The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndyKurosaki

Re: PlayStation 4

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Downloaded Don't Starve (thank you Playstation Plus). No idea what I'm meant to be doing, though I made the mistake of not putting a fire up in Day 2 and got myself killed. So won't make that mistake again :lol:
BasementShaxx

Post by BasementShaxx »

Has anyone else been having problems viewing shared content from people on your friends list? I haven't been able to actually view any of my friends' shared screenshots or clips from the 'What's New' feed yet.
Alex79

Re: PlayStation Vita

Post by Alex79 »

I don't know how well this has even been publicised because I only found it by accident whilst browsing the PS Store, but Flower is now available on Vita! And, it's free! (I don't know whether it was free to me because I bought the PS3 version years ago, but have a check!)

I'll admit, I wasn't particularly taken with it when I played it on the PS3, but playing in bed after dark on the Vita, I'm definitely up for giving it another try. Seems the perfect 'go to sleep' game!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Haven't even tried that myself yet. To be honest my Share button has barely been used :lol:
PlexShaw

PlayStation Vita

Post by PlexShaw »

Flower has been available on the Vita for a couple of months. It's free for you because you purchased the PS3 version, as it's cross-buy. It's also available in a similar capacity on the PS4.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

I have a major gripe with so called "Share" function. Last week i decided to give it a go & found it totally underwhelming, it doesnt work like they said is was going too & is so ill explained anywhere on PS4/PSN or any Sony articles anywhere.
Was in a game of BF4, cool shit happened, i pressed Share. This took a screenshot & i got into the vid section to view my 'epic moment'. Wasnt there, but the first 10 mins of gameplay after i switched on my PS4 was there. Thats the problem. It doesnt record your last 15mins until you tell it to by pressing the share button after initial startup of your machine.
The editing is really primitive aswell, you can cut only one chunk out of the recording to post. From what i can see you cannot cut 2,3 or 4 chunks of say 2min sections & paste the together for one post, it has to be 3 separate ones.
For me, the linking of Share to Twitter does not work full stop, even though i have linked the accounts.
Posting to Facebook is, erm, ok, i guess. But from what i can see through trial & error, is that a vid posted to FB cannot be more than. 6ish minutes long, otherwise it just doesn't go up.
On the subject of vid duration, if the PS4 records up to 15mins then that is the amount we should be able to show on the PS4's 'Whats New' window on the dashboard. Its not, the longest vid i got up on it was around the 6 minute mark(same as FB). The longer vids only showed up as black screens, some where never even posted.
Now, this is new territory for Sony & i understand that, but don't give us this half baked idea to use, get it working first. It takes literally hours(4-5 for 10 min vid) to upload. On the PS4 dash it says video is uploaded but its nowhere to be seen, so frustrating.
In the end i did get a couple of short vids up but all the good was taken out of the experience by the shoddy system that Sony seem reluctant to explain how to use.
Share is a good idea badly executed in my opinion & i really couldn't be arsed with it till its modified. It takes too long to upload something for it to be lost in cyberspace because it doesn't meet a certain criteria. Bloody well tell me that before i try to upload, or extend the vid duration limit on the 'Whats New' section. Or better still just get Youtube integration & save us all the bother of this FacebookTwitter linking nonsense.
If anyone has any more info on this amazing Share functionality, please, do "share" it here.
Pun intented. :P
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

It's appalling by how unclear everything is.

The first thing I did was change the buttons around. I now tap for a screenshot, hold for "Share" and double tap for... something to do with video. But you don't really know, because if you do it once you get a symbol in the top right, but do it again and you get the same symbol. Why they didn't make it "Start" and "Stop" I have no idea. That would make far more sense, then you just record what you play.

To share DVR footage the idea is that you just hold it and then it shares the last 15 minutes. Although that's the last 15 minutes if you're lucky, because as Darren Forman can also attest to, sometimes it will just use a completely random 15 minutes from earlier in that session and not the one you wanted. End result of which is that the 15 minutes you wanted are gone forever. That whole system is unclear. When that works, it's great, but the fact that it's now becoming a lottery as to whether it's actually the previous 15 minutes or a completely different time is a problem.

To counter that, the Xbox One has the perfect option of "Record That", for that epic moment, but it's only 30 seconds and it would be much easier if it were at least twice that and the Xbox One has a really good edit suite, but it only records 5 minutes. Five minutes really isn't a great deal and Sony's option of 15 minutes is much better.

