The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
SludgeWizard

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Post by SludgeWizard »

The new abilities really make all the difference (to me). I’m one of the grumpy farts who didn’t love BOTW but I’m already liking TOTK more. I can’t wrap my head around how the new abilities don’t just break the game at every turn, and maybe they do, but they really are a ton of fun.

I wish I liked the combat more, and I still really hate the weapons breaking, but the new systems go a looong way and it’s just a ton of fun to play.

Also, regarding my earlier comment about 30fps vs 60fps, I agree, you can’t tell the different at all in handheld.
And even on the big screen you get used to it after a minute or two of play. I’m just surprised how fast I got spoiled on the PS5 with 60.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Rhaegyr wrote: May 15th, 2023, 4:17 pm
Truk_Kurt wrote: May 15th, 2023, 3:41 pm
Rhaegyr wrote: May 15th, 2023, 2:05 pm
My own pet peeve so far is having to attach a brightbulb to an arrow every single time I want to fire one - am I missing something?

To fire an arrow or do light up a brightbulb? If the latter you can just throw a brightbulb on the ground and hit it with your weapon and it will light up.
It's to fire an arrow - same goes for bomb arrows, keese eye arrows etc. As far as I can tell I have to hold 'Up' on the D-Pad to attach a material every time I want to fire a specific arrow type (even if I've just fired it).

Not a dealbreaker, just a tiny quibble.
Ah right, yeah I think it's as you say which I agree is a little annoying.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Is it just me of is this game harder than BoTW, yesterday I had a pretty frustrating sessoin where in an hour I only managed to do one shrine. It seemed like no matter which direction I went in after unlocking that first tower, I would just come across enemies way stronger than me who could kill me in a hit or two. I also wish I could get a horse earlier because I'm having to run everywhere which means it takes ages to get anywhere. I know I should build a vehicle but I don't want to have to build a vehicle from scratch every time. I know this sounds negative which I guess it is but I think it was just yesterday where I felt like I didn't make any progress that got me frustrated, up to then I had been enjoying the game a lot.
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

Some of the content I've come across on YouTube is... interesting.

It's remarkable how differently people play games. BOTW and now TOTK are quite mediative experiences for me. Yes, there's death and bombast and panic and running. But overall they are worlds to relax in. A place to wind down a day. Somewhere to take a breather.

But go on YouTube and you'll see people torturing Koroks and building Halo-like death from above vehicles and penises that shoot out fire.

Of course it's great to see a game's systems being exploited, and my policy with single player games is play it however you want to play it, but damn, it's strange seeing people take such a stately and beloved franchise and make it feel a Reddit thread.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

So I've put about 15 hours into this and have barely left Central Hyrule.
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

I'm ten hours in and I've just completed my second shrine in central Hyrule.
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

It got a 10 in this month's Edge, which is out this week. It's only the 6th game in 30 years that received maximum scores from both Famitsu and Edge. The others are:

Ocarina of Time
Bayonetta
Skyward Sword
GTAV
Breath of the Wild.
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Just curious, did anybody switch the voice acting to Japanese?
I don't love Zelda's English voice, but I haven't heard her speak since I switched to Japanese. I know I could look it up online but I'm looking forward to naturally hearing her and Ganondorf speak for the first time (again).
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

SludgeWizard wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:22 pm Just curious, did anybody switch the voice acting to Japanese?
I don't love Zelda's English voice, but I haven't heard her speak since I switched to Japanese. I know I could look it up online but I'm looking forward to naturally hearing her and Ganondorf speak for the first time (again).
Yeah I switched over immediately. I did so with BOTW as well. The English voice work was awful in the latter and I didn't even give it the benefit of the doubt this time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I changed BOTW straight away, as well as swapping the jump and sprint buttons.
GKBracken

Post by GKBracken »

See Mi Yah wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:57 pm
SludgeWizard wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:22 pm Just curious, did anybody switch the voice acting to Japanese?
Yeah I switched over immediately. I did so with BOTW as well. The English voice work was awful in the latter and I didn't even give it the benefit of the doubt this time.
Still unsure why they went with an underpracticed Canadian actress if they were absolutely insistent that Zelda had to have an English accent, guessing financial reasons. The actual accent sounds like opening night at an unsuccessful Renaissance fair in a flyover state.
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

I've been using the Hori Split Pad Pro when playing in handheld and the rear buttons work very well with this game. Having sprint mapped to the rear right button allows me to control my direction and camera while I'm sprinting, thus avoiding that awful Dark Souls claw that were all used to. And I have the rear left button mapped to item select so I can freely choose my attachable while I'm mid-aim with my bow. It's a good cheap option for those wanting to enter the 'pro controller' market albeit this is a very basic implementation here. Thankfully it's just about perfect for TotK.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I have the Split Pad Pro but never think to use the back buttons. The only game I've ever used them for was to make the N64 version of Goldeneye slightly more playable.
GKBracken

Post by GKBracken »

See Mi Yah wrote: May 19th, 2023, 12:21 pm It got a 10 in this month's Edge, which is out this week. It's only the 6th game in 30 years that received maximum scores from both Famitsu and Edge. The others are:

Ocarina of Time
Bayonetta
Skyward Sword
GTAV
Breath of the Wild.
The presence of Skyward Sword on that list serves only to undermine the list.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I preferred Twilight Princess from what I played of them both, but not a huge fan of any of the traditional 3D Zelda games really.
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

GKBracken wrote: May 20th, 2023, 2:23 pm
See Mi Yah wrote: May 19th, 2023, 12:21 pm It got a 10 in this month's Edge, which is out this week. It's only the 6th game in 30 years that received maximum scores from both Famitsu and Edge. The others are:

Ocarina of Time
Bayonetta
Skyward Sword
GTAV
Breath of the Wild.
The presence of Skyward Sword on that list serves only to undermine the list.
Yeah that's a common criticism. It's the one that leaps out for a lot of people. I haven't played it so I can't comment.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Love skyward sword, my second favourite zelda
GKBracken

Post by GKBracken »

Angry_Kurt wrote: May 21st, 2023, 9:03 am Love skyward sword, my second favourite zelda
Hated it, felt railroaded from the start. Did buy the HD version last week so hoping I gel with it a bit more this time.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

The HD version did a great job of proving to me that the motion controls really weren't ever the problem. The first 1/2 - 2/3rds ish is a perfectly good 3D Zelda, but the end is a mess of repetitive backtracking. I'm pretty sure I gave up on the remake in almost exactly the same place I did the original, the only difference is that I couldn't make myself come back a month later and finish it.

Re TotK, it turns out that I did the lamest two temples first, FWIW, I found the Fire and Lightning temples to be quite a bit better. They're still not anything terribly special by series standards, but a definite step up from BOTW.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

The reason I loved Skyward Sword so much was because I loved some of the dungeon designs and I thought the vast majority of the boss battles were superb. I can't deny the annoying backtracking towards the end of the game though, it wasn't enough to sour my experience of the game though.