Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 3183
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 6:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Flabyo » November 23rd, 2019, 3:25 pm

So a while back I went on a bit of an eBay spree to pick up a bunch of Megadrive games I wanted to play. You know, the usual stuff, Street of Rage, Desert Strike, Road Rash, Sonic etc...

Now I’m not a collector, so most of what I picked up were loose carts, usually bundled along with 3 or 4 other games on the cheap. Most of those extras got dumped into a cardboard box that ‘I’ll get to at some point’.

Well I’ve decided to start working my way through it. I’m going to give each one I try at least half an hour of my time, the vast majority I’ve done no more than just check they boot up, so it should be a ‘fun’ time. I’ll post my impressions of them as I go.

I know some of what is in there are absolute stinkers, but there’s a lot there I’ve not ever really read much about.

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2675
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Suits » November 23rd, 2019, 4:25 pm

I love doing this, I find it so interesting.

User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 3183
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 6:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Flabyo » November 23rd, 2019, 5:17 pm

I’ll start off my own thread for it over in off topic. It’ll mostly be the same things I’m saying on twitter, but it’ll be fun to write it all down even if no one else ever reads any of it.

User avatar
Michiel K
Moderator
Posts: 1005
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Michiel K » December 3rd, 2019, 6:47 pm

Hit up a retro gaming covention all up in the north of the Netherlands, with only my 11 y.o. daughter as (pleasant) company and these games from 'the want list' is what I came back with.

Image

So we've got...

- World of Illusion (MD): That completes the SEGA developed Mickey & Donald games for Mega Drive in my collection.

- Another World (MD): Played the SNES version, back in the days, but as far as consoles are concerned, this game feels more at home on the Mega Drive.

- The Addams Family (SNES): Good memories of visuals and music with this game. These Ocean developed licensed platformers always seem to get a bit of a bad rep, but I rather enjoy them. Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt is the better game out of the two, but this one isn't bad either and has interesting non-linear design.

- U.N. Squadron (SNES): Was missing from my collection for far too long. Looking forward to spend more time with it.

- Zombies (SNES): A.K.A. Zombies Ate My Neighbors! The only thing stopping me from buying this one in the past was its steep price, but I got this one for a fraction of what it normally goes for.

- Silent Hill 3 (PS2): Another hole in my PS2 library of games filled. Looking forward to playing this whole series for real for real at some point.

- GrimGrimoire (PS2): Very hard to find Vanillaware developed RTS that I've been looking for for quite some time.

- Amped (Xbox): Got this for 2 euros and was always curious about these games, having enjoyed games like 1080 and SSX before. My boy is into snowboarding games as well.

- Mario Power Tennis (GC): Not the most common Gamecube game, interestingly enough. Well, not as common as many a Gamecube shovelware title you come across at these conventions. Usually goes for 40 and up and I got it for quite a bit less and in good condition.

User avatar
BaileyBoy
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: December 13th, 2015, 9:37 am

Re: Retro gaming

Post by BaileyBoy » December 4th, 2019, 10:23 am

Nice haul! It's surprising what you can find at these things, you'd expect the sellers to be fully aware of an item's value but there are always bargains to be found.

GrimGrimoire is a nice find, loved that game. Incidentally I've just been looking at Vanillaware's new RTS game, 13 Sentinels which has just released in Japan and on it's way over here in 2020. Looks great but very different from their usual fare.

User avatar
Michiel K
Moderator
Posts: 1005
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Michiel K » December 4th, 2019, 10:55 am

Right! The Zombies thing especially surprised me, as there were booths left and right of that seller that had priced it for quite a bit more.

13 Sentinels, eh? That went under my radar up unitil now. Thanks for hipping me to that!

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2675
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Suits » December 4th, 2019, 11:30 am

Hardly incredible but I once got a complete Wonder Boy 3: Dragons Trap on the Master System for £3.50 at a games fair - then sent my loose cart off to MK !!

That’s probably my biggest margin find, they must have missed a zero off the end of the label.

Nice haul Micheal - not enough Game Boy.

User avatar
Michiel K
Moderator
Posts: 1005
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Michiel K » December 4th, 2019, 12:21 pm

My manz, I don't have a Game Boy. Was eying some Castlevania games for the GBA, but they were damn expensive.

Yeah, very happy with that Dragon's Trap cart. :lol:

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2675
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Suits » December 4th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Michiel K wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 12:21 pm
My manz, I don't have a Game Boy. Was eying some Castlevania games for the GBA, but they were damn expensive.
Dafuq - How !?!

I can send you/or put one together for you if you ever need one.

I have every GB Castlevania game - BOXED 😍.

User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 3183
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 6:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Flabyo » December 4th, 2019, 12:58 pm

I’ve probably mentioned it before, but my best is probably the PS1 copy of Symphony of the Night that I have, with the artbook and soundtrack disc, that I got for 16 quid from a game station second hand bin. Now it’s not really a retro find, cause I bought it while the PS1 was still the main live platform, but the price appreciation amuses me still.

I guess my best actual retro buy is probably still finding Pier Solar for the Megadrive for something approaching a normal price, but does that even count as retro?

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2675
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Suits » December 4th, 2019, 1:42 pm

SotN for anything under £200 now is a bargain 😄.

