Fallout: New Vegas – Cane and Rinse 246

Archive for issues 201 - 250
JaySevenZero
Admin

Fallout: New Vegas – Cane and Rinse 246

Post by JaySevenZero » November 6th, 2016, 5:14 pm

"It's... a thing. A science thing. It hurts robots."

Honest hearts Josh, Sean and James take a long journey down the lonesome road towards Obsidian’s Fallout: New Vegas. Will the bright lights of the big city still dazzle in this post-apocalyptic wasteland, or will they be dulled by old world blues?

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: In the Shadow of the Valley by the Lost Weekend Western Swing Band
Track 2: (I've Got Spurs That) Jingle Jangle Jingle by Gene Autry

Cane and Rinse 246 was edited by Ryan Hamann.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Xavier Desmond

Re: Fallout: New Vegas – Cane and Rinse 246

Post by Xavier Desmond » November 6th, 2016, 8:07 pm

Interesting that the central conflict of this game was between an imperfect, bureaucratic establishment and a brutal, inhumane fascist group.

Great timing as always guys.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 6th, 2016, 8:18 pm

Xavier Desmond wrote:Interesting that the central conflict of this game was between an imperfect, bureaucratic establishment and a brutal, inhumane fascist group.

:lol:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » November 6th, 2016, 9:36 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
Xavier Desmond wrote:Interesting that the central conflict of this game was between an imperfect, bureaucratic establishment and a brutal, inhumane fascist group.

:lol:
"Wait, what's so funny about th...OOOH Okay, right, of course!"

Todinho

Post by Todinho » November 8th, 2016, 12:30 am

Heard the podcast,bit of a shame that you guys kinda had to rush through it to meet the podcast 2h limit,I dont wanna sound like an ungreatfull git but for games for the amount of content and talking points people have like New Vegas the time limit could be bended a little bit maybe,not to say you guys didnt do a great job in the time you had or that you would've have to go bit by bit of the story but I think podcasts like these would flow alot better without the time limit I mean I often catch myself listening to the issues of Bioshock and Peace Walker and there's just no way you guys could've covered those as well as you did if you had the 2h limit then.

On to the issue itself I think the perception people have that New Vegas gives more options to the player is totally true,for example you can defeat the final boss by either Speech or Barter checks and every skill can have an effect on dialogue even survival which I think is the most useless skills has unique dialogue if you have it,this of course affects in how many ways each quest can be solved. Also interesting that you guys said you dont tend to listen to the radio because you like the ambiant sound because there's some really good dialogue in some radio broadcasts,if you havent heard the Black Mountain Radio station I highly recommend it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI806-0 ... 77AB806850 also on the ambient sound much of that comes straight from Fallout 1&2 for example:

Lastly I highly recommend the DLC for this game,dead money and honest hearts are the weakest mostly for gameplay reasons but all of them are really good writing wise and even if you dont feel like doing it at least go to youtube or somewher and look for the story of the survivalist or the intro to Old World Blues because those are fallout at it's finest.

Sean

Post by Sean » November 13th, 2016, 2:49 am

Todinho wrote:Heard the podcast,bit of a shame that you guys kinda had to rush through it to meet the podcast 2h limit,I dont wanna sound like an ungreatfull git but for games for the amount of content and talking points people have like New Vegas the time limit could be bended a little bit maybe,not to say you guys didnt do a great job in the time you had or that you would've have to go bit by bit of the story but I think podcasts like these would flow alot better without the time limit I mean I often catch myself listening to the issues of Bioshock and Peace Walker and there's just no way you guys could've covered those as well as you did if you had the 2h limit then.
I hear ya. The actual recording itself went on for 2 1/2 hours, and, that was before adding in forum response. It is super difficult to discuss open-world games like these without going too long.

rob25X

Post by rob25X » May 20th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I think I enjoyed this podcast more than my two playthroughs of the game!

Some very interesting contributions from the C&R team which have somewhat added to my appreciation of Fallout: New Vegas.

A terribly buggy game (even on 360 with all patches), way too big and ambitious for it's own good. I personally found it to be a hugely confusing mess of a game. Enjoyable in some aspects but frustating and confusing on the whole. As with Fallout 3, there were too many and too expensive DLC packs. Without the help of the fallout wiki to explain where I was to go or how to find places on the map and complete missions I would never have finished it. Very poor basic game design.

Hardcore mode was an excellent addition and what I would praise the most.