The Binding of Isaac

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: The Binding of Isaac

Post by James »

:D I was spectacularly over-powered for my first encounter with Mom. Brimstone took some getting used to, but it wrecks entire rooms without regard for life or poop.

7 deaths and an hour to achieve what took me 20hrs and countless lives in the original. Now to start the slow journey into the unknown... never been passed Mom before.

Loving every second of this, and I'm really glad that I stopped playing the original as soon as I defeated Mom for the first time. Feels like a whole new game, and I've nothing but enthusiasm to play a heck of a lot of it now.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Gave this a decent go last night, wondering if I'm doing it wrong. I'm wandering from room to room, killing what's inside, until eventually dying due to lack of hearts. It feels simplistic, random and not that much fun. I like the art style and the sound effects though. Probably played around 45 minutes. Comparisons to Zelda seem way, way off the mark for me (other than the fact you get locked in dungeons)
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

It's games like this that make me love PS+.

While I'd heard of Isaac, I'd never played it or even looked too deep into what the game was. With the release of Rebirth on PS+ I thought why not give it a bash, and by god I'm glad I did.

Like most new players I'm still finding my way, working out what's what and I know there's still much for me to learn. Like how on earth do you open the doors with what looks like metal railings down the middle?!

I'm loving it though, I have it on my PS4 and Vita and often have "a quick go" which turns into the rest of my evening. I've yet to reach Mom but I know I will eventually. In the meantime I'll just keep coming back for more. We can do it Isaac!!
James

Post by James »

It's not really Zelda-like, as you say. At least that's not a comparison I'd make. It was intended to be a dungeon crawler meets bullet hell shooter, if that helps any.

The wandering room-to-room and killing everything inside is spot-on. After a while you'll find it easier to avoid enemy attacks and therefore survive longer, and you'll start to find some really useful items that increase your survivability and effectiveness. It's all about learning the enemy types and items so that you can progress further. Don't be put off by the fact that you're reset to zero with each death, before long you'll find that clearing the first few floors is a piece of cake.

It's not a game for everyone, but like Spelunky, Don't Starve or Super Meat Boy, there are those who fall in love with overcoming the challenges presented and discovering the hidden secrets.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

hazeredmist wrote:Gave this a decent go last night, wondering if I'm doing it wrong. I'm wandering from room to room, killing what's inside, until eventually dying due to lack of hearts. It feels simplistic, random and not that much fun. I like the art style and the sound effects though. Probably played around 45 minutes. Comparisons to Zelda seem way, way off the mark for me (other than the fact you get locked in dungeons)
I felt similar for an hour or so, then it grabbed me and hasn't let go. I was positively underwhelmed by the thing, but it's a hugely sprawling deep game, that will give you back what you put in. I'd say give it a few hours before giving up. It is simplistic and random, but that's half the appeal. I've been playing for hours and hours and only scratched the surface. As you develop different strategies for different enemies and bosses you realise that the game does have a huge tactical element, you learn which enemies need to be taken out first in a room full, enemy attack patterns, different quirks and weaknesses of each boss etc.

One early tip I learned quite quickly is tear bullets fly faster from Isaac if he's moving in the direction he's firing. So for example holding right and firing right so you're closing right in on an enemy will do them in a lot quicker. I feel like this game has so much to give, I'm happy to lie flat on my back and have it sit on me until I can barely breathe...... 0_o
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

tears get a bit of extra momentum from which ever direction you're moving in, so if you're shooting to the right and move up, you can curve your shots around corners a little bit, an important skill to get the hang of.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The beauty of Isaac, right there. Those rooms can equally screw you over, too. :(
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Cheers guys, will persist for a bit but even from what's been said I don't think it's entirely for me. Still a very nice freebie though!
Baron Phil

The Binding of Isaac

Post by Baron Phil »

The 1.01 patch for vita is now live for the UK, finally. I can now pull my save back from the PS4 and get back to playing on the vita :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

God dammit I had an awesome run last night and was scuppered on the final floor >_< It was my most powered up Isaac yet!

For any new players I found a really good series of Let's Play videos on YouTube by a guy called northernlion (I think) where he just runs through the game. There are loads for old BoI but a new series for Rebirth too. If you start on episode one, I found them really useful for the odd tip and just seeing what some of the powerups do. I wouldn't recommend watching them if you literally are just starting because it would take away a lot of the enjoyment of discovery, but if you've done a few hours they're pretty entertaining.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Alex79uk wrote:For any new players I found a really good series of Let's Play videos on YouTube by a guy called northernlion (I think) where he just runs through the game. There are loads for old BoI but a new series for Rebirth too. If you start on episode one, I found them really useful for the odd tip and just seeing what some of the powerups do. I wouldn't recommend watching them if you literally are just starting because it would take away a lot of the enjoyment of discovery, but if you've done a few hours they're pretty entertaining.
this times a million! funny guy, useful advice

My save seems to be doing weird stuff, I managed to unlock ???, but I've only beat Mom's heart once
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

NorthernLion is considered the best, aye. Not seen any myself but its good to see he's still going with rebirth
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I got to a boss rush room.
Oh man!
Then I beat mom's heart, and then I went to a cathedral.
Man! I only popped on for a quick game
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

How'd you get on in the Cathedral? :D
James

Post by James »

I'm still counting the first defeat of Mom as the base completion for Rebirth (credits play and it kicks the player back to the main menu). How many other 'completion' states are there?
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

dezm0nd wrote:How'd you get on in the Cathedral? :D
I managed to get through a few rooms, but Every room seemed to have a boss fight in.
It was tough but great fun!

I also realised that I didn't unlock ???, I unlocked eve.
I have messed up though, I forgot to sync my vita save before playing last night, D'oh!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It says on my stats, mum kills 0. But I have beat her twice! Both times I just got a little cut scene of Isaac then his mum appearing in the door with a knife, then the credits rolled. Did I not win?

EDIT : It wasn't this mums heart thing people talk about though, it was her leg keep on coming down and bits of her kept appearing in doorways.

?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Apparently that doesn't count. I did that literally on my very first ever go of the game and was like, "wha..?!"
Then dez explained I hadn't done it properly yet!
James

Post by James »

ratsoalbion wrote:Apparently that doesn't count. I did that literally on my very first ever go of the game and was like, "wha..?!"
Then dez explained I hadn't done it properly yet!
Yeah. At the end of that cutscene a heavily-silhouetted Mom appears in a dark doorway, brandishing a knife. You have to travel further into the game to defeat her for once and for all. :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Aye. I think I got lucky with my first seed because I've only made it back to the womb twice so far.