Games Completed 2013

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Games completed 2013

Post by Todinho »

23/01 -sine mora ,sure wasnt expecting this game to be what it is...I think this has one of most bleak and confusing stories I've ever seen in games,It left me a little bit like spec ops did,now time to get of my lazy ass and finish lone survivor!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Lone Survivor is another bleak, confusing story! You're on a roll. If you like Silent Hill (1 & 2) you'll love it.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

dezm0nd wrote:Lone Survivor is another bleak, confusing story! You're on a roll. If you like Silent Hill (1 & 2) you'll love it.
Interesting of you to say that,I've been meaning to replay those for awhile now...I think I know what games I will attempt to finnish next :lol:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Spoiler: show
January -

El Shaddai
DmC
Lego Lord of the Rings
Love+
The Cave - A decent puzzle game but never reaches beyond that. A few bugs which frustrated me a bit and some very old school vagueness is probably why it reviewed around 7/10 and I feel that's justified.

I didn't find it overly hilarious but rather little chuckles here and there. Definitely worth a shot if you like puzzle/adventure games.

Loved the art style, mind. Reminds me of weird animated short of Michael Jackson running about Hollywood Studios, kind of stop animation/California raisins show
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS)
Jan - Frog Fractions (PC)
Jan - Okami HD (PS3)
Jan - Fez (360)
Jan - Sleeping Dogs (360)
Jan - Spec Ops: The Line (PS3)
Jan - Shenmue 2 (360 bc)

*replayed (including remakes of originals I've completed)
Jan - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (PS3)
Jan - DmC: Devil May Cry (360)
Jan - Sine Mora (PS3)
Jan - Zone of the Enders HD (PS3)
Jan - Streets of Rage 2 (PS3)*
Jan - Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PS3)
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

02 Jan: Papo & Yo (PS3)
04 Jan: God of War HD (PS3)
04 Jan: Frog Fractions (browser)
07 Jan: Devil May Cry 3 (PS2)
13 Jan: Super Mario 3D Land - Normal (3DS)
15 Jan: Anarchy Reigns (PS3)
24 Jan: Thomas Was Alone (PC)

Loved it! Wish I had played it sooner! :)
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

3rd Jan - Call Of Duty: Black Ops Declassified (PSV)
7th Jan - Little Big Planet Vita (PSV)
24th Jan - Resident Evil 6 (PS3)

I've said it in other threads but I truly feel Resi 6 gets an unfair amount of backlash. I really enjoyed it start to finish.

It has a fair amount of non Resident Evil feeling sections but it's such a long game it's actually nice to have something different in there once in a while.

No it isn't Resident Evil 4 but it's head and shoulders above 5. I've been playing the series since the first game came out and fail to see why any fan of the series wouldn't enjoy this sixth core game.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Rich wrote:Super Mario 3D Land - All Stars normal and special
What a game! Worth the £169 for the 3DS just for that game!

Ocarina of Time 3D.
Played it a lot in the past but this is my first time finishing it. Wow. It really deserves all the praise it gets.
Now for the Master Quest.
Blackwell Unbound.
Really cool old style adventure game. It's short and sweet but it's part of a 4 part ongoing series so it can be forgiven.
Sweet soundtrack as well.

The Cave.
I really really enjoyed it. Really fresh feeling charming adventure game. I only played it through once (Time Traveller, Hillbilly and Adventurer) but I'll be playing it at least a couple more times to see all the content.
Kind of tempted to get the sweet figurines from Double Fine. http://shop.doublefine.com/collections/ ... -cave-toys
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

January:

Frog Fractions (PC/Browser)
Dear Esther (PC) *replayed
Anarchy Reigns (360)
DmC: Devil May Cry (360) Finished on Nephilim and SoS, now halfway through Dante Must Die. The imagination and spectacle were the big draw for me first time through, but the combat system keeps me coming back. Also, much like Bayonetta, I'm finding that the difficulty is pitched just right so that each playthrough flows quite nicely on from the last.

