when 7 comes out compare that with the rates the games came out in the 90's, and where they have split the series off and is going back to the roots of survivor horror(remake and 7) and keeping more action games(Revelations 2 and UBC) we can pick and chose now instead of being stuck with the throwing everything at a wall that was RE6.
On Rev 2 I personnaly found it fantastic,it's by far one of the best stories resident evil ever told and gameplaywise It's the the best game since RE4,it perfectly balanced the horror and action like 4 and was enjoyable throught,I dont think necessarily more money would make the game much better maybe by tightening some mechanics but some of the better ideas the game came from the small budget.
Could be that Im just seeing too many good signs when in truth there isnt much but coming out of the dark times of RE6 I think Capcom is heading in the right direction.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I salute your optimism, then! May your wish be granted and RE7 knock my socks off. :D
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Kojima apparently dissed Metal Gear Survive in his Q&A in TGS XD ,this video also touches on why Survive is such a terrible idea, I would just add that before anything Metal Gear has always been at it's core,before even being a stealth game, a game series driven by a particular creative vision in which each game had a message. You can argue about the quality of it but that's the facts,Survive is just a hollow project that's trying to explore the license for money.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Hideo is in zero position to throw those kind of stones given the existence of the Ape Escape and Skateboarding crossover stuff in MGS2 and 3...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote:Hideo is in zero position to throw those kind of stones given the existence of the Ape Escape and Skateboarding crossover stuff in MGS2 and 3...
But... those were tongue-in-cheek unlockable non-canon minigames. Not the very core of the game's design.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Metal Gear has had a high paced ridiculous action game (Rising), a weird iOS sniper game and two weird action card games based around it. Spin offs are nothing really new for the series.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

But I think the current situation at Konami does make this spin-off worse. They aggressively burned all of their bridges with fans of the series and are making a blatant cash grab while trying to act like the last 18 months never happened. I think the context matters here.

The game itself might be fine (or at least comparable to some of the other sillier elements of the series), but I think it's reasonable for an MGS fan to see this and immediately write it off.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

As an MGS fan, I'm happy to accept whatever spin-offs that Konami want to do for one simple reason: if it doesn't appeal to me I'm under no obligation to buy it.

The previous games already exist, and are widely available, so when I need my fix I can go there, and there's more than enough lore there.

I don't mean to come off as dismissive, I just expect big companies to act like big companies. And if they burn their bridges with the fans then so be it. I'll take my money elsewhere. Like, say, Kojima Productions way... the future is bright.
Craig

Post by Craig »

There was literally nothing Konami could have done that wouldn't have prompted further criticism.

They release a weird spin off? It's sullying the metal gear name.

You create another numbered version? It's a Kojima game, doing it without him is wrong. Stays close to other MGS games? It's a derivative, boring, cash grab. Go too far astray? It's a MGS game in name alone. Again, a cash grab.

You decide to wait a while and don't use the franchise out of respect? You're sitting on the franchise without doing anything. And unfortunately, even if it's beneficial to the series narratively, many games series simply aren't allowed to die.

Konami has certainly warranted a lot of criticism for shoddy working conditions, but I think right now everyone is far too eager to jump on any decision they make.