Alien: Isolation

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by DomsBeard »

Superb 2+ hour session tonight, I'm on chapter 10 now and I can't fault it now really.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Well I can fault it now.

The one annoying thing in this game is the fact you have no idea if any humans are friendly/enemies till it's too late. After escaping Alan I walked into a room very similar to one I'd gone into earlier with friendlies and noticed a woman to my left and walked towards her. She that proceeded to shoot me in the face. Very very luckily I'd just backtracked a bit and saved it otherwise I'd have had to have gone back about 30 minutes.

I've not found the save points to be too sparse so far in my opinion as I've noticed it's something it's been criticised for here and there.

The further I'm in the more it reminds me of Dead Space. It was one of my favourite games last gen but my only criticism was the fact Isaac seemed to be ordered around to do everything for everyone and it might go the same way here.

It's still superb though
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Had a fallout with it tonight and think I'm going to have a break for a bit. I'm on chapter ten and I've got to leave one room, flick a switch a few rooms away then come back to said room.

Alan has killed me around twenty times in quick succession. He appears in every room without fail and has managed to find me in every locker I've hid in even when he's appeared several rooms away. He's appeared as I was saving after returning to the original room and killed me before it has completed. Dropped from a ceiling in front of me in said save area. I've got one Molotov to scare him off but when he's appearing every 5 seconds it's irrelevant as it scares him off once. It just feels unfair rather than me messing up and it'll be luck when I do get to the save point. Shame (but then I'm playing on hard)

Anyone else have this issue?
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

That bad section I had a while back sounds similar, although it was much earlier in the game. I just hit a spot where I felt like I had a massive arrow over my head, and had no idea where Alan was and couldn't get a handle on tracking him.

This was after a section of successful evasion and feeling like the balance was perfect.

I've not played for a few days, but going to try and get some time this week to get back into it. I think breaks seem to be a good idea for this one.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Came back to it today as I couldn't keep away and did it second time round but as predicted it was luck as Alan never showed where he had previously (mind you I did lob a few flares about so that might've helped)
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Let me know when you get to Chapter 14 (or more particularly half way through) and then we can discuss frustration.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Will do ;)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just down the road for me so might pop down:

http://www.leedsfilm.com/films/alien-film-game-event/
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Nice!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'll ask them why Alan is such a prick in chapter 10 ;)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

The powers that be must have decided that I need to take a break from AI! I get to the end of mission 10 and it crashes. Some online suggesting could be the new Nvidia driver, so I suspect a patch might appear this week. Very annoying, but it has been a game I've played in small chunks, so a few days off is okay - but it should be my choice really!
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I think I'm going to throw in the towel as Isolation isn't doing anything for me.

I'm not far in at all but I'm just so terrible at it that I'm finding it really hard to come back to. What makes it worse is that I've not even got as far as the alien appearing yet, and I know when it does I'm going to struggle even more.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The start is terrible and I can see where you are coming from but if you can stick with it till Alan gets involved.

It's a funny one as for the majority it's probably my GOTY but at the same time I nearly took it out of my PS4 and snapped it in half the other day in a rage.

If you can stick with it till you have to go get a code for a doctor.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So Chapter 10
Spoiler: show
mother F***ers blow me out to space with Alan, how dare they!!!
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

DomsBeard wrote:The start is terrible and I can see where you are coming from but if you can stick with it till Alan gets involved.

It's a funny one as for the majority it's probably my GOTY but at the same time I nearly took it out of my PS4 and snapped it in half the other day in a rage.

If you can stick with it till you have to go get a code for a doctor.
Ok, I'll trust ya, I'll jump back on it this evening and give it another chance.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Nope, I tried, most definitely not for me :-(
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So where have you got up to?
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

DomsBeard wrote:So Chapter 10
Spoiler: show
mother F***ers blow me out to space with Alan, how dare they!!!
Lol. Did you find that chapter quite long?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah still not finished it, I've got to what must be the end and I was hiding under the floor as Alan was patrolling above where the exit is he then went up into the vents so I decided to make my move.

He had in fact gone downwards any got me from behind ala Dallas :(
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

DomsBeard wrote:So where have you got up to?
The alien has shown up, but I just haven't had a bit of fun playing it. I can see why people would like it, but it's just not for me and I can't force myself to keep going back while I've other games I'd rather be playing. Shame.