What we need for both systems is a middle ground, neither have gotten it right, but where Sony really have it wrong is with how unclear it all is. It doesn't work as I was expecting it to and I had to actually read a tutorial online and converse with two different people. It's made clear in the system that Single Tap (or double on mine with the alternate method - which makes far more sense btw) is for video recording, but it's completely pointless, because to actually share you hold the button down to initiate the share feature and then Edit/Share the last 15 minutes - when it IS your last 15 minutes. That's one thing they need to fix, because it's broken.

If they could just make the video share option (single tap by default) a previous 30 seconds like the Xbox "Record That" feature then we'd be getting an improvement and make it so the actual previous 15 minutes share feature shared the actual previous 15 minutes, then it would be a lot clearer.

If I need to use tutorials to figure out any console system feature, or a company needs to put them out there, then it's not right. We've had this be the case for both Sony's Sharing system and Microsoft's Party System. At least Microsoft are now acknowledging it's not right and are changing it soon, I'm really hoping Sony alter theirs. We're in a day and age of features where we can no longer afford to be kept waiting for fixes, no longer should we have to "Put up with it" as some people have said. I agree Don, it's both underwhelming and, as has been the case on several occasions, actually broken.
BasementShaxx

Post by BasementShaxx »

I think I found the source of the problem with not being able to view your friends' screenshots and videos in the What's New feed - if you have it set to upload to facebook and your facebook settings only allow your friends to view your posts, then it won't show up for people on What's New unless they are friends with you on facebook. Hopefully Sony can fix it, if indeed that's definitely the cause of the problem.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Maybe, but doesnt explain why 3 of my vids had black screens & unable to view. I mean like, i couldnt even watch them in the 'Whats New' section & im friends with me. :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So yeah I was really looking forward to trying Flower again when I got in to bed. Sadly, the controls on Vita render the game completely unplayable. Anyone else tried it? What a mess.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

PS Vita will be getting Dynasty Warriors Next, and Modnation Racers in February. Free for PlayStation Plus Subscribers.

Pretty good, polar opposite duo of games there. Nice!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Outlast coming to PS4 February 5th. Free for PlayStation Plus members.

Held off buying this on Steam as I had heard it was coming to Plus! Good stuff
BasementShaxx

Post by BasementShaxx »

Indiana747 wrote:Maybe, but doesnt explain why 3 of my vids had black screens & unable to view. I mean like, I couldn't even watch them in the 'Whats New' section & im friends with me. :lol:
Yeah I don't get that either. I've also had that problem with the system not recording the last 15 minutes of gameplay and only showing the previous 15 minutes. First respectable killstreak I get in Baffy and the system didn't record it :cry:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm quite interested in Dynasty Warriors but do we really want yet another karting game after LBP Karting and Sonic & Sega Racing have both been given in the last few months? I can't say another one is really interesting me that much. Quite surprised they've not given out the Asassins Creed game yet.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

hazeredmist wrote:Finished Persona 4 Golden. What an amazing game.
Played about 20hrs of it so far. It is utterly brilliant
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Ended up getting a PS4 for my birthday :) Let the games begin!

Picked up Assassin's Creed with the system, but mostly I'm anxiously awaiting Octodad. Whenever that's coming out. I don't think we have a solid release date on that yet.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It's out Steam real soon but according to his twitter account, it'll be March which means April, most likely.
BasementShaxx

Post by BasementShaxx »

While we wait for Octodad there's always Outlast to enjoy/fear next month - http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/14/530672 ... n-february
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

I don't really understand Standby mode. When they announced it, it sounded like it allows you to resume gameplay with little delay starting up. Whenever I put my machine into Standby, though, it always boots to the PS4's main menu just like if I had turned the system off. Also, it doesn't seem to turn the TV on via HDMI when it's coming back from Standby like it does when being turned on from the off state.
Sean

Post by Sean »

InsrtCoins wrote:I don't really understand Standby mode. When they announced it, it sounded like it allows you to resume gameplay with little delay starting up. Whenever I put my machine into Standby, though, it always boots to the PS4's main menu just like if I had turned the system off. Also, it doesn't seem to turn the TV on via HDMI when it's coming back from Standby like it does when being turned on from the off state.
You're thinking of "suspend mode" which, is what they touted at the reveal, but, is now coming in the next firmware update.

There are a few differences between standby mode, and, turning the system off completely. In standby mode, the PS4 stays in a low power mode, allowing it to sync trophies and saves, and charge your accessories through USB. You can also turn it on remotely, either through the PS app on your phone, or Vita.

Turning it off will fully power it down.