The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Leave us feedback and offer us your own submissions.
Ash

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Ash » August 23rd, 2019, 8:24 pm

Bring back operating system music!

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso » August 23rd, 2019, 8:54 pm

Fighting Chance by Chipzel from Dicey Dungeons

Just a lovely jazzy chiptune piece.

Suits

Post by Suits » August 27th, 2019, 10:41 am

Motohiro Kawashima has uploaded the Cherry Hunter trailer music to his soundcloud.

This is rad.

Techno 90’s banging beats.

I’m sooooooooo up for SoR4 if this is the direction its taking., which it seems.

https://soundcloud.com/dotemu-games/mot ... rage-4-ost

macstat

Post by macstat » August 31st, 2019, 8:52 am

When my 8 year old niece visited me this summer we spent countless hours playing Rayman Legends. It was a nice bonding experience, not only cause we enjoyed the game but also we enjoyed its music a lot.
This time im going to submit two tracks from 20,000 Lums Under the Sea world.

First track, The Spy Who Kicked Me is very fitting for spy-themed level.

Second one, Laser Mayhem is much faster and very stylistic. Both the level and the track are inspired by the Laser scene from Oceans Twelve.

Good times :)

Rxanadu

Post by Rxanadu » September 6th, 2019, 10:58 pm

It's refreshing to hear a rap song in a game, let alone as the boss music for the final boss of a DLC expansion.

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes already had an unnecessarily great soundtrack - especially for a game which originally released on the Nintendo Switch. It's even more impressive the expansion this song comes from has some of the best music in the entire game when you realize said expansion is basically a series of fignting arenas with a time limit attached.

However, it took me by complete surprise when I discovered the final boss' music wasn't some hard rock ballad, a symphonic piece, or even a grunge song but a rap song with Japanese lyrics talking about how the boss doesn't want to be in their position in life.

This song - along with the final boss theme for CrossCode - really makes me wish more game composers were comfortable using other music genres in their soundtracks to emphasize tense or dramatic moments.

Rxanadu

Post by Rxanadu » September 6th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Not sure if this was ever suggested, but this song was apparently the original title screen music for the Japanese version of Dragon's Dogma. As you can possibly hear, this song goes full anime fast. It's unnecessarily high energy for what is basically Japanese Skyrim with a hint of Shadow of Colossus enemy climbing involved.

...but, it's amazing, nonetheless.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 8th, 2019, 3:14 pm

It was on the original western releases too, but they didn’t have the licence to keep it around for the dark arisen re-release.

Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate » September 10th, 2019, 1:37 pm

EDIT: Links now embedding properly it seems, I’m just a little out of practice!

This music stood out to me right after I completed the Fyke Island quest. No spoilers, but you should not skip that side quest. There are a few moments in the game where the Horror of Velen is perfectly communicated to the player and these moments are the ones that made the game for me. Without these moments the Witcher 3 is just an ok RPG with a strictly middling-to-bad mechanics.

Between White Orchard and Velen though, assuming you’re paying attention, the developers have combined the real historical horror of medieval times with the fantasy horror of the Witcher.

The track by itself is good, it sounds sort of distantly sorrowful to me. However the first moment it really hit me was in an empty place that was better off empty compared to what it housed before, all because of the tragic cruelty of the world the game is set in.

I think this one is called Spitfire Bluff (Day) by

There is a second a very similar track. To me the night version sounds more like a warning while the day version is more contemplative.

I believe this song may be called Spitfire Bluff (Night) by Martin Przybylowicz

I thought the Witcher 3’s soundtrack was decent but it really picks up in the DLC. This track eventually sounds like the background music for cavalry reinforcements riding hard toward a battle that they’re already winning or something. It actually just plays during card games.

This is The Mandragora by Martin Przybylowicz

Until I played further into the game I didn’t realize this awesome menu music was DLC music. I think few tracks are more thematic for the game as a whole.

The strings, when they arrive, almost prowl or stalk toward the listener. Around the time you expect they arrive, percussion reinforces them, and vocals command them all. There’s a bit of a break, which feels like a lot of the city segments of the game which are soft and safe, but then the monsters return.

On the soundtrack this is called Blood and Wine by Martin Przybylowicz

Stalkedbycats

Post by Stalkedbycats » September 11th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Susumu Hirasawa is pretty damn good. More videogames should be scored by him.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » September 12th, 2019, 10:14 am

I’d like to request a piece of music from one of my favourite games Tex Murphy and the Pandora Directive. Admittedly the graphics, gameplay and acting are incredibly dated but I still love it.

For those who have never heard of it’s a 90s FMV adventure game featuring Tex Murphy a P.I channeling his inner Harrison Ford. The plot is equal parts X-Files, Indiana Jones and low budget soap opera set in a Blade Runner inspired world. The game is revered in Adventure Game circles making number 9 on the Adventure Gamer top 100 adventure games of all time list:

1.Grim Fandango
2.The Longest Journey
3.Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
4.Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
5.Riven
6.Day of the Tentacle
7.The Last Express
8.Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
9.Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
10.Portal 2
11.Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
12.Zork Grand Inquisitor
13.King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
14.The Secret of Monkey Island

Most notably it is ranked higher than many of the genre darlings such as secret of monkey island. Obviously any list is subjective but I hope it highlights that I’m not on my own in my love for the game.

I first stumbled across it on a PC Zone demo disc which had an interactive demo. I say interactive it basically had 2 icons you could click on. One was a trailer for the game and the other was the song I’m going to request. The vocalist on the track is Richie Havens of Woodstock fame and is very much like the game, sublime.

I’ve waffled enough. For your listening pleasure. Tex’s Lament by Richie Havens.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/PZ7q5I6WGTo[/youtube]

Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate » September 13th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 10:14 am

I believe I have made the link work in the above post.

On that same note I am re-suggesting a song I suggested years ago but I posted the link wrong.

I love the song “Arsenal” from Phantom Dust and shared more about it in the past (you don’t have to look it up). It’s a delightful track and captures much about the game.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » September 13th, 2019, 8:04 pm

:) Thank you! Very kind