This is up there with the very best of its genre for me. Really beautifully put-together game.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

02 Jan: Papo & Yo (PS3)
04 Jan: God of War HD (PS3)
04 Jan: Frog Fractions (browser)
07 Jan: Devil May Cry 3 (PS2)
13 Jan: Super Mario 3D Land - Normal (3DS)
15 Jan: Anarchy Reigns (PS3)
24 Jan: Thomas Was Alone (PC)
26 Jan: DmC: Devil May Cry (PC)

I still have a special place in my heart for Devil May Cry 3, but there is a strong argument for this being the best game in the series. I played through on normal, because I plan to review it for the site, but now I'm going to go through the harder difficulty settings.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

For any beat 'em up titles, a completion is classed as either a run through arcade mode or story mode if the game has one.
* signifies multiple playthroughs

01.01 - Frog Fractions // Web Browser (link)
02.01 - Grind Star // Web Browser (link)
02.01 - Hug Marine // Web Browser (link)
03.01 - Thirty Flights of Loving* // PC
03.01 - Gravity Bone // PC
04.01 - Passage // iOS
04.01 - Dead Space 2 // Xbox 360
05.01 - Dishonored // Xbox 360
05.01 - Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown // Playstation 3
15.01 - Not Pacman // Web Browser
15.01 - DmC: Devil May Cry (2013) // Xbox 360
19.01 - 10000000 // iOS
23.01 - Home // PC
27.01 - Sonic Jump // iOS
27.01 - Max Payne 3 // Xbox 360

Total Games Completed: 15

Sonic Jump This was one of the Apple AppStore's 12 Apps of Christmas thing they did and I picked it up then for free. It's something I've been working on for 10-20 minutes here and there over the last few weeks and I finally managed to get the game finished off. It's essentially DoodleJump with a levelling system for upgrades and unlocks (special abilities, wallpapers, characters etc.)
It's good, looks nice, is an officially licensed Sega Sonic game and, if you like DoodleJump, you'll probably like this. It's certainly quite challenging in the final worlds.
There's 48 different levels across 4 Worlds (all from the Sonic Universe, such as Green Hill) and each World is split into 2 lots of 6, every 6th level being a battle against Dr. Robotnik where you have to bump him 3 times.

Some things are odd to get used to, such as all attacks on enemies only working from underneath (like DoodleJump) where as your natural instinct is to land on top.

Max Payne 3 This is the 7th full completion for me, not including failed attempts at New York Minute Hardcore, due to the recent DLC which added a new SP mode called "Challenge Mode". It was interesting, although, not really that challenging and could have been in there from the very start which is a shame.
That said, as a game I absolutely love it, for me it's by far the best example of a third person shooting mechanic and the presentation really is second-to-none. Excellent.
James

Post by James »

01/01 - Dishonored [sic] (Steam)
02/01 - Frog Fractions (Browser)
02/01 - Grindstar (Browser)
02/01 - Hug Marine (Browser)
03/01 - Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
03/01 - Thirty Flights Of Loving (Steam)
03/01 - Gravity Bone (Steam)
04/01 - Hundreds (iOS)
05/01 - 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS)
19/01 - Spec Ops: The Line (Steam)
19/01 - The Binding Of Isaac (Steam)
21/01 - 10000000 (iOS)
27/01 - DmC (Steam)
27/01 - Life Of Pixel (PSM/Vita)

Incredible! I went back to Devil May Cry and started Devil May Cry 3 this week in an effort to assess how much had changed in the reboot. Ninja Theory knocked it out of the park in every way. :mrgreen:

Life Of Pixel is a great little platformer that mimics the style of old home computers and consoles. There's a "world" each for the ZX81, 2600, ZX Spectrum, BBC Micro, CPC64, Commodore 64, Gameboy and NES. Its vicious in places, requiring rote learning of the levels by trial and error. All that good old stuff. :twisted:

Running total = 15
The running total includes additional and repeat playthroughs (NG+, co-op, etc.), but the list is spared them to keep it shorter.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

For any beat 'em up titles, a completion is classed as either a run through arcade mode or story mode if the game has one.
* signifies multiple playthroughs
§ completed to level 25, all songs before the huge grind encouraged to pay £21 for remaining songs(!)

