The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Rhaegyr

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Post by Rhaegyr »

Sword combat in Skyward Sword with Motion Plus was glorious.
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

I haven’t enjoyed a Zelda game this much since OOT.
I put in something like 30 hours over a 4-day weekend (better half was out of town).
The fact that I am playing through both this and Elden Ring at the same time, I don’t know, when I come up for air I’m not even going to know what year it is.
Workyticket

Post by Workyticket »

See Mi Yah wrote: May 19th, 2023, 12:16 am it's great to see a game's systems being exploited, and my policy with single player games is play it however you want to play it, but damn, it's strange seeing people take such a stately and beloved franchise and make it feel a Reddit thread.
Funny thing is, as entertaining as it's been to see random maniacs on the internet building death machines, for me the biggest charm of the mechanics has come from how much they let you build badly and still somehow get away with it. I spent about half an hour the other day making a stupidly long and ungainly plank-ramp to get up a tower - most of that time being spent hauling the thing around, trying to find a way to lean it against the tower and mostly failing.

But eventually, I managed to plonk the thing against it in a way that was actually climbable. Running up it made me feel like I deserved a round of applause. The game gives you so much space to cobble together rickety crap, which then against all reasonable odds actually works. It's a masterpiece of intentionally unintentional comedy, and such a blast.
GKBracken

Post by GKBracken »

Workyticket wrote: June 1st, 2023, 4:36 am
See Mi Yah wrote: May 19th, 2023, 12:16 am it's great to see a game's systems being exploited, and my policy with single player games is play it however you want to play it, but damn, it's strange seeing people take such a stately and beloved franchise and make it feel a Reddit thread.
Funny thing is, as entertaining as it's been to see random maniacs on the internet building death machines, for me the biggest charm of the mechanics has come from how much they let you build badly and still somehow get away with it. I spent about half an hour the other day making a stupidly long and ungainly plank-ramp to get up a tower - most of that time being spent hauling the thing around, trying to find a way to lean it against the tower and mostly failing.

But eventually, I managed to plonk the thing against it in a way that was actually climbable. Running up it made me feel like I deserved a round of applause. The game gives you so much space to cobble together rickety crap, which then against all reasonable odds actually works. It's a masterpiece of intentionally unintentional comedy, and such a blast.
Amen. I ended up completely cheesing the Fire Temple with mixture of your aforementioned plank method mixed with flagrant abuse of Recall every time it inevitably failed. The game is really good at going "yeah, why not?"
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I feel like the shrines in this game are way harder than in Breath Of The Wild. I'm on one at the moment, subtitled "A Fixed Device" and am absolutely clueless what I need to do! I don't remember any in BOTW stumping me to the point I couldn't work them out, even if the solution took me a while to put in place. This shrine is a bastard!

EDIT: Worked it out literally moments after posting this. You have to make a bat!