Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Stanshall

Re: Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

Post by Stanshall »

I quite like how Nathan Jones speaks, seems frank but professional. Theoretical, every so slightly bullshitty but focused. Very modern manager kind of thing, kind of guy to talk about 'projects' and all that. Not sure if he's ready for the Prem though. I'd sooner him over Moyes et al, though. Wagner I also like. Kind of a Poundland Kloppo.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

My main issue with Jones is that he’s a full blown Jesus nut!

He had a good caretaker spell with us prior to Hughton and he enjoyed some success at Withdean as an Albion player.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Wagner’s literally just taken the job at Schalke so I can’t see that one happening.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Lord knows why Rafa Benitez would be in that list. He's at risk right now but he isn't going to another low end PL club if he leaves that's for sure.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I was in Chester yesterday and the Liverpool v Wolves game was on in the bar. Never been more conscious of my accent around 100 pissed up Liverpool fans :lol:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I have a Mick McCarthy vibe about this. You can pick plenty of examples over the years but none more marked than their catastrophic relegation from the championship after the fans got fed up with missing out on the playoffs and boring football. The difference there was the fans wanted it too. I don’t get the impression the Brighton fans were hankering for a change.

I know the results weren’t great and recent form has been terrible but it’s hard to argue against the fact you probably were the 17th best team in the league (sorry Leon).

With all the money Fulham invested in players, manager switches etc I’d say their season was the most disappointing with Man U a close second. Next season will be very interesting as I can’t call it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

According to the polls regularly run on the biggest BHAFC forum, between 50 and 70% of Brighton fans were hankering for a change.

No arguments that we were the 17th best team in the division, but we probably shouldn’t have been - and that’s the point.

But as always, multiple factors are at play. I think I’d have preferred it if we’d stuck with Chris, but if our current form were to continue into next season we’d be down by Christmas.

Regardless of anything else, things were visibly stagnating. We lost 0-5 and 0-2 at home to Bournemouth and Cardiff plunging us into relegation crisis. Many clubs would have gotten rid there and then.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Ah that’s interesting. I didnt know that. I thought from the outside that you were happy with him.

Whenever I start the season (as a Millwall fan) I generally look and think are there three worse teams than mine. I counted three this year and finished 4th from bottom. Next season I can’t count three.

This season i’d say Cardiff overachieved as I thought they would be bottom, Huddersfield went down as expected but I couldn’t call the third spot.

With a strong Norwich team, a gritty Sheffield United and potentially a tasty looking Villa team it’s going to be a close one.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

From the outside looking in, on paper I don't see where you'd realistically expect Brighton to be above 17th - all the teams above them in the league are well-established Premier League clubs (less so Bournmouth and Burnley, but still significantly more experienced than Brighton in the top flight in recent times). There aren't exactly marquee players there, it's looked to me a bit like over-achievement this season considering the squad until the bad form kicked in, which admittedly does look pretty dire in the last few months. But that cup run was really something special. I think that's the thing which surprises me the most, really. To deliver that - and survival, just - should have earned him a seat at the table to talk at least, not being sacked the very next day after that pretty decent performance against City. It just seems like poor treatment of someone who has delivered one of the best spells in the club's history.

Mind you, we are talking about a league containing a team that sacked it's manager nine months after achieving an incredibly unlikely and monumental title success, it is brutal.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

To be clear I'm not having a pop at Brighton here by the way Leon, it's the treatment of Chris I see as disappointing, I know I'm an outsider though and not in tune with the nuances of his reign there. My club also attracts well-deserved criticism for how it treats it's managers, and we've also gone backwards league-wise this season - minus the cup excitement.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Another perspective is that if they had won even a handful of the games they lost in the terrible run they would have finished much higher up the table. Would we even be having this conversation then?

Burnley did almost the complete opposite. So terrible at the start but then the team we knew who were so difficult to beat started turning up. Suddenly Dyche is on every vacant managers post shortlist when his head was being considered for the chopping block at first. Same with Eddie Howe to a lesser extent.

