Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Truk_Kurt

Re: Videogame News

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Now that you don't need Gold or PS+ to play free to play games, is there any reason Devs would not just release the multiplayer portion of their games as a separate free to play mode to increase the userbase?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 10:21 am Now that you don't need Gold or PS+ to play free to play games, is there any reason Devs would not just release the multiplayer portion of their games as a separate free to play mode to increase the userbase?
You never did need PS+ to play free to play games online, but I guess the reason is it would still likely harm sales of the full product. I expect some might try it though, to test the water and see if it brings in more cash long term.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The main beneficiary here is Epic of course with Fortnite.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm fairly surprised GTA Online has never gone free to play, to be honest.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I think they said it will be when it gets released on PS5/Series X
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Truk_Kurt wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:55 am I think they said it will be when it gets released on PS5/Series X
Or maybe it will be for a limited time?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just in time for the next CaR issue, a new Turtles brawler has been announced! This looks great, can't wait!

And somewhat bizarrely, Mike Patton is singing the theme tune... *shrug* Awesome, I guess! :lol:

Miririn

Post by Miririn »

I am so excited for "Project Athia" (or "Forspoken" I guess we can now call it!)

It looks flipping beautiful.
https://youtu.be/J_3fndPnBmQ
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Miririn wrote: March 18th, 2021, 5:54 pm I am so excited for "Project Athia" (or "Forspoken" I guess we can now call it!)

It looks flipping beautiful.
https://youtu.be/J_3fndPnBmQ
That looks cool, looks stunning visually.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

PS3 Store shutting down (Vita and PSP as well).

https://www.gamesradar.com/sony-reporte ... in-august/

I got my PS3 because it seemed like the easiest way to play older games, the PS1 jrpgs like Xenogears and Dragoon that I missed, and even a few PS2 games that passed me by, like Mark of Kri.

I wouldn't be so annoyed if there we better backwards compatibility. I see some people arguing that this is an example of why physical is better, but how much do physical copies of some of these exclusives cost, plus needed hardware that plays it. Xenogears is $10 on the digital store, $50 on ebay.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Not happy about this. A lot of digital only content now just made inaccessible. The ending to Asura's Wrath, the entirety of Drakengard 3 (in EU at least) and its DLC, a bunch of smaller indie games, etc. The PS3 isn't even that old, and the Vita is even newer. And it's hardly as if Sony is forced to do this through closing down either. The things that we were always warned about are coming.

It'll likely push up the prices of physical versions of a lot of games too, with stuff that had only a limited print run. Asura's Wrath is probably another example of that too.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

As a relatively new gamer, one thing that makes me sad about games is the difficulty in accessing so many older classics due to a lack of backwards compatibility. Especially when compared to films and books, where I have a whole backlog of thousands of classics at my fingertips. So the PS3 and Vita news made me sad despite not having owned either console.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I'm most annoyed about the Vita as I still use mine quite regularly. I even bought 3 games last year which were released on Vita last year and this year I've bought Steamworld Dig 2 on it. I follow the Vita community on Twitter quite closely and there are new releases every week in Japan and was under the impression that they sell well. I hope the backlash causes them to reverse their decision.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Scrustle wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 6:29 pm Not happy about this. A lot of digital only content now just made inaccessible. The ending to Asura's Wrath, the entirety of Drakengard 3 (in EU at least) and its DLC, a bunch of smaller indie games, etc. The PS3 isn't even that old, and the Vita is even newer. And it's hardly as if Sony is forced to do this through closing down either. The things that we were always warned about are coming.

It'll likely push up the prices of physical versions of a lot of games too, with stuff that had only a limited print run. Asura's Wrath is probably another example of that too.
Yes I’m gutted. I bought the drakengard DLC last night in fact. The thing that makes me nervous is that they keep mentioning the PSP store closing but that closed a while ago. I haven’t seen any confirmation that we will still be able to access our libraries on these consoles although I am assuming that we must still have access.

I spent a few hours going through the Vita store to see what I needed to buy now. I noticed that a lot of things in my download list are not actually on the store any more. It seems they’ve slowly removed things over the years e.g Danganronpa games. Fortunately I bought them back on release.

I’ll boot up my PS3 this weekend and buy/download any DLC for any games I plan on playing in the future. It’s hard to know now though.

PS Now does offer a lot of games which are digital only on PS3 but sometimes lack DLC for example. It’s the first time I’ve properly felt worried about a digital service ending. I’m also thinking about network passes or bonus DLC with physical games. Will these still be obtainable? A bit cross and sad right now.
BlueWeaselBreath

Post by BlueWeaselBreath »

Has anyone seen this Kickstarter for a new Little Nemo game? I used to love the NES game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/li ... are-fiends

I love the way they’ve drawn from the original comic strip. I’ve been following this game from when it was first announced last year, and they've clearly put lots of love and attention into both the game and the campaign itself. They’ve been doing lots of historical updates on Winsor McCay, the artist of the original strip. They’ve even brought in a diverse creative team to create a new character (a female PoC) to replace one that was an early 20th century racist caricature.

But these guys are in trouble. The campaign started off strong but petered out and seems to have stalled completely in the home stretch. Part of it is that they’ve done their own marketing and may not have had the breadth of coverage that they really needed.

I hope the campaign hits a second wind! Only a bit over a week to go.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'm disappointed with the closing down of the PS3 and Vita stores, too. As everyone else has said, so many games will be lost to time for good. There must be a better way of preserving video games. It's genuinely saddening.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I had a thought earlier that I remembered being excited that they were doing a remake of cell shaded FPS, XIII last year, but then never hearing any more about it.

I looked it up, wondering whatever happened to it, and realised it did actually come out, only it reviewed terribly with some hype-addicts describing it as 'the worst game ever made'. Clearly its not that, but the scores were pretty damning.

Shame, I'd been looking forward to that! Anyone here play it at all?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It is, according to every account, utterly terrible.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, shame. Mind you all the original needed was a bit of spit and polish. I replayed a decent chuck of the original on Gamecube a couple of years ago and it was still a lot of fun to play, but those visuals really did add a couple of points to the overall score, so striking at the time.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Just played it last year, didn't realize the game had a remake coming at the time. A lot of it was dated and some of the voice acting was ROUGH, but the graphics still looked cool. And, from what I've read, the graphics are the one thing they actually changed! People are crazy!