Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by clippa » October 8th, 2019, 7:05 am

Stanshall wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 4:48 pm
I broadly agree with all of your points
In that case I stand by everything I said.
Stanshall wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 4:48 pm
Freedom Finger
Ugh, yeah, you can smell that a mile off, all the warning signs were there but I thought "well, I'll give it a chance, you never know" went to grab the naughty demo and it's like 5gb! How?! Looked at some steam reviews, turns out it's full of cutscenes, didn't even bother downloading it.
ThirdMan wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 5:23 am
itch.io
Itch.io is the tits! Even epic can't compete with "developers set their own percentage cut"

It's not a stringent manifesto laying out what games should be or the types of games everyone should be playing. It's just me being honest with myself, about the games I prefer and spend most of my time playing nowadays.

I like games where the gameplay has been tried and tested and honed, built to last, designed to withstand lots of playtime. Games are gameplay to me. I'd rather a game gave me a living world and the tools to make my own stories than just experiencing a linear, pre planned narrative.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » October 8th, 2019, 7:44 am

ThirdMan wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 5:23 am
The best thing that has happened to me in gaming terms over the past 3 or 4 years has been shaking off all my preconceptions of what a game must offer to be a 'real game'. I find that type of language very reductive. It's also quite self-serving as I suspect many of those same people would consider videogames as works of art. They (rightly) want the definition of art to be extended to include their favourite interactive, goal-oriented games, yet don't seem willing to similarly extend the concept of 'game' to include those other types of experiences - those indie creations that are to videogames what videogames are to traditional art. People seem forever destined to plant their little flag in what they think is the 'real thing'.
Very true.

I'll admit to being deeply conflicted when it comes to this sort of thing.

On one hand, I love the creative diversity that video games provide. I love the broad varieties of experiences they can offer and I love just how creatively liberated they can be in comparison to more traditionally codified mediums like cinema and literature. Games can be long or short, goal-oriented or experience-oriented, cheap indies or massively expensive AAA, verbose or mute, complex or streamlined, narrative-based or mechanics-based, arcade or simulation, hand-crafted or procedurally generated, and much more and everything in-between. This lack of preemptive delineation of what a game can be goes well beyond the traditional concept of "genres". A game can be whatever its creators want it to be, in theory at least, and I think that's an inherent strength of this medium and something that should be celebrated. I like to step outside of my area of expertise every one in a while and experiment with different genres and design philosophies. I like to read the thoughts and opinions of people with completely different tastes and preferences from myself. I love the sense of discovering something which I didn't initially think would be my thing and yet it turns out to be exactly that.

I never join in the talk of "X is not a real game". If it's an interactive computer program designed for entertainment, it's a video game. Space Invaders, Flower, League of Legends, Farming Simulator 19, Papers, Please & Devil May Cry 5 are all video games. Period.

But on the other hand, I think our culture and discourse is plagued by toxic truisms and dynamics that mostly serve to discard things I care about. Most of my all-time favorite video games are on the demanding side of things. They're not easy-to-pick-up, codified, one-and-done experiences. They require a bit of effort in order to reveal their strength and beauty. And in this age of over-saturation and short attention spans, that's effort that the vast majority of players simply aren't willing to put in. Which wouldn't be an issue (horses for courses, after all) if it didn't have a direct effect on the industry itself. And unfortunately, it has. There is a vicious cycle at play here and I don't think it would be intellectually honest of me to put it all on the mean studio executives.

Put it this way: I would never dream of going to the Dear Esther subreddit and telling people that it needs to incorporate all sorts of mechanics and elements in order to pander to my tastes and preferences. That'd be absurd. To each their own and I want these people to have fun as well with a product that focuses on what is important to them. Basically, I try to be cognizant of all the different lanes and to be respectful whenever I venture onto somebody else's. But unfortunately, that doesn't always seem to work both ways.

Whenever somebody cares and knows a lot about a particular subject, it becomes very clear whether others do or not. I have no problem with somebody disagreeing with me, even strongly, as long as they know what they're talking about and are arguing in good faith. What I do have a problem with are uninformed takes that are coming from a place of laziness and entitlement. That's when my elitist tendencies come out.

