Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Simonsloth

Re: Association Football (aka 'Soccer' / "The Beautiful Game")

Post by Simonsloth »

It wasn’t a great game. I’m going to retract my prediction on that basis and not because I was completely and utterly wrong.

I’m predicting an awesome game this weekend. It’s going to be 2-2 and a spurs win on penalties this weekend. (So that means it will be 1-0 with the first goal in the 4th minute and boring thereafter)
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

I can't call it, I reckon it's gonna be a good game though and I'd be happy for either of them to win.

It's my Spurs mate's birthday and we're all going to the pub to watch it, there will be one Liverpool and several Arsenal fans along with us... it's going to be interesting.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Never thought I'd be cheers for Spurs in a Champions League final, but here we are.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Simonsloth wrote: May 30th, 2019, 5:45 pm(So that means it will be 1-0 with the first goal in the 4th minute and boring thereafter)
Close enough. Whether it was the three week gap or the over 30 degree heat, the game was really sluggish and poor quality. I'm happy with the result though.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

It was one of the worst games I've had the displeasure of watching as a neutral. Spurs were absolutely toothless.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

hazeredmist wrote: May 13th, 2019, 4:05 pmMy club also attracts well-deserved criticism for how it treats it's managers
:roll:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

What is going on?

Rooney to Derby
Puncheon to Pafos FC in Cyprus
Everyone to Spurs!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Literally most excited about a season for the first time since, ooh, last season. Big spending at EFC, great buys and looking to break the bank for Zaha. That would be a mad one but he's handed in a transfer request. Could really be happening. Even if not, Moise Kean looks absolutely superb, wild signing for a young Italian international from Juve. Physical, skilful, good finisher. Happy to keep Gomes, too, and Gbamin looks to be a strong replacement for Gueye.

I'm going to say we'll be pushing for CL this year. Absolutely no basis but I'm gonna say it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Sorry, I'll stop now.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I don't know what this new thing is, but I'm 100% okay with it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

More here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/se ... squires-on

He’s also done several books.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I popped my knee this morning, 10 minutes into a match.

No one near me, turned sharply a bit quickly and my leaf knee just popped - you could hear it, like cracking knuckles.

The pain.

I have to wait for the swelling to go down then hopefully get a MRI scan on Tuesday.

That’s it, I’m done with football, I’m too old and fat now.

Bloody international break 😄.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Bad luck mate, my own 'career' ended in a similar fashion but I never bothered getting the scan done or any operation so my knees are basically papier mache. Five-a-side and squash have a lot to answer for.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yaroo!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ouch! :shock:

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Okay! So, I mentioned before that I wanted to try getting into soccer. My wife is absolutely getting the Disney+ app and there's a bundle that comes with ESPN+

Which includes...
MLB, NHL, NBA, and MLS games, as well as college sports, PGA golf, Top Rank Boxing, and Grand Slam Tennis matches. You’ll also find the United Soccer League, cricket, rugby, Canadian Football League, English Football League, and UEFA Nations League games.

Which of those are the soccers everyone here loves so I can be part of a conversation?
Caligulas Horse

My dad raised me as a Celtic & Millwall fan, Celtic were his team growing up and Millwall is our local, so a pretty up and down weekend for me lol.

I thought Leeds were finally gonna beat us at the Den after Harris resigned but NOPE, we done em again! Only a bit bittersweet as I missed out on tickets waiting a few days for my friends to decide whether there were up for it.

Celtic seem to be throwing the league away, I'd probably care less if my annoying colleagues hadn't decided to start supporting Rangers.

On the subject of football people actually care about though, PL is throwing up some real surprises this year ay. Another Man City loss but the surprising thing is that they didn't score, I haven't watched it but wtf, that never happens! Meanwhile Liverpool just keep getting those 'lucky' breaks, they've gotta win it this year.
I screwed myself on fantasy football by subbing Dunk, I was convinced Spurs were gonna come back strong after that Bayern game and 'make a statement' but again NOPE. Well done to Brighton though, they were great, well deserved win.
Caligulas Horse

duskvstweak wrote: October 7th, 2019, 2:50 am Okay! So, I mentioned before that I wanted to try getting into soccer. My wife is absolutely getting the Disney+ app and there's a bundle that comes with ESPN+

Which includes...
MLB, NHL, NBA, and MLS games, as well as college sports, PGA golf, Top Rank Boxing, and Grand Slam Tennis matches. You’ll also find the United Soccer League, cricket, rugby, Canadian Football League, English Football League, and UEFA Nations League games.

Which of those are the soccers everyone here loves so I can be part of a conversation?
Do you know of MrBTongue on youtube? He does quite good video game analysis but also made a video explaining football for newbies called Patronising explanations: Soccer, might be worth a watch.

I think the World Cup is the best way to get into football but for now I'd recommend following the Champions League, it's still in the group stages so you won't need to catch up too much, it involves the best teams and I think it's easier to follow or understand than just jumping into random league games with no context.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'd stick to the Champions League for now too. Get to see the ''best'' in Europe and see who you like.

I support Tottenham Hotspur who are horrendous at the moment. I'm thankful for the fact my wife had a business trip come up as I would have been at the scene of one of the worst defeats in our history a week ago.

Premier League is going to be poor this season, we have lost the plot and Man City have had their defence messed up via injury and Liverpool seem to have enough luck that any other team would get over the course of years nearly every other week. League is sadly done, Man City will finish 2nd and 3rd and 4th is literally bald men fighting over a comb.

Can you tell I'm out of love with football at the moment :lol: