Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
KSubzero1000

Re: Videogame News

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 5th, 2019, 10:07 am

Oh, PS4 too? Nice! :o

The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe is set to come out this year as well. Good stuff all around.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 5th, 2019, 12:13 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:07 am
Oh, PS4 too? Nice! :o
Yes! Will either of us be able to get the platinum trophy? :D

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 6th, 2019, 11:40 am

Pretty odd and distinctive looking pinball-based [Wait! Come back, where are you going?] dungeon crawler(?) coming on all platforms except PS4 September 6.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 6th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Doesn't look half bad, actually.

I like games with a unique gameplay hook and design philosophy. This is inherently more interesting to me than yet another uninspired second rate Metroidvania or Diablo clone.

On the list it goes!

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » September 6th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Although very different, Yoku's Island Express combined pinball mechanics with a 2D metroidvania to produce something really quite excellent, so I'm up for more pinball-based genre mash-ups!

Who knows, maybe it'll become to next niche hipster sub-genre of choice!

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 6th, 2019, 4:09 pm

:lol:

Yoku's was pretty pain- and penalty-free pinball, I wonder if this one is the same (I have my doubts). Agreed that it looks very nice. It has just appeared on the Steam Store for the princely sum of 11.24€

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 6th, 2019, 6:25 pm

I wouldn't say that was very pinball to be honest (the Creature In The Well game I mean). I can see where that comes from, but I think it looks more like a modernised version of Arkanoid with a bit of the Furi projectile parrying mechanic thrown in. Certainly looks interesting. Can't decide if I like the art style or not at the moment.

clippa

Post by clippa » September 8th, 2019, 10:27 pm

Still got my finger on the pulse.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 9th, 2019, 8:58 am

Alex79uk wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:25 pm
I wouldn't say that was very pinball to be honest (the Creature In The Well game I mean). I can see where that comes from, but I think it looks more like a modernised version of Arkanoid with a bit of the Furi projectile parrying mechanic thrown in. Certainly looks interesting. Can't decide if I like the art style or not at the moment.
I saw someone describe it as a 'pinball-adjacent game'. :)
Spoiler: show
Reviews haven't been that kind in any case.

clippa

Post by clippa » September 9th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Chopper wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:58 am
cbeebies
:lol: Yeah, but that's not always a bad thing. Looking after my nephew when he was a squelcher and having an excuse to watch all those shows was fab. They really help slow everything down and put things back into perspective.
Peggle x dungeon crawler sounds like a very potent drug cocktail to me. I could easily lose years of my life to that if they get the mix just right.
My brain rotting and dribbling out of my ears, staring vacantly through the screen, my left mouse button finger rhythmically clicking away ♪♫♬What's the story at Balamory♪♫♬

clippa

Post by clippa » September 12th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 13th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Llamasoft documentary goes live on Kickstarter: https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2019/09/1 ... er/357373/

Should be pretty interesting. Jeff Minter is an absolute gaming legend, his psychadelic shooters have captivated people for decades, and I'm sure nobody knows quite what's going on in his head, least of all him :lol:

I shall look forward to watching it.

clippa

Post by clippa » September 15th, 2019, 1:46 am

clippa wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 10:27 pm
Roundguard

Oh god, this is everything I hoped for/feared. This is my life now. Got 5th place on the leaderboard on my first go, that's impressive, innit? I'm a goodboy.

Look at how cute the devs are :lol: Looks like they're about to do brother and sister rolling skating on britain's got talent or something - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dl4RhQGU4AEQzwO.jpg

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » September 15th, 2019, 2:50 am

Flabyo wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 12:01 pm
80 days probably runs on that, as will most of Inkle’s other games.
duskvstweak wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 1:51 pm
Have you tried Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery? And, I load up Plague Inc. every now and then.
Thanks for the replies and sorry about the delay in responding.

Yes, 80 Days and the rest of Inkle's games work fine on it. I bought the lot of 'em. I've now bought 80 Days three times!

I haven't played Sword and Sworcery EP but I will do. Embarrassing confession - for the longest time I thought the 'EP' meant that it was an EP of the soundtrack. I used to come across it on the Play Store and I thought it was just music for sale in the way that Steam also sells game soundtracks. I really am an idiot.

As a quick aside, for anyone else that inherits an ageing iPad, don't give up on it. You may not be able to install the most basic of software, such as Gmail, but there's still plenty in the Appstore to make it worth your while. Earlier today I came across the Korg iMS-20, which is the official digital reproduction of their classic semi-modular synth, which in this version includes a drum machine, 7 channel mixer, analog sequencer and an FX module. It rocks like an absolute bastard. It costs nearly 35 quid but a glitch at the checkout means I never got charged a penny.