Plus the rampant recency bias that dominates so much of the "conversation". Which is just completely toxic nonsense that does a lot more harm than good and yet nobody ever bothers to question it. We talked about it recently so I won't expand on it any further, but let's just say the problem doesn't seem to be going away.

The fact remains the vast majority of my favorite game series have become dumbed down and devalued over time in order to pander to the lowest common denominator. Often to the sound of thunderous applause coming from the least invested portion of the consumer base. And honestly, it's really hard not to become bitter about that. Especially when paid professionals are seemingly just swimming with the current and actively reinforcing a lot of these attitudes. When the God of War reboot came out last year you could barely find any reviewers that didn't go out of their way to badmouth old-school GoW in order to prop up the new one, for example. Some commenters were pointing out the reduction in strategic depth that came from the removal of the Jump mechanic only to be met with "Thank god they removed that useless feature. Keep that gamey shit in the past." Yeah, stuff like that is hard for me to swallow. Especially since we had to wait six months for the hype cycle to die down and the first comprehensive critical analyses to come out.

I don't like gatekeeping and I never advocate for it in practice (mostly because of all the social nastiness that usually derives from it, sexism, etc...). I'm no stranger to the internet and I've visited a number of forums in my day so I understand how toxic people can get about this sort of thing, but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't understand the urge to protect the things I care about sometimes.

So yeah. Bit of cognitive dissonance on my end. Our medium is beautiful in all its diversity. But I wish people were more respectful and less complacent in general and that the system wasn't completely set up so as to make everybody buy the latest and shiniest at the expense of everything else. :(

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » October 8th, 2019, 8:21 am

Which game series have been dumbed down? That's not a trick question. Genuinely interested.

I only had vague memories of the first God of War before playing the latest game. I really enjoyed it but I was shocked at how slow it felt compared to the original.

My only experience of a series being dumbed down is with the default, semi-assisted shot and pass settings in the FIFA games. Although that's more a case of a series being kept dumbed down because it's always been that way to varying degrees. There was some interest in moving towards manual controls at the start of this decade but it never happened.

Playing FIFA (and especially PES) on full manual controls completely changes the game and makes it feel much more organic and individual. Every goal is your doing and long-periods of possession have to be really earned. But that's never going to be the default mode because people won't accept having to work hard for their beautiful goals.

To each their own, but I really don't know how anyone can take pleasure or satisfaction from those default settings.

ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer » October 8th, 2019, 11:28 am

It's a matter of investment. I think the majority of people on this forum have gaming deeply embedded and are as happy for Papers, Please to succeed as Fortnite as any success benefits the industry and the games released.

But for the people who gaming is that thing they do with the family kids at Christmas, or that 30 minutes before heading out to the nightclub, they don't have the history (another 30+ years for me) or the passion and just want to be able to pick up the controllers - that look ever so complicated compared to their smartphone/TV Remote - and have a kickabout on FIFA, or a quick match on Call of Duty: This Years Edition; for them there isn't the interest into how the game has come about based on previous generations of similar games, they just want to play, don't care about the lore or whether there are better versions as it's the one that they saw in a banner ad whilst browsing socials, or which their nephew is old enough to play.

The apps they download to their smart device is always free so why should they be paying and in the industry is having to deal with models that have to marry this 'everything should be cheaper' with the vocal 'do it again but better' and then their own artistic desires on top. And some of this is nothing to do with gaming but is to do with the growth in intolerance generally - the Rockstar fans in this instance almost no different from the hardcore football fans.

I like a hobby where I can switch from Destiny 2 to Wargroove (last nights gaming), or Abzu to Mortal Kombat and I speak as someone who has never played any Mortal Kombat since the first game. I hope the industry remains in a position to continue to provide all those different forms of the media. It appears like the mid-tier game s very scarce as everything is either the Big AAA Title or Next Cult Indie - I wonder how this two tier system tallies to films, or books.

I have no interest in schmups but I fully support a hobby that means the genre exists and I hope the industry is able to plot a course where it is able to bring out a variety of games and interactive media.

Think I've lost track of where I wanted to go with this!

TL:dr Think I'm supporting everyone to some extent ...