There is something to be said about taking your team as far as you can before needing fresh hands. Unless the new manager gets a guarantee of funds in the transfer window they won’t attract interest and will be a relegation candidate.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s always the way, if the season had played out the other way around then yes, the sacking would be truly shocking.

Fact is it didn’t though, and, bar a few magical moments and a slight increase in form at the end of the season we have been mostly awful for five months.

But yes, although I did sort of see it coming (listen back to last Saturday’s Albion Mag Radio Show if you don’t believe me), I’d have rather we had another go at recruiting some players that would tangibly improve our quality and give Chris another year.

Hughton is a pragmatist. We were brilliant in the Championship for two years, attacking, entertaining and scoring freely.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A lot of Brighton fans are now saying the same as you Haze. It’s a divisive one even among the hardcore.

I feel sad, I love Chris, but I did have real concerns about the performances too. As I say, this is a massive gamble by Bloom and Barber, only time will tell if it was a foolhardy one.

In terms of when and how it was done, well, it couldn’t have been before a match that potentially decided the league champions. Leaving it any longer seems pointless and self-defeating, so really it had to be today. As regards to the way it was done, I think a ‘mutual consent’ announcement was what we would have expected, so yes, that is surprising and disappointing.

What people from outside Brighton need to remember though is that there’s another man who we have infinitely more than even CH to be thankful for. The owner, Tony Bloom, who bought a stadium and world class academy/training facility basically out of his own pocket, brought us back to Brighton and is a true, dyed-in-the-wool, lifelong Albion fanatic. He ultimately calls the shots, and he has earned that right.
BrightNite

Post by BrightNite »

Simonsloth wrote: May 13th, 2019, 3:36 pm I have a Mick McCarthy vibe about this. You can pick plenty of examples over the years but none more marked than their catastrophic relegation from the championship after the fans got fed up with missing out on the playoffs and boring football. The difference there was the fans wanted it too. I don’t get the impression the Brighton fans were hankering for a change.

I know the results weren’t great and recent form has been terrible but it’s hard to argue against the fact you probably were the 17th best team in the league (sorry Leon).

With all the money Fulham invested in players, manager switches etc I’d say their season was the most disappointing with Man U a close second. Next season will be very interesting as I can’t call it.
I'm an Ipswich supporter, and i was mostly fairly pro-McCarthy, but I wasn't sad to see him go. His replacement, Paul Hurst, was a pretty bad choice and he made some poor buys - also we sold all of our good strikers and were relying on loans and inexperienced players. Although we have been relegated I can honestly say I feel more optimistic as a supporter now (as long as Paul Lambert stays and has the funds to get us a decent striker) than I have in about 10 years - we have the atmosphere back that has been lacking at Portman Road since relegation from the Premiership nearly 20 years ago, under McCathy and others it's been like a morgue - they may have kept us mid-table but it was like watching a team play dull defensive football in a crowd full of depressed and disinterested fans.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Brighton’s signings have fallen pretty short also by all accounts.

Quite a bit of spent on the final third contingent for little return.

So was he sacked or did they come to an agreement to leave ??
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As with Norwich, we bought potentially decent players that were never going to function properly in a Chris Hughton side.

Seems like a dismissal, as I say, I do wish it had been a “mutual consent” type scenario, which is what I had anticipated.

North Stand Chat (.com) is the place to go to see how other BHAFC fans feel. Opinions vary wildly, it’s fair to say.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I will say that from that list you probably don’t want Martin O’Neill, he’s done bugger all for Forest so far.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Come on you GUNNERS !!!

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

5-2 Arsenal you heard it here first!
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Simonsloth wrote: May 29th, 2019, 7:16 pm 5-2 Arsenal you heard it here first!
Well, that didn't work out too well haha

What a terrible performance from Arsenal and an overall rubbish game to watch. It felt like I was watching a friendly, not a cup final.