The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by dezm0nd »

The final Smash Bros direct is airing next week!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/1 ... ros_direct
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The final Smash Bros Direct is airing in about an hour, if you're interested!

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

dezm0nd wrote:We've not had a Wii U game night for a while. If the online features allow for easy custom games, would we entertain a FAST Racing NEO game night over the Christmas break?
I got the game so I'd be up for that. There's an option to create a lobby for friends so it should be possible.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I feel like it's been a while since we got together! Now that Splatoon has lobbies I was also thinking of getting a game night going for that.
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

That sounds great too, and now that I think about it we never did a Smash Bros. one! I don't know if tournaments solved the problems we would've had in the beginning?

...and how about that Bayonetta announcement? Unexpected!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Yeah that made me think about booting up Smash again for the first time since I bought it.

FAST Racing Neo or Splatoon night over Christmas sounds great! Or if they prove hard to muster 4 people for, there's always Mario Kart...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

See I'd love to play Splatoon with you lot, but I'm nowhere near my WiiU over the Christmas period...
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Splatoon, Smash Bros or Mario Kart over Christmas would be great. Buying a PS4 has pulled me away from my Wii U a bit, but it would we be great to dive back in over the holiday
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Right, expect an announcement soon of a Wii U game night. Not sure what game yet, but Splatoon is most likely! Keep 'em peeled
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Selfishly I'm not near my Wii U except on 28th, 29th, 30th and 1st. But if it ends up being one of those days, hope to join in!

Would you bother to set up a chat room on Skype, preassign weapons / roles or just play online? Genuinely never done online multiplayer before bar some antisocial MK8 so wasn't sure what the etiquette was, but I sense Splatoon could be a great tactical shooter with some dialogue...
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

We've never done Skype before and had a good time but don't let that stop you from organising one for people to swear at each other with! :)
Grimsgrams

Nintendo Wii U

Post by Grimsgrams »

I've used Discord for voice chat in Nintendo games sometimes and it's a nice alternative to Skype in that it doesn't require you to add people to a contact list just to chat. It's sort of like Teamspeak and Mumble, except it's free.

Edit: I'm also not near my Wii U between the 23rd and 27th, as I'll be spending Christmas elsewhere.
Suits

Post by Suits »

So I spent some Admin time with my Wii U the other night.

Literally since I bought it over a year ago, I just plugged it in and turned it on played Mario - nothing more.

Recently I've been getting a little bored of the so serious Xbox One and playing 'try hard' games with the lads all the time, the Wii U is a wonderful pallet cleanser for that. As is my 3DS-XL, which has been updated, charged and given a new library of cartridges for the annual Christmas pilgrimage back to the mother land that is South Wales.

Anyway, after I'd spent a while looking through the settings on the Wii U, creating folders and organising my games into a system, I know understand it a lot more.

MiiVerse is a weird sort of thing, unsure of what that's all about but I set it up anyway. Also I wasn't sure of how to add friends, or even if that is a thing that is displayed on the Wii U. Can you see what people on your list are playing like on say the Xbox One ??

Also, do the lobbies have sound, how do you communicate with people in lobbies, I've not seen or even heard of a headset :? .

And finally, I fear the worst here, but how do you change the colour or theme of the Wii U, like on the DS ??
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Suits wrote:
MiiVerse is a weird sort of thing, unsure of what that's all about but I set it up anyway. Also I wasn't sure of how to add friends, or even if that is a thing that is displayed on the Wii U. Can you see what people on your list are playing like on say the Xbox One ??
You can add friends through the Friends List app, by registering them if you know their NNID, or finding them in your Player History. From the Friends app you can see what people are playing, but not much else. You can receive friend requests in Miiverse, but you can't send them. You can also send messages through Miiverse, but not game invites or stuff like that. Just text or drawing. To join a friend in a game you usually have to do that actually in-game, if that's even possible depending on what game it is.

Miiverse itself is more like a strange pseudo-social media thing. You can post stuff in communities dedicated to certain games, and have conversations with people like a forum. You also have an Activity Feed that shows you all the things you and your friends have been posting. You can also follow people in Miiverse without being their friend, so their stuff shows up in your Activity Feed too.

But generally it's a pretty awkward and bare-bones system. If you really want to organise something you more or less have to do it elsewhere.

Also, do the lobbies have sound, how do you communicate with people in lobbies, I've not seen or even heard of a headset :? .
Some games support, but most don't. If a game does, then your Gamepad works as both the headset microphone and speaker. The only game I've seen do this is Monster Hunter 3U.

And finally, I fear the worst here, but how do you change the colour or theme of the Wii U, like on the DS ??
I don't think that's a thing you can do on the Wii U. I don't recall ever having heard of that feature being a thing, and I've never seen any Wii U Home screen with anything other than the default theme.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Cheers for the info :) .
Suits

Post by Suits »

Damnit, I procrastinated over the Yoshi Wolly World amiibo deal on Amazon for £33, just went to order it and its back to £46 :evil: .
Suits

Post by Suits »

So I just convinced a mate to buy a Wii U so we can mess about with MK8, Splatoon and SMM.

However, I've just found out that there's now party chat or equivalent - is this true ??

Also, that even lobbying up together can be a problem.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It's not the best for friends playing together but it works on a per game basis. You can play MK8 with your friend if you join their race but voice chat, if it's a public game, is a no.

Private games, you can talk after each race.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Hmmmm, yeah, what a shame.

It's cool, our work around will be to use our wireless Turtle Beach's and just boot up the Xbox and use party chat on there.

A pain but a simple solution once it's set up and running.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Had a day of Wii U with my brother in law this Saturday just gone, it's a real shame it doesn't come out more often - it's brilliant. I really feel like Nintendo dropped the ball with the whole party chat thing as touched on above, particularly with games like Mario Kart and Splatoon. I'd play Splatoon a LOT more if there was a community I could get involved with on the game, as it is, I'm always going to be more likely to play multiplayer games on PS4 where I can party chat with ease.

It's irritating - the console is capable of it so why can't we have it! When you're in the same room, it's not even a competition - it's the best console on the market with fun games for everyone to enjoy. Online, it's a thoroughly deserved distant third place.