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » October 8th, 2019, 11:41 am

ThirdMan wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:21 am
Which game series have been dumbed down? That's not a trick question. Genuinely interested.
Genuinely puzzled as to how anybody around here could not know what I mean by now considering how often I like to rehash the same old shit. :lol: I'll keep it in spoiler tags so as to not annoy everybody else:
Spoiler: show
Resident Evil is probably the best example of that overall. The classic games in my opinion have a near-perfect combination of strategic combat and exigent inventory management underscored by a powerful and idiosyncratic presentation style. RE4 changed a lot but also introduced an insanely precise combat system baked into its impeccable encounter design. The more recent entries on the other hand have all but abandoned most of the stuff I like about the series in favor of condescending hand-holding, cheap jump scares and RNG-ridden combat with barely any room for improvement and mastery. RE7 is a completely shallow and monotonous stick-pushing abomination that plays itself without leaving anything to the imagination and RE2make is a very mixed bag with a boatload of problems (despite bringing back the top-tier inventory management aspect with a vengeance, to its credit). I'm not at all optimistic about the future of the series considering how Capcom seems more interested in doubling down on a bunch of idiotic high-concept spin-offs nobody asked for rather than porting their old games properly.

Fire Emblem suffered a similar fate. Prior to Awakening on the 3DS, these games were defined by their deep tactical gameplay loop that forced the players to think about what they were doing ahead of time without giving them any easy way out. The narrative side of things was also surprisingly mature and potent for a first-party Nintendo series with stories about grounded characters dealing with tangible geo-political threats and a variety of themes associated with it. Awakening dismantled pretty much all of that by introducing overpowered skills and endless grinding opportunities, letting players opt out of the established penalty for tactical failure, on top of severely toning down the complexity of the maps. The end result being a tactical anticlimax with a completely front-loaded difficulty curve. Last but not least, the story lost all sense of gravitas and chose to zero in on the vacuous fantasy aspects and shoe-horned in some grotesque dating sim elements. Hard pass. It's a game tailor-suited for folks who don't actually like Fire Emblem and yet it has become the de facto face of the franchise since then. I hear the more recent Three Houses is a return to form in many respects but the damage that Awakening caused to the franchise is still noticeable. A lot of the criticism aimed at TH comes from Aw. fans who are completely obsessed with shipping characters and are frustrated with the fact that the later chapters actually expect them to put together a coherent strategy. Yikes.

Classic 2D Metroid is defined by its cerebral backtracking and minimalist storytelling with a clear focus on isolation and atmosphere. Those games expect you to get lost and feel completely cut off from any support system only to find your way out through sheer perseverance and sense of orientation (not unlike some of the Souls games, really). The first 2 Prime games understand that very well and do a fantastic job at transposing that core experience into the 3D space with their complex levels filled with puzzles and secrets. Apart from an icon that pops up on the map after a while, those games expect you to find your own way through and deal with all the hurdles that present themselves on your own terms. Door is locked and you need a specific power-up to open it? It's out there somewhere, good luck. The third game (Corruption) shows signs of focus-tested malarkey with its simplified corridors and numerous cutscenes dealing with its superfluous, pseudo Star Wars-esque secondary characters. It still gets the fundamentals right, but you can already tell it's trying to be a lot more accommodating to newer players as its predecessors. Other M is a complete disaster from start to finish that goes full "brainless cinematic" and focuses on some weird relationship between Samus and her CO. It tries to be a poignant and tragic human story punctuated by white-knuckle action segments and it fails spectacularly at both. The recent Samus Returns on 3DS is a much more decent proposal, but it's also plagued by heavy signposting with a mechanic dedicated to explicitly reveal all of the surrounding secrets with a single button press. A far cry from the heights of Super or Echoes.

Those first three are a great example of what I mean by dumbed down. Their classic iterations are certainly acquired tastes and aren't suited for mundane 20 minutes sessions before going to bed. They're a bit rough around the edges and they can be a bit intimidating at first. But that's also what makes them so rewarding and special once you learn their intricacies and dedicate some time and effort to them. Their modern counterparts fall incredibly flat in comparison. All empty calories and nowhere near enough fiber.

Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 (on the Xbox / 360) are some of best, tightest, and most challenging action games ever created with a ridiculously high skill ceiling. 3 plays like an atrocious third-rate parody of those by removing a lot of the weapons and combat options, turning previous mechanics into borderline cutscenes and interrupting the gameplay over and over again with idiotic cinematic elements. Not unlike Other M, it also takes itself incredibly seriously with its pseudo-serious storyline even though it has absolutely nothing to say and doesn't hesitate to sacrifice its main appeal (combat system) in the process. Irredeemable. The series is apparently dead and buried now.

The aforementioned God of War also qualifies. I'm one of the few old-school purists who actually likes the reboot. But there's no denying that it is a much more homogenized affair than the old ones. The combat focuses on elaborate long-winded animations that constantly come at the cost of responsiveness and spontaneous decision-making, something the old games don't suffer from. The RPG elements also seem like they were put in because that's what modern players expect rather than out of a sense of genuine design integrity. It's a really good game, I like it a lot. But it's also very... passive and bloated. A trend follower rather than a trend setter.

Last but not least, the Ninja Theory DmC reboot is a great example of the kind of issues that arise when a studio primarily focused on storytelling and presentation takes the reigns of a series known for its incredibly intricate gameplay mechanics. The game has its fans so I'll choose my words carefully, but I think it's fair to say that its combat system doesn't exactly compare favorably to DMC3's or 4's or 5's in terms of depth and fine-tuning, among a multitude of other issues.

I'll try to think of other examples, but that should get my point across for now. :P

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » October 8th, 2019, 4:28 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 11:41 am
ThirdMan wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:21 am
Genuinely puzzled as to how anybody around here could not know what I mean by now considering how often I like to rehash the same old shit. :lol: I'll keep it in spoiler tags so as to not annoy everybody else:
Resident Evil is probably the best example of that overall. The classic games in my opinion have a near-perfect combination of strategic combat and exigent inventory management underscored by a powerful and idiosyncratic presentation style. RE4 changed a lot but also introduced an insanely precise combat system baked into its impeccable encounter design. The more recent entries on the other hand have all but abandoned most of the stuff I like about the series in favor of condescending hand-holding, cheap jump scares and RNG-ridden combat with barely any room for improvement and mastery. RE7 is a completely shallow and monotonous stick-pushing abomination that plays itself without leaving anything to the imagination and RE2make is a very mixed bag with a boatload of problems (despite bringing back the top-tier inventory management aspect with a vengeance, to its credit). I'm not at all optimistic about the future of the series considering how Capcom seems more interested in doubling down on a bunch of idiotic high-concept spin-offs nobody asked for rather than porting their old games properly.

Fire Emblem suffered a similar fate. Prior to Awakening on the 3DS, these games were defined by their deep tactical gameplay loop that forced the players to think about what they were doing ahead of time without giving them any easy way out. The narrative side of things was also surprisingly mature and potent for a first-party Nintendo series with stories about grounded characters dealing with tangible geo-political threats and a variety of themes associated with it. Awakening dismantled pretty much all of that by introducing overpowered skills and endless grinding opportunities, letting players opt out of the established penalty for tactical failure, on top of severely toning down the complexity of the maps. The end result being a tactical anticlimax with a completely front-loaded difficulty curve. Last but not least, the story lost all sense of gravitas and chose to zero in on the vacuous fantasy aspects and shoe-horned in some grotesque dating sim elements. Hard pass. It's a game tailor-suited for folks who don't actually like Fire Emblem and yet it has become the de facto face of the franchise since then. I hear the more recent Three Houses is a return to form in many respects but the damage that Awakening caused to the franchise is still noticeable. A lot of the criticism aimed at TH comes from Aw. fans who are completely obsessed with shipping characters and are frustrated with the fact that the later chapters actually expect them to put together a coherent strategy. Yikes.

