Shameless Self Promotion

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Alex79uk

Re: Shameless Self Promotion

Post by Alex79uk » June 3rd, 2019, 6:28 pm

Nice! Pointless me entering though, as much to my regret I don't currently own a turntable and have a stack of vinyl that has been begging me to play it again for years :(

Anyway, since this is a shameless plug thread, I thought I'd post a band video from a festival we played last weekend. First gig with the new singer.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 3rd, 2019, 3:34 am

The dude abides :)

Posting this before I sober up and think better of it. A light tugging of Kate Bush's pigtails.

Don't Kill The Horses (You Did)

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 3rd, 2019, 6:55 am

clippa wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 3:34 am
The dude abides :)

Posting this before I sober up and think better of it. A light tugging of Kate Bush's pigtails.

Don't Kill The Horses (You Did)
I like this! Have you done other stuff? What is your role in this? Production etc?

clippa

Post by clippa » July 3rd, 2019, 9:02 am

I suppose I can't delete it now.
I did everything/nothing. Delete as applicable.

I used to fanny about making tunes for fun when I was younger and then I just stopped for ages.
I've got other mp3s but they vary in quality from barely listenable to embarrassingly awful.

I started trying to get back into it earlier this year as it's good for the old noggin being creative, even if you're not particularly happy with the end results, but I got sidetracked again.

Last night was crazy night, my last night on the wally juice. I'm quitting smoking and even going on a diet! We'll see how long it all lasts, but I've got a good feeling about it. Feels like I'm ready, a big change is coming.

Thanks man, that'll probably spur me on to give it another go when I've got time. I'm making a list of things to keep me sane and it's going near the top of the list!

clippa

Post by clippa » July 16th, 2019, 11:40 pm

2 weeks sober! Get in!
Celebrating with half a bottle of white rum.
Shut up, I know what I'm doing.

Burn, Baby, Burn

ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer » July 18th, 2019, 5:06 pm

I've already posted above about my short stories on Archive Of Our Own - for those who aren't Critical Role fans (which make up the bulk of my works there), I've just uploaded something that is much more on the spy drama genre and with no direct links to any existing works (except for one esoteric shout out ...)

I'd welcome any thoughts on the style or the content - trying out something new

https://archiveofourown.org/works/19860643

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » July 19th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Side question: if I wanted to start watching critical role, should I just go right from the beginning, or is there a ‘here is a good place to start because the format is more nailed down and it’s more representative’. ?

ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer » July 19th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Honestly, I'd start from the beginning of campaign one - at least part of the appeal of CR is the interaction in - and out - of character by the cast and how that develops. You can skip most the end of the early episodes when they move over to opening gifts/letters from fans or that ended as dance parties and can also skip episode 12 entirely.
Go into this accepting that there is a lot of content to go through - each episode is 3-5 hours long so it is a time commitment but one that I think is worth making

To note, I started watching several months in and have only been watching two-three episodes a week so I'm routinely behind - I have been catching up slowly and I accept that spoilers are a thing

All worth it ...

Kacey

Post by Kacey » August 2nd, 2019, 7:25 pm

I reviewed OutRun 2- a game I consider to be the perfect sequel to the original. I'm really proud of this video and I think I made some thought provoking points about the challenges facing reboots and what makes OutRun 2 so good. I'd appreciate if some of y'all would give it a look

Ray

Post by Ray » August 3rd, 2019, 2:52 am

I took a look, but stopped watching after the 3rd ad in first less than ten minutes (around one ad per 3 minutes, no thanks). Anyway, what I managed to see was not bad at all. I felt the quick cuts (near the beginning, where you talk about other games) are too fast / abrupt.

clippa

Post by clippa » August 3rd, 2019, 3:41 am

Yeah, I've got adblock enabled but I only got halfway through too. It feels like you're just dryly relaying facts. You've clearly done your research but it doesn't feel like you've found your voice.
It's tight and focused, but I'd much rather hear you relaxed, waxing lyrical or joking around than just giving me a history lesson. I didn't find it entertaining, I'm sure you'd rather I was honest than just giving you an empty slap on the back.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » August 3rd, 2019, 9:31 am

I’m on the opposite side of the fence to clippa. I think YouTube has enough opinion to last a lifetime so some objectivity and history is more than welcome.

I do agree that the quick cuts at the beginning were a bit too quick and personally turning your enthusiasm up a fraction would make it more likely to come back for your next vid.

I enjoyed it overall though and let me know when your next one is out.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » August 3rd, 2019, 9:48 am

I’m guessing clippa doesn’t listen to our podcasts.
😆

clippa

Post by clippa » August 3rd, 2019, 1:36 pm

Haha! I'm glad people are disagreeing because it wasn't an easy thing to say. I could see that it was good and a lot of effort had been put into it, but it didn't hold my attention. Maybe I just wasn't that interested in the game. As much as I like outrun, there's not a lot to say about it. It's intentionally light and short, breezy and hollow. It's amazing, but once you've covered the drifting, there's not a lot else to talk about.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » August 3rd, 2019, 1:38 pm

clippa wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 1:36 pm
As much as I like outrun, there's not a lot to say about it.
Ha, you definitely don’t listen to our podcasts.

clippa

Post by clippa » August 3rd, 2019, 1:50 pm

Hehe, I do sometimes. I tend to listen to comedy podcasts mostly, but I listened to that one about those shooty games I like and that one about nex machina. They were really good!
I suppose that's the thing, I wasn't that interested in hearing about outrun 2, playing it, yeah, definitely, but it doesn't matter how entertaining you are or how good your video is, I was gonna get restless regardless.
So yeah, Kacey, bear that in mind. I'll have a sniff around your channel, madam, and see if you've done anything about space invaders or spelunky and report back.

Suits

Post by Suits » August 3rd, 2019, 2:02 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 9:48 am
Ooofff, check Leon with the pre-season boot to the dick 😄.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » August 3rd, 2019, 2:17 pm

I’m only pulling plonkers.
😆

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » August 3rd, 2019, 2:51 pm

Suits wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 2:02 pm
ratsoalbion wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 9:48 am
Ooofff, check Leon with the pre-season boot to the dick 😄.
The real season has already started ;)

Suits

Post by Suits » August 3rd, 2019, 3:01 pm

It did, - hell of a game that Luton Boro game 😳.