Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79 »

See Mi Yah wrote: February 6th, 2023, 3:19 pm So Hogwarts Legacy looks quite good. Anyone here interested in picking it up? I haven't read the books or watched the movies so I'm not the target market. Or so I thought until I caught a glimpse of the combat and exploration. Looks fun. Although I'll probably hold off for a bit and get it on sale.
I enjoyed what I read of the books around 20 years ago, and we've enjoyed the films with the kids, but I can't say I'm really interested in this game at all to be honest. Nothing to do with Rowling and her views one way or the other, I'm just fairly apathetic towards the Potter-verse.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

My dislike for Rowling probably does colour my views of the franchise at this point, but I'm not sure I would have been keen on this anyway. I loved the books as a kid, but I never dreamed of entering that world without that particular cast of characters and within that particular story. I am curious to see how being a student at the school is handled in the gameplay, though.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

See Mi Yah wrote: February 6th, 2023, 3:19 pm So Hogwarts Legacy looks quite good. Anyone here interested in picking it up? I haven't read the books or watched the movies so I'm not the target market. Or so I thought until I caught a glimpse of the combat and exploration. Looks fun. Although I'll probably hold off for a bit and get it on sale.
Whilst no super fan, I do like Harry Potter a lot as I grew up with it and was the first book series I got really into, so was hoping this was good and it looks like it is. Doubt I will be getting it day one due to playing other stuff right now but definitely at some point in the coming months.

I've seen people take issue with the lack of spells (apparently there is only 26) but I don't really see that as an issue as the older Harry Potter games only had a fraction of that.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Truk_Kurt wrote: February 7th, 2023, 9:56 am
Whilst no super fan, I do like Harry Potter a lot as I grew up with it and was the first book series I got really into, so was hoping this was good and it looks like it is. Doubt I will be getting it day one due to playing other stuff right now but definitely at some point in the coming months.

I've seen people take issue with the lack of spells (apparently there is only 26) but I don't really see that as an issue as the older Harry Potter games only had a fraction of that.
Yeah, 26 sounds like a lot to me, but in any case, the number of spells is a somewhat meaningless figure out of context
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, but 19 of those spells are variations on repairing his glasses.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Alex79 wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:34 pm Yeah, but 19 of those spells are variations on repairing his glasses.
Harry isn't even in it Alex! It's set 100 years before he's born :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Terrible Nintendo Direct absolutely redeemed by GB and GBA games finally coming to Switch! That was literally all I wanted.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There was loads I was happy about, personally (including GB and GBA stuff); Metroid Prime, Baten Kaitos, Splatoon 3 expansion, We Love Katamari, Pikmin 4 and plenty more. The opposite of terrible as far as I'm concerned.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: February 8th, 2023, 11:02 pm There was loads I was happy about, personally (including GB and GBA stuff); Metroid Prime, Baten Kaitos, Splatoon 3 expansion, We Love Katamari, Pikmin 4 and plenty more. The opposite of terrible as far as I'm concerned.
Terrible was the wrong word, more that there wasn't anything I was overly interested in, but I'd have still been happy even if all they'd shown was the Switch Online stuff and Metroid Prime.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

I thought the Direct was fantastic, for my tastes anyway!

Pikmin 4 (now with a puppy), release date for Advance Wars, new Samba de Amigo (loved the original, should work well with the joycons), Metroid Primer Remaster (shadow dropped!), Gameboy/GBA games on Switch Online, new Prof Layton (lovely surprise), Ghost Trick/Baten Katos remasters (again, loved the originals) and Zelda looks typically great.

Not a ton of new stuff but every remaster was something I loved back in the day and I'm on a nostalgia kick at the moment so yeah, great stuff.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I thought it was decent because there were a few things I was interested in, however it did seem largely focused on the old rather than anything new. Was pleased to see more of what kind of gameplay we can expect in Zelda.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I thought the direct was decent but it was a bit odd for me. There was a lot of things I was almost but not quite interested in.

Xenoblade 3 burned me out even though I enjoyed it, so I have no appetite for an expansion. I enjoy rhythm games but Samba de Amigo never quite hit for me. I really like Ghost Trick, but I'm happy for it to stay on my DS. Splatoon single player content doesn't massively interest me even though I regularly play online. I, uh, started We Love Katamari a while ago on SteamDeck through 'methods' having already played the PS2 version, its still loads of fun and a good step up from the original. I think I need new Advance Wars to excite me not just remakes. I've been playing the 6 Layton games over the past few years so I'm not necessarily looking to jump into another.

I've only heard of Baten Kaitos a few times before and never played it, so that could be interesting.

I'm worried that a lot of the Tears of the Kingdom map will be BOTW's Hyrule but just altered a bit. I would have liked a full new land to explore.
FrittteShopClerk

Post by FrittteShopClerk »

Come on guys, we all really want Fashion Maker yeah?
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I really liked it, but it's definitely fair to complain that there was almost nothing really new in it.

The Metroid Prime remaster looks unbelievably good, like, if you told me it was an original Switch release, I'd totally believe it. If Baten Kaitos is half as good I'll be thrilled.

GBA games are apparently what it takes to get me to pony up an extra $30 a year for the NSO expansion.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JadePhoenix wrote: February 10th, 2023, 5:11 pmGBA games are apparently what it takes to get me to pony up an extra $30 a year for the NSO expansion.
Are the GBA games expansion subscription only? I didn't realise that, not sure if they mentioned it in the Direct. I do have the expansion, but I'd assumed they were just standard tier.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Just seen the Nintendo Direct now. Pikmin 4 looks fantastic, the puppy looks like a great addition and it is just so gorgeous to look at. There was a lot of remasters though. But Ghost Trick was a real gem on the DS so it is great if it gets more exposure. Also We Love Katamari is easily in my top 5 PS2 games so wonderful that is making a comeback. Always nicer to see more of new Zelda as well.

Not really in a position to get a Switch but the library it has really does make it tempting.
RinseWashRepeat

Post by RinseWashRepeat »

Alex79 wrote: February 10th, 2023, 5:43 pm Are the GBA games expansion subscription only?
Yep. GBA is expansion pass only. I went and forked out the extra. Will deffo see how they go at releasing titles this year. The N64 library is still painfully slow at getting new titles. Might just end up getting some ROMS onto my phone at this rate... ;)
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

FYI guys, Quantum Break is being removed from Game Pass, and I've heard it's also being delisted from digital storefronts due to expiring licenses.

Game's very cheap physical, and was one of the best Microsoft exclusives of the previous gen. Might wanna pick up a copy before it goes up in price.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've had that on my 'play some time' list for ages. Wonder if I can get through it before it leaves. I don't really understand why MS exclusives are being removed from Gamepass though. I get licenses expire for stuff like Forza (which I think is horseshit, given we now live in an age where games can potentially be live for 10/15 years there's no reason licenses couldn't be in place for as long as a game exists) but other stuff actually published by MS like Quantum Break, I don't get why they'd remove it. There are a few other games that should seemingly be on Gamepass and aren't, too.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

https://www.trueachievements.com/n53403 ... sing-issue

It's not always possible to negotiate a permanent license for music tracks or image rights, to name two examples.

I'd recommend folks just buy the game now, while it's the price of a pint.