The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sean

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by Sean »

Wahey, I just got a Wii U not too long ago. Y'all should add me!

Screen name is Xer0Signal, obvs.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome to Happy Club!
:D
chase210

Re: The 3DS / Nintendo Direct Thread

Post by chase210 »

At least one more direct before the end of the year!

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/659279491622043648

Kinda sad to imagine it without Iwata, but I'm hungry for some news from Nintendo.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ah, nice one chase! Was wondering when one was going to crop up.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Nintendo plan to revamp its online account systems.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-ann ... 8029.phtml
adwild1982

Post by adwild1982 »

Not sure if this is where I should post this. But Tesco direct are selling 2ds with mario kart 7 installed for £49. Such a bargain I have picked up 2. If you have club card vouchers they can be doubled up and used to make it even better value.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Some interesting updates coming in this weeks Super Mario Maker patch.

Adding checkpoints will make the game a lot more playable for me. I got burned out really quick on playing the beginning of levels over and over only to die on some rubbish level design.
RobC

Post by RobC »

I'd love to play Mario Maker more, but the amount of novelty levels I was encountering really soured me. I think it needs proper tagging support beyond simply starring levels, even small set of tags put out there by Nintendo would be enough to offer a bit more of a focused experience would be good enough.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, checkpoints are a very welcome addition as far as I'm concerned.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, my Wii U.

I love it but it gets very little actual love.

I bought it to put on the front room TV as my Xbox One is next to my iMac on my desk. Having the Wii U in the front room gave the option of couch co-op with my wife, who likes games but they have to be put in her hand type of thing. Also, the underlying fact of things was that I wanted to play the Nintendo first party titles, like Mario and Zelda, so the only option was to pick one up.

It's used very often for things like Netflix and Youtube, which is fantastic really.

Since I bought it I've purchased, New Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart 8, Metroid Trilogy, Splatoon and Super Mario Maker. Plus a few virtual console titles for the NES & SNES but the least said about them the better, terrible emulator, sound bugs, screen issues, very bad.

We also picked up a brand new balance board and Wii fitness for £9, which we use quite a bit really, well she does anyway.

Every game I've played on the console is great, really great. Every time I've picked it up and used it, its delivered, which is all you can ask of it really and I also have the reassuring feeling of knowing that any new first party title that comes out I can play.

It's also great for when friends come round for food, or a drink and after a few hours one of them plucks up the courage to ask, "Is that a Nintendo ?" minutes later we're all playing Mario Kart 8. Good times.

Mario Maker

I pre-ordered it with the limited edition 8 Bit classic Mario Amiibo, it arrived, I played with for a while, then got tired of the Mario challenge. Too many times, I'd get to the final level only to be greeted some some crazy moving platform level with a million Bullet Bill's crossing the screen - CONSTANTLY. I'd always end up quitting before I'd run out of bullets.

The level creator is great. I set myself a challenge of making something people would enjoy, as opposed to something that would frustrate players. Something that would also give satisfaction once completed.

It's hard to do.

I'd find that I'd spend a while designing something all the time with the idea that the person playing it would do as I thought they would. Then, when I'd get friends, or my wife to play it, they would often do the complete opposite thing to what I would expect them to do. Or, go in a completely different direction or prioritise something else other than what I thought was the obvious thing to do - it was such a fantastic feeling watching someone trying to work out how to beat your level, no matter how simple it is.

Another great feeling is logging on again after a while and looking at the stats of your level once it's live. I think last time I looked, it had had about 75 attempts, with about a 30% completion rate. It had also been enjoyed enough by two players to even award it 2 stars - Very Proud.

I must go back and make another one thinking about it...........

It's nothing grand by all accounts and was just my first attempt but if anyone wants to have a go my GT is Suits (or Suterovich on Nintendo) and the level is called, Hop, Skip, Jump.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

So this is tonight then.

We already know one thing that's likely to be in it, thanks to a PEGI leak...
Spoiler: show
Minecraft on the WiiU! Hope it has Amiibo support...
Usual reminder that if you're watching the US one it may well have different content and in a different order to the EU and JP ones... That always makes following it on twitter fun.

(The other fun detail is that whenever someone speaks Japanese in a direct video the EU version has subtitles but the US one dubs it.)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Thanks for putting that in a spoiler box! I do like surprises but it could work against me and get me TOO excited.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Prediction: Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland 2
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Hah! Imagine them greenlighting a sequel to that game. That is a weird game. Like, really weird.
Craig

Post by Craig »

ratsoalbion wrote:Prediction: Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland 2
Come oooon localisation of Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Twilight princess HD is all I really need, but I'd like a Pokemon Z reveal at last as well.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Craig wrote:
ratsoalbion wrote:Prediction: Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland 2
Come oooon localisation of Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love.
Got to admit, I'd completely forgotten that had even happened.
:?:
Sean

Post by Sean »

Here, how's the emulation on this thing as opposed to the 3DS? I'm looking to download all the Zeldas, but, I'm not sure which platform I should play them on.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

NES and Game Boy emulation is basically identical - perfect- on both. It's just whether you want to play handheld or not.

Once you're on to ALTTP (Zelda III) and the GBA then Wii U is your only (officially legal) emulation option anyway as 3DS VC doesn't support those formats.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The bigger 3DS news from the Nintendo Direct (USA)

Added content for Tri Force Heroes
Zelda DS games out on 3DS today!
Nintendo badge arcade is a UFO grabber game which customises your console dashboard with earned badges.
MegaMan collection coming to 3DS, uses MegaMan amiibo
Mario & Luigi Paper Jam Bros is out soon! (Jan 22nd for USA)
Fire Emblem Fates is coming in Feb 2016. Has multiple titles.
Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow coming to Virtual Console in Feb. Has WiFi support!
Female Link "Linkle" confirmed for Hyrule Warriors Legends. Released March 2016
Bravely Second in 2016
Dragon Quest VII & VIII are coming to 3DS
Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U to feature Final Fantasy VII's very own Cloud.