Classic 2D Metroid is defined by its cerebral backtracking and minimalist storytelling with a clear focus on isolation and atmosphere. Those games expect you to get lost and feel completely cut off from any support system only to find your way out through sheer perseverance and sense of orientation (not unlike some of the Souls games, really). The first 2 Prime games understand that very well and do a fantastic job at transposing that core experience into the 3D space with their complex levels filled with puzzles and secrets. Apart from an icon that pops up on the map after a while, those games expect you to find your own way through and deal with all the hurdles that present themselves on your own terms. Door is locked and you need a specific power-up to open it? It's out there somewhere, good luck. The third game (Corruption) shows signs of focus-tested malarkey with its simplified corridors and numerous cutscenes dealing with its superfluous, pseudo Star Wars-esque secondary characters. It still gets the fundamentals right, but you can already tell it's trying to be a lot more accommodating to newer players as its predecessors. Other M is a complete disaster from start to finish that goes full "brainless cinematic" and focuses on some weird relationship between Samus and her CO. It tries to be a poignant and tragic human story punctuated by white-knuckle action segments and it fails spectacularly at both. The recent Samus Returns on 3DS is a much more decent proposal, but it's also plagued by heavy signposting with a mechanic dedicated to explicitly reveal all of the surrounding secrets with a single button press. A far cry from the heights of Super or Echoes.

Those first three are a great example of what I mean by dumbed down. Their classic iterations are certainly acquired tastes and aren't suited for mundane 20 minutes sessions before going to bed. They're a bit rough around the edges and they can be a bit intimidating at first. But that's also what makes them so rewarding and special once you learn their intricacies and dedicate some time and effort to them. Their modern counterparts fall incredibly flat in comparison. All empty calories and nowhere near enough fiber.

Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 (on the Xbox / 360) are some of best, tightest, and most challenging action games ever created with a ridiculously high skill ceiling. 3 plays like an atrocious third-rate parody of those by removing a lot of the weapons and combat options, turning previous mechanics into borderline cutscenes and interrupting the gameplay over and over again with idiotic cinematic elements. Not unlike Other M, it also takes itself incredibly seriously with its pseudo-serious storyline even though it has absolutely nothing to say and doesn't hesitate to sacrifice its main appeal (combat system) in the process. Irredeemable. The series is apparently dead and buried now.

The aforementioned God of War also qualifies. I'm one of the few old-school purists who actually likes the reboot. But there's no denying that it is a much more homogenized affair than the old ones. The combat focuses on elaborate long-winded animations that constantly come at the cost of responsiveness and spontaneous decision-making, something the old games don't suffer from. The RPG elements also seem like they were put in because that's what modern players expect rather than out of a sense of genuine design integrity. It's a really good game, I like it a lot. But it's also very... passive and bloated. A trend follower rather than a trend setter.

Last but not least, the Ninja Theory DmC reboot is a great example of the kind of issues that arise when a studio primarily focused on storytelling and presentation takes the reigns of a series known for its incredibly intricate gameplay mechanics. The game has its fans so I'll choose my words carefully, but I think it's fair to say that its combat system doesn't exactly compare favorably to DMC3's or 4's or 5's in terms of depth and fine-tuning, among a multitude of other issues.

I'll try to think of other examples, but that should get my point across for now. :P
That was a great post. Really enjoyed it. I love how you can remember such minute details of things you like or don't like about games. I'm afraid my memory isn't what it used to be. I think that's why I'm usually so positive about things from the past. When in doubt, lavish praise!

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » October 9th, 2019, 11:54 am

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Took advantage of a month free Apple arcade and my wifes work iPad Pro she never uses to play this through.

Mixed bag really. Some great songs in there but in 90% of cases the levels are that short that it is done and dusted before the song could bed in. Gameplay is ok if a little frustrating in places, I felt I needed to be playing on a pad in the later levels. In some instances ''enemies'' either need countering with you moving or touching the screen at a certain point and it does a poor job of telegraphing what it coming next. I found the last level infuriating as it felt like luck to be progressing.

Little bit style over substance for me.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 9th, 2019, 12:04 pm

I had a similar response to you, Rich.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 9th, 2019, 3:16 pm

It's a game that's meant to be replayed and mastered, in my opinion, rather than a one and done thing. Isn't that the nature of music/rhythm/driving/shmup hybrids?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 9th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Yeah, and I will go back and try for more golds, but I got silver almost all the way through and nothing about the feel or mechanics felt robust or compelling enough to make me want to immediately keep playing for score attack purposes, based on my one play through anyway.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » October 9th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Finished my God of War 3 Remastered playthrough on Chaos (Very Hard).