01.01 - Frog Fractions // Web Browser (link)
02.01 - Grind Star // Web Browser (link)
02.01 - Hug Marine // Web Browser (link)
03.01 - Thirty Flights of Loving* // PC
03.01 - Gravity Bone // PC
04.01 - Passage // iOS
04.01 - Dead Space 2 // Xbox 360
05.01 - Dishonored // Xbox 360
05.01 - Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown // Playstation 3
15.01 - Not Pacman // Web Browser
15.01 - DmC: Devil May Cry (2013) // Xbox 360
19.01 - 10000000 // iOS
23.01 - Home // PC
25.01 - Groove Coaster Zero§ // iOS
27.01 - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West // Xbox 360

Total Games Completed: 17
27.01 - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West // Xbox 360

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West I finally got around to finishing this game and enjoyed it. It's not without its flaws, having played Ninja Theory's DmC they've certainly improved on combat implementation because Enslaved's isn't as good as I'd have liked due to both a lack of variation and lack of a lock-on feature (which I never once missed in DmC.) They're also a lot smarter with direction because whilst you have control over the camera with the right-stick, it certainly has its quirks, often losing track of Monkey or simply whipping around, out of control (even when not using the RS.) That said, I'd recommend people play it, the game has some wonderful characters, some great story telling and a colour palette that you almost never see in games.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

NokkonWud wrote:27.01 - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West // Xbox 360

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West I finally got around to finishing this game and enjoyed it. It's not without its flaws, having played Ninja Theory's DmC they've certainly improved on combat implementation because Enslaved's isn't as good as I'd have liked due to both a lack of variation and lack of a lock-on feature (which I never once missed in DmC.) They're also a lot smarter with direction because whilst you have control over the camera with the right-stick, it certainly has its quirks, often losing track of Monkey or simply whipping around, out of control (even when not using the RS.) That said, I'd recommend people play it, the game has some wonderful characters, some great story telling and a colour palette that you almost never see in games.
Do you think the final third let it down? That seems to be the common consensus but I can't make my mind up (leaning more towards it than against).
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

I disliked the pigsy stuff but that was down to character development, the environmental structure of the game I enjoyed throughout though, also I think I'm one of the few people that actually enjoyed the ending and the direction that could have taken the sequel in.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

mikeleddy83 wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:27.01 - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West // Xbox 360

Do you think the final third let it down? That seems to be the common consensus but I can't make my mind up (leaning more towards it than against).
I don't, I felt like it felt right in that game. I wasn't overly enamoured with the environment when if came down to scrapyards, it felt over played, especially when the sections leading up to it were so wonderful to look at.
The things that let me down in that game were there throughout and not exclusive to the final third (or any third really.)
Ghost World wrote:I disliked the pigsy stuff but that was down to character development, the environmental structure of the game I enjoyed throughout though, also I think I'm one of the few people that actually enjoyed the ending and the direction that could have taken the sequel in.
I absolutely loved the ending - but I am also happy for the game to end there, without a sequel.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Finished Uncharted 3 - Good game with some truly stunning moments but due to the sheer amount of time fighting what felt like endless enemies I couldn't help feel that it cheapened the experience.

It's as almost if they had it ready to go and realised that it could be done in 5-6 hours, threw some more enemies into each combat scenario just to pad it out.

Add onto the slightly arse shooting mechanic and it definitely adds more game time on artificially.

There were two puzzles which were horribly designed in a way that it either didn't let you in on what to do or was a bit misleading but other than that, a genuinely fun story with satisfying platformy bits.

Uncharted 2 is still the high point of this series for me but I grabbed 3 for 90p in Morrison's so I can't complain.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Uncharted 2 was far better
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

90p?!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

They had a clearance the other week and before they even hit the shelves, I bought one of everything going and sold them on eBay and made a pretty penny.

Each game for 99p and then I get 10% off as a staff member discount ;)

I kept uncharted 3, azuras wrath and Dragon Quest DS.