Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ThirdDrawing

Re: Videogame News

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Fatal Frame (Wii) has been announced for PS4/5/Switch. First time coming out in English

Yakuza Ishin (Yakuza in Edo Japan) has also been announced as a remake titled "Like a Dragon: Ishin".

Octopath Traveller II was announced.

The first Front Mission remake will come out this November. FM2 will come out next year, and a remake for FM3 was also announced.

Kirby - Return to Dreamland (Wii) remake was announced

Koei Tecmo announced Rise of the Ronin for PS5.

A new game from the Danganronpa creator was announced - Rain Code Detective (or something like that)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

HOLY FUCK KONAMI IS REMASTERING SUIKODEN 1 AND 2 IN ONE COLLECTION AND IT'S GETTING A PHYSICAL RELEASE!

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/suikode ... tch-and-pc
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

ThirdDrawing wrote: September 14th, 2022, 6:53 pm Octopath Traveller II was announced.
A new game from the Danganronpa creator was announced - Rain Code Detective (or something like that)
I'll definitely be picking this up at some point, but if I'm being honest, I found the trailer they showed to be pretty underwhelming. It looks like nothing has been changed at all from the first game, outside of swapping out sprites. Looks a lot more like Octopath Traveler (again) than Octopath Traveler 2, if that makes sense. And that wouldn't even bother me, but the original game had plenty a sequel could improve on.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdDrawing wrote: September 16th, 2022, 10:22 am HOLY FUCK KONAMI IS REMASTERING SUIKODEN 1 AND 2 IN ONE COLLECTION AND IT'S GETTING A PHYSICAL RELEASE!

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/suikode ... tch-and-pc
Seen a lot of hype for this - it's worth playing them? I have a lot of time for the SNES era JRPGs, seems like this is a well loved series? (Although was this PS1 rather than SNES, originally?)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Alex79 wrote: September 16th, 2022, 8:47 pm
Seen a lot of hype for this - it's worth playing them? I have a lot of time for the SNES era JRPGs, seems like this is a well loved series? (Although was this PS1 rather than SNES, originally?)
It's my favourite rpg series ever.
I dont want to overhype them and disappoint you so I will just say this.

They meet all the hallmarks of a great rpg - great characters, interesting story, fun battle system and excellent music. The first game is good, the second game refines and improves everything the first did.

They are absolutely worth your time and it really looks like Konami isn't half-assing this, which makes me really happy.

If you haven't played them before, I would say they are essential, but I don't know if anyone else on the board has played them and has a different opinion.

I'm assuming they're already on the big list but hopefully Leon will consider these for next year given that's when the remasters are coming out.

SludgeWizard wrote: September 16th, 2022, 5:00 pm
I'll definitely be picking this up at some point, but if I'm being honest, I found the trailer they showed to be pretty underwhelming. It looks like nothing has been changed at all from the first game, outside of swapping out sprites. Looks a lot more like Octopath Traveler (again) than Octopath Traveler 2, if that makes sense. And that wouldn't even bother me, but the original game had plenty a sequel could improve on.
One thing I've already seen the devs address is character interaction and how there will be more of it, so it sounds like they're taking fan feedback in at least.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

So it appears that the PSVR2 won’t be backwards compatible with PSVR.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdDrawing wrote: September 16th, 2022, 11:04 pm It's my favourite rpg series ever.
I dont want to overhype them and disappoint you so I will just say this.

They meet all the hallmarks of a great rpg - great characters, interesting story, fun battle system and excellent music. The first game is good, the second game refines and improves everything the first did.

They are absolutely worth your time and it really looks like Konami isn't half-assing this, which makes me really happy.
Sounds good, I will almost certainly check them out. Hopefully they do well and Konami sees value in putting some more old games out remastered.
Angry_Kurt wrote: September 17th, 2022, 8:21 am So it appears that the PSVR2 won’t be backwards compatible with PSVR.
I don't have a PSVR, and have no intention of buying the second one, but this would have really pissed me off. Totally on brand for Sony, and totally inexcusable. Absolutely shot themselves in the foot with this. Bizarre decision making.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Apparently it is something to do with the controllers in this new one being totally different so I guess devs could update their games for PSVR2 and provide them to players for free but I don’t know how much time and money that would take them.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

This makes me irrationally angry. This is a massive middle finger to people who bought the first PSVR.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GfPx1yAxQ0

GTA VI footage leaked. Does look potentially legit
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

confirmation from Jason Schreier that it is. It looks... fine?

--Dan
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I've only watched a little bit of the leaked footage, and while it looks clearly unfinished, it very much appears to indicate that GTA VI will be more of the same rather than the drastic reinvention that (imo) the GTA/RDR series is in desperate need of. I couldn't get into RDR2 at all as it felt so dated mechanically and the controls and overall gamefeel were so creaky.