Really enjoyed my time with it overall. It's not the greatest game of all time, and it doesn't even trouble GoW2 for my favorite in the series, but it's still an excellent game. I prefer the pacing and narrative priorities of the second one and I think 3's endgame is a bit of a disappointment in comparison to its superb opening and mid-game. The changes to the combat between 2 and 3 are a bit of a mixed bag as well. Great enemy variety and added movement options however, and the tiny margin of error on this difficulty mode really made me appreciate the polish of some of the boss fights even more. Hades in particular is truly special in my opinion.

I've reinstalled the reboot. Curious to see whether I still feel as positive about it one (and a half) year later.

Dunno what it is about this series but it always puts me in the most charitable mood. :lol:

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » October 9th, 2019, 9:01 pm

1st February - Dark Souls
8th February - The Gardens Between
9th February - Quarantine Circular
20th February - Night in the woods
26th March - Ape Out
16th June - Brothers
25th June - My Friend Pedro
7th July - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
23rd July - Streets of Rage 2
27th August - DOOM (1993)
2nd October - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
6th October - Astral Chain

9th October - Untitled Goose Game

Quite a charming little game. At times some genuine laughs and clever conundrums. At others, an exercise in frustration a la the Broken Sword goat puzzle where you know what to do but can't nail the timing. Nice controls and art style too, but wore a bit thin after a couple of hours.

Anyhow, fun idea and nice to play something a bit different.

Conor NVM

Post by Conor NVM » October 11th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I too very recently finished the Goose Game. In one sitting too, but I actually felt that was a nice way to experience it.

Without spoiling the ending, the way it wraps up is sublime. It's just short enough that when the ending references the journey your goose has gone on, it feels complete and timely.

I can just imagine the dev team's conversation when they first thought of the ending. It's must have been an easy decision, because it's so poetic.
I'd really be interested in reading/watching a 'making of' for this game.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » October 12th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
January 20th, 2019, 4:10 pm
JAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
FEB - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Where On Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
MAR - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
MAR - Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)
MAY - Söldner-X 2 (PS Vita)
MAY - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
MAY - The Punisher (Arcade on PS Vita)
JUN - Super Mario Bros. (NES on Switch)
JUN - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS4)
JUL - Windjammers (Arcade Mode) (PS Vita)
JUL - Detroit: Become Human (PS4)
JUL - Super Mario Odyssey: Credits Roll (Switch)
AUG - Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch) SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2: The Majima Saga (PS4)
SEP - Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PS4)
SEP - Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
SEP - The Room (Android)
OCT - The Room 2 (Android)

Absolutely impeccable. Even better than the first. Outstanding series, really. Already bought and downloaded the next game, can't wait!

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » October 13th, 2019, 9:18 pm

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger
Wolfenstein: The New Order
DOOM (2016)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Super Mario 64
Metro: Last Light
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Shovel Knight
The Last of Us
Valkyria Chronicles
Mad Max
Suikoden
Hollow Knight
Dead Cells
The Messenger
Resident Evil 0
Finished Resident Evil 0. It's not really a hard game, especially considering how angry Code Veronica made me. But, the amount of backtracking I had to do on a fairly small map made it take quite some time. There were some nights I think my progress was a quarter of my actual playtime. But, I took KSub's advice, rolling saved often, played in 4:3 and kept the important items close by at all times so it never became too frustrating. And, I saved all my grenades and magnum bullets for the last section of the game that Tyrant's and final bosses were not a problem (I got the "Winged Spawn of Satan" achievement on Steam! Top 4%, baby!)

It's a pretty game for how old it is, still plays relativity smoothly and had some fairly inoffensive encounters, but it left little in the was of an impression on me. While I could easily replay REmake or the PS1 version of Resi 2, I doubt I'll ever come back to 0, unless I get real crazy and need a replay of the whole series.

Also! Considering this is the last of the "classic" RE games and that I have played 4 in the past, I feel like I achieved something of a personal goal. Growing up in both middle school and high school, I was always fascinated by the Resident Evil games and what seemed to be a mixture of convoluted lore and scary monsters. Since I never played the games, I could only watch from the outside as people talked about the series and it's characters. Having played as many as I have now means I've broken through all of that and I can finally be part of the conversation...albeit a few decades late!

