Yoku's Island Express

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Suits

Yoku's Island Express

Post by Suits » June 8th, 2018, 8:06 am

So, I’ve been playing this since Monday and I have to say, I’m very much enjoying it. I’m playing it on Switch, in a mixture of big screen and handheld.

It really taps into the MertoidVania vein I have and is a proper hour sink.

It got great artwork, good sound (although my wife dislikes the random noises, the party whistle) and has wonderfully addictive gameplay with the pinball element.

I’m not usually into Pinball games, although I appreciate the idea of them, I’ve just not been exposed to them in a way that I find them generally appealing or alluring. This though is different and I often find myself forgetting entirely that pinball is even an element of this game.

At first, I was a bit overcome by the variety of areas, characters and had no idea of where I needed to go, or what I needed to do – although the game does guide you, I was just spoilt for choice if you like and didn’t want to look at the map or objectives and just adventured off and made my own fun and experienced things at my own pace for a few hours.

After a while and hitting clear progress gates, things started settle down and become clearer, not that for a second not knowing what or where I was going wasn’t fun, there just seemed so much to do.

It’s has positive reviews online, which was what guided me to it in the first place to be honest.

Anyone else playing this, what do they think ??
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
Nintendo Switch - SW-0866-4803-1890
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

Alex79uk

Re: Yoku's Island Express

Post by Alex79uk » June 8th, 2018, 8:17 am

I'm interested in this. Did anyone ever play the hugely overlooked Mario Pinball on GBA? That was a great game and I'm getting a similar vibe.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 8th, 2018, 8:56 am

Haven’t got it yet, but YIE also makes me think of the flawed but interesting PS2 game Flipnic:

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » June 8th, 2018, 5:27 pm

^^^^ Good call. That's also still on my PS2 shopping list.

Suits

Post by Suits » June 9th, 2018, 3:26 pm

I finished this, this morning.

Very enjoyable, pleasant experience. Not hard, or taxing, just a Womble through a quality environment with good music and compelling gameplay.

Took me, I’d say just over 10 hours to roll the credits and I’ve already put a few more in mopping up a few bits and pieces.

Recommended.
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
Nintendo Switch - SW-0866-4803-1890
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949