Also curious about the (apparent)
Spoiler: show
modern day Vice City/Miami setting. That made total sense as a period 1980s setting in the original Vice City, less so in a modern context - aren't there other, more interesting cities they could do instead?
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

SludgeWizard wrote: September 16th, 2022, 5:00 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote: September 14th, 2022, 6:53 pm Octopath Traveller II was announced.
I thought it looked a bit more expansive the the first OT, in the sense that it seemingly has a world map. I enjoyed the first game, but it felt quite 'small' and lacking the scale and grandeur of a typical JRPG.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

KissMammal wrote: September 19th, 2022, 6:21 pm I've only watched a little bit of the leaked footage, and while it looks clearly unfinished, it very much appears to indicate that GTA VI will be more of the same rather than the drastic reinvention that (imo) the GTA/RDR series is in desperate need of. I couldn't get into RDR2 at all as it felt so dated mechanically and the controls and overall gamefeel were so creaky.

modern day Vice City/Miami setting. That made total sense as a period 1980s setting in the original Vice City, less so in a modern context - aren't there other, more interesting cities they could do instead?
Out of curiosity, in what ways do you think they could reinvent the franchise. I do agree it looks more of the same but I don't really have any ideas as to how you can change the formula in an open world crime game like that. I think the closest you could get is changing the setting but even then the core gameplay loop would still be the same.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

I'd love a change to the "get mission from NPC, take long journey to mission via car while NPC chats now and again" formula.

I don't mind it now and again but I'm currently playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and it ends up grating after a while.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Truk_Kurt wrote: September 20th, 2022, 9:05 am
KissMammal wrote: September 19th, 2022, 6:21 pm I've only watched a little bit of the leaked footage, and while it looks clearly unfinished, it very much appears to indicate that GTA VI will be more of the same rather than the drastic reinvention that (imo) the GTA/RDR series is in desperate need of. I couldn't get into RDR2 at all as it felt so dated mechanically and the controls and overall gamefeel were so creaky.

Out of curiosity, in what ways do you think they could reinvent the franchise. I do agree it looks more of the same but I don't really have any ideas as to how you can change the formula in an open world crime game like that. I think the closest you could get is changing the setting but even then the core gameplay loop would still be the same.
Perhaps what I'm after is a comprehensive and meaningful evolution of that formula, then. Rockstar games seem stuck in the past in a lot of ways. The three main things that spring to mind are:

1. The controls and general 'gamefeel'. This is somewhat subjective, but something that to me feels like it needs a complete overhaul. GTA games have always had passable driving and downright weak on foot and combat controls. Even in GTA 5, the gunfighting feels curiously weightless and underwhelming, and it feels like the game just spams you with endless streams of enemies to compensate for this, which in turn (for me) breaks the feeling of immersion and verisimilitude the game world creates. There's very little tension to the combat, it often just feels like a turkey shoot. I played the Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes right before picking up the new version of GTA 5 and while it's not a totally fair comparison, I couldn't help but wonder what a GTA game with controls as tight and responsive as those games would be to play. RDR2 was particularly bad in terms of controls, with its poorly thought out 'press random button to do x' prompts.

2. The mission structure. The same old scripted 'on rails' missions feel very dated and at odds with the open-ended, sandbox feel of the rest of the game. They need to change tack and allow more room for player experimentation. Embrace the emergent style of gameplay. Set the player a bunch of tasks, and let them decide how to go about accomplishing them, not funnel them down prescribed paths with no deviation allowed.

3. Maybe a controversial one, but ease off on the story. The increasing emphasis on story and narrative feels to me like a case of Rockstar not really understanding the core appeal of their product. I don't think many players would place the story in their priorities or highlights when it comes to a GTA game, and frankly I don't think the stories in Rockstar's games are anywhere near as interesting and engaging as RS seem to think they are.... Imo a GTA/RDR game only needs a barebones story to string missions together, a simple 'rise of criminal from street thug to boss'. The considerable resources spent on the story elements, the voice acting, the cut scenes etc would - imo - be much better spent on making the actual game tighter and more fun to play. This was a barrier to me getting into RDR2. The story was dull as dishwater, and overbearing to the point of obnoxiousness. I genuinely could not believe how long the intro dragged on for, almost willing the player to give up out of boredom (which I did). I just want to play an exciting cowboy/crime game, not sit through hours of boring NPC dialogue while I hold down the A button.

Very much hoping that GTA 6 will be just such a reinvention. I know all this sounds a lot easier said than done, but if anyone has the resources...
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Fair points made and I can see where you're coming from on the first two points especially. Personally though I really hope they stick with the focus on narrative but I was one of those people that loved GTA IV with how it had a more focused narrative. And with Red Dead 2, I thought whilst the game was too long, the narrative was absolutely brilliant with a couple of gut punching moments for me and the closest I have ever got to crying at a game. I think the narrative helps set the tone and atmosphere of the game world to some extent and I think what helps set GTA games apart from other open world crime sandboxes like Saints Row where I couldn't even remember a single characters name.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

https://www.eurogamer.net/voice-actress ... ary-fiasco

Pretty disgusting at what's going down. Platinum treats a voice actor like crap and Hideki Kamiya throws a temper tantrum on twitter and insults and blocks anyone who disagrees with him. What a massive douchebag.

Pay VAs what they're worth or don't use them.

If you buy Bayonetta 3, don't ever say you're for unions, because you're paying for a game that hired a scab - Jennifer Hale.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it's pretty shitty thing to do in the first place, and then (if Taylor is to be believed, which I do because why on earth would she lie about it) Kamiya is acting like a prize prick calling her a liar and denying it all. As always I'm sure there's more to it, but on a surface level, or rather armed with the only information we have, this is terrible behaviour.

EDIT: The pinned tweet from a couple of years back on Kamiya's Twitter seems to suggest he's a bit of a twat to be honest. Huh.