Books completed (and general book talk)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Truk_Kurt

Re: Books completed (and general book talk)

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I understand that. I prefer having books to read rather than the digital ebook or audiobook. I have been offered the option of getting a Kindle as a christmas gift before but turned it down in favour of books.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The old style Kindle's are brilliant mind, you might change your mind if you have a go on one! Not the Kindle tablets you get now, but the older black and white ePaper ones with the eInk that even sometimes bleeds through slightly to the next page. They emulate 'real books' so well. I've got a Kindle Touch from about 15 years ago and still use it now. Battery lasts weeks, too! My mum always said she'd never use a Kindle but we got her one and she loves it. Worth a look if you ever fancy it!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

It's not so much being against using a screen for reading, it's more liking have the physical collection. I'm the same with magazines, I subscribe to PC Gamer, FourFourTwo and GP Racing. I know it would be slightly cheaper for me to just have the digital versions but I like having the feel of the magazine in my hands. I honestly can't explain it haha, weird how the brain works.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh no I know exactly what you mean, it's the reason I prefer physical graphic novels. Digital is great, and it's convenient, but nothing beats having a nice collection on a shelf and holding a real book. And the smell of new books...is that weird? :lol: Well I like it anyway...
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Alex79 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 10:32 am Oh no I know exactly what you mean, it's the reason I prefer physical graphic novels. Digital is great, and it's convenient, but nothing beats having a nice collection on a shelf and holding a real book. And the smell of new books...is that weird? :lol: Well I like it anyway...
Another book sniffer here haha.

My girlfriend thinks it's bizarre when she catches me but I don't really care. I'm sure there's some science behind it too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Rhaegyr wrote: February 15th, 2023, 11:46 am
Alex79 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 10:32 am Oh no I know exactly what you mean, it's the reason I prefer physical graphic novels. Digital is great, and it's convenient, but nothing beats having a nice collection on a shelf and holding a real book. And the smell of new books...is that weird? :lol: Well I like it anyway...
Another book sniffer here haha.

My girlfriend thinks it's bizarre when she catches me but I don't really care. I'm sure there's some science behind it too.
Yeah! And so what if I'm banned from every Waterstones in the UK!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Finished Six Four and thought it was great. A real page turner. Despite its length (it’s the biggest book I’ve read since order of the Phoenix many years ago) every page felt pretty essential. The main characters felt fleshed out and it was a gripping story. Minor complaints would be there are a lot of character with similar names which often got me confused and it was also a little difficult to remember who did what job and the relationship between various departments in the force and with the press. It felt really authentic though which doesn’t surprise me given the author used to be a detective. Overall very good though and another great recommendation from BackPagePod. 4/5
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

2023 Reading

Far from the Light of Heaven by Tade Thompson - 4 stars
The Body Scout by Lincoln Michel - 4 stars
The Big Time by Fritz Leiber - 2 stars
Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold - 4 stars
The Sleeping Dragon by Joel Rosenberg - 3 stars
War Surf by M.M. Buckner - 4 stars
No Gods, No Monsters by Cadwell Turnbull - 3 stars
The Lola Quartet by Emily St. John Mandel - 4 stars
Have You Eaten Yet? Stories from Chinese Restaurants Around the World by Cheuk Kwan - 4 stars
Taste: My Life through Food -Stanley Tucci - 4 stars
The Second Life of Nick Mason by Steve Hamilton - 3 stars
The Shortest History of China by Linda Jaivin - 5 stars
Last Night in Montreal by Emily St. John Mandel - 4 stars
SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard - 4 stars
The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land by Thomas Asbridge - 4 stars
Mini-Forest Revolution: Using the Miyawaki Method to Rapidly Rewild the World by Hannah Lewis - 4 stars
The Tommyknockers by Stephen King - 2.5 stars
The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates - 2 stars
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm - 4 stars
The Children on the Hill by Jennifer McMahon - 3.5 stars
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - 3.5 stars
Your Table Is Ready: Tales of a New York City Maître D' by Michael Cecchi-Azzolina - 4 stars