Yeah, that’s a great piece to have, especially with the book.

User avatar
Michiel K
Moderator
Posts: 1005
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Michiel K » December 4th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Suits wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 12:34 pm
I can send you/or put one together for you if you ever need one.
Tempting and I really appreciate it, but I'll pass. :lol: Don't want to fall into that collecting rabbit hole as well and to tell you the truth, I'm more of a big screen person anyway. Only times I ever play handheld is on trips or long commutes, so I'm good with having some of the GB essentials as VC downloads on my 3DS.

User avatar
BaileyBoy
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: December 13th, 2015, 9:37 am

Re: Retro gaming

Post by BaileyBoy » December 4th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Michiel K wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:47 pm
Suits wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 12:34 pm
I can send you/or put one together for you if you ever need one.
Tempting and I really appreciate it, but I'll pass. :lol: Don't want to fall into that collecting rabbit hole as well and to tell you the truth, I'm more of a big screen person anyway. Only times I ever play handheld is on trips or long commutes, so I'm good with having some of the GB essentials as VC downloads on my 3DS.
What I'm hearing is that you're a man in need of the GameCube Gameboy player!

User avatar
Michiel K
Moderator
Posts: 1005
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Michiel K » December 4th, 2019, 8:01 pm

That's certainly something that would enrich my life!

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2675
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Suits » December 4th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Michiel K wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:47 pm
Tempting and I really appreciate it, but I'll pass.
I can’t stinking give um away :lol: !!

User avatar
Michiel K
Moderator
Posts: 1005
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Michiel K » December 4th, 2019, 10:01 pm

LOL

User avatar
KSubzero1000
Member
Posts: 2852
Joined: August 26th, 2015, 7:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Retro gaming

Post by KSubzero1000 » December 5th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Had a bit of a retro shopping spree over the past few weeks.

Resident Evil Zero, Remake, RE2 & RE3 (all GC US versions)
A couple of sweet RE4 bonus / demo discs that I was missing until now. :heart:
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC, US version) :heart: (FINALLY)
Battalion Wars (GC)
Battalion Wars 2 (Wii)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (WiiU)
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Super Famicom, boxed) :heart:
Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (GBA, US version) :heart:
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror (GBA, JPN version)
Gunstar Future Heroes (GBA)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
Iridion 2 (GBA)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary (GBA, US version)
Need For Speed: Underground 2 (Xbox) (I was tempted to buy it again and Scrustle's posts sealed the deal for me.)
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Xbox) (One of the few games I regret parting with, that mistake has now been rectified.)

Plus a neat region-free chipped GameCube :heart: and a modded Game Boy Advance with a marvelous IPS screen :heart: .


And some new stuff as well:

Judgment (PS4)
Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Death Stranding (PS4) (Let's goooooo)
Plus Left Alive (PS4) for a quick laugh. :lol:

BaileyBoy wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Just picked up my first pro crt monitor.
Nice one! I've been considering grabbing a CRT myself recently. Only problem is that I probably wouldn't have enough space to store it in. Please do post those pics! :P

User avatar
Michiel K
Moderator
Posts: 1005
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Michiel K » December 6th, 2019, 7:37 am

Fat scores, KSub! And good luck on the CRT deliberating/hunting.

User avatar
hazeredmist
Member
Posts: 1454
Joined: June 25th, 2013, 10:45 am
Location: The DMZ
Contact:

Re: Retro gaming

Post by hazeredmist » December 6th, 2019, 8:18 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 10:25 pm
Had a bit of a retro shopping spree over the past few weeks.

Resident Evil Zero, Remake, RE2 & RE3 (all GC US versions)
A couple of sweet RE4 bonus / demo discs that I was missing until now. :heart:
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC, US version) :heart: (FINALLY)
Battalion Wars (GC)
Battalion Wars 2 (Wii)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (WiiU)
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Super Famicom, boxed) :heart:
Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (GBA, US version) :heart:
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror (GBA, JPN version)
Gunstar Future Heroes (GBA)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
Iridion 2 (GBA)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary (GBA, US version)
Need For Speed: Underground 2 (Xbox) (I was tempted to buy it again and Scrustle's posts sealed the deal for me.)
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Xbox) (One of the few games I regret parting with, that mistake has now been rectified.)

Plus a neat region-free chipped GameCube :heart: and a modded Game Boy Advance with a marvelous IPS screen :heart: .


And some new stuff as well:

Judgment (PS4)
Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Death Stranding (PS4) (Let's goooooo)
Plus Left Alive (PS4) for a quick laugh. :lol:

BaileyBoy wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Just picked up my first pro crt monitor.
Nice one! I've been considering grabbing a CRT myself recently. Only problem is that I probably wouldn't have enough space to store it in. Please do post those pics! :P
Ksub, you ask for pics but damn, post some pics of your sweet haul! Particularly the GBA :P

User avatar
Chopper
Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: April 16th, 2013, 4:35 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Chopper » December 6th, 2019, 10:36 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 10:25 pm
And some new stuff as well:

Judgment (PS4)
Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Death Stranding (PS4) (Let's goooooo)
Plus Left Alive (PS4) for a quick laugh. :lol:
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Flabyo and 14 guests