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » October 14th, 2019, 11:34 am

01 Jan: Chuchel (Android)
01 Jan: Rocketman (Web)
01 Jan: The Quest for the Rest (Web)
01 Jan: Questionaut (Web)
22 Feb: My Child Lebensborn (Android)
28 Feb: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
06 Mar: Inside (PS4)
11 Mar: Hitman (PS4)
12 Mar: Subsurface Circular (Switch)
20 Mar: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (PS4)
18 Sep: In the Pause Between The Ringing (Steam)
19 Sep: A Short Hike (Steam)
14 Oct: Super Mario Bros. (Switch Online)

Liberal use of the rewind button means this was a delightfully stress-free journey. It's interesting that so many of the enemies that I recognise from the later games were present even then. The DNA of a franchise.

I was quite surprised by just how repetitive it was, particularly the end of world boss battles, but then again it's the same age as me and I'm fairly one-dimensional as well.

Those three 'endless' levels resulted in a quick visit to YouTube. I thought the game was glitching! Talk about a curveball!

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » October 14th, 2019, 10:00 pm

14-10 - The Evil Within (X360)

I made it at 3:15 in the morning, recording day of the podcast. Turned out I didn't have many time slots available to play it, as it's not something you put on while the kiddies are still up and about.

Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse » October 15th, 2019, 10:25 am

Alex79uk wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 6:19 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 3:04 pm
clippa wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 2:13 pm
They've probably turned it into a fucking 3rd person shooter by now, have they? :lol:
They tried with one of the sequels but it wasn't well received by long-time fans at all. The 2016 reboot and its sequel on the other hand thankfully take a complete 'back to the roots' approach and are as slow, methodical, strategic, and True-Hitman-y as it gets. Fantastic games, the complete opposite of dumbed down action shooters.
I think a lot of people (and I'm certainly not implicating you with this comment) really didn't give the game a fair chance, because the Hitman they loved is truly there. It's just linked together by some more outright action sections that played like an Uncharted/Gears cover shooter.

It's cool that you liked it but that's a bit like saying "the pizza you love is truly there it just has pineapple on top" lol. I think people did give it a fair chance, it just wasn't the game we had hoped for. IIRC The levels were more linear, the locations weren't as varied or interesting and I remember there being too many missions where you didn't have a target. Definitely not a bad game, it just didn't hit that spot that the previous Hitman games did.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » October 16th, 2019, 8:25 am

1st February - Dark Souls
8th February - The Gardens Between
9th February - Quarantine Circular
20th February - Night in the woods
26th March - Ape Out
16th June - Brothers
25th June - My Friend Pedro
7th July - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
23rd July - Streets of Rage 2
27th August - DOOM (1993)
2nd October - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
6th October - Astral Chain
9th October - Untitled Goose Game

16th October - What Remains of Edith Finch

I'll be honest, I went into this purely on personal recommendation and only knew it was a walking simulator affair. What I did NOT know was how short it was.

Now I have no issue with short normally. Inside, Ape Out, The Gardens Between, Gris... All wonderful, all brief. But this felt like it ended just as I was warming up to it!

Genuinely presumed I was playing the scene setting intro before the game proper until the credits appeared; I sat there stunned and confused.

What is there is interesting. The way the narrative is interwoven is great. The flashback memory sequences are mostly fascinating. Uncomfortable at times, sporadically humourous, often dark. And it looks gorgeous. It is dripping with atmosphere and style.

But I can't get past the length, which is so unlike me. It felt like it was only just beginning.

So I have no idea how to sum up this one.

Is it good? Yes.
Did it leave me wanting more? Yes.
Is it original? Yes.

All good things. So why has it left me feeling hollow and slightly ripped off?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » October 16th, 2019, 10:55 am

After months and months of steady incremental progress, I've finally solved the last Infinifactory puzzle in a grueling multi-hour (fasting) session a few days ago.

I thought for sure this one was ever so slightly above my skill level last time I took a break from the game, so it felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders when I saw the production line finally work as intended for the first time.

Rather proud of myself and very happy with my purchase overall. This game is an absolute treasure in all the right ways.