Videogames Q&A

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Videogames Q&A

Post by DomsBeard »

Thought I'd start a thread about any videogame related questions.

I'm getting a blu ray player but thinking of biting the bullet and getting a PS3 finally. How good is the play back on the PS3?. Cheers
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Videogames Q&A

Post by ratsoalbion »

Absolutely pristeen. However there are probably quieter BR players available.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Yeah agreed the blu ray player is very good in the PS3, although nowadays decent stand alone players are cheap and can get one for less than £100. Having said that given all the amazing PS3/PSN exclusives available I think a PS3 would be the best option. Depends how bothered you are about that I suppose to spend the extra cash.

Other thing to bear in mind if you want it as a media player is that the PS3 is good for this, but not the best, in that it doesn't support all HD formats such as MKV
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have a premium 360 so I'm used to noise. Mrs wants a blu ray and I'm fancying getting a PS3 so I think it'll be mutually beneficial.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's a fine plan. Too many great exclusives on the console not to have one (goes for the 360 also).
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah I've had to borrow a friends to play Heavy Rain, MGS4 but never really fancied things like Uncharted/Resistance. PS+ has got me interested plus I want to play MGS1 again at some point it's been too long
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Journey, Flower, Ico and SOTC HD says hello :)

there are loads actually, those just spring to mind.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I got a really good blu-ray player for £80 (Sony player no less)
At the time I was looking into the PS3/Blu ray player decision. I did some searching around the internet, and you can get some pretty good deals on a PS3 new, however, I was looking more into buying a PS3 with a broken hard drive (spotted a few on ebay for £50 buy it now) and drop in a bigger hard drive, something that I understand most PS3 owners try to do anyway.

The only reason I didn't go for the PS3 was down to the sheer bulk of the thing, even the 'slim' model would take up more space than I really have the room for. If space is not a factor (or how many cables end up dangling out the back of your TV :P ) then I would go for a PS3, you get to buy some PS3 exclusives then, which would be great!
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

DomsBeard wrote:Thought I'd start a thread about any videogame related questions.

I'm getting a blu ray player but thinking of biting the bullet and getting a PS3 finally. How good is the play back on the PS3?. Cheers
there are better Blu Ray players, in fact there are a lot better Blu Ray players but the PS3 is still capable of a lovely picture and it's way beyond what you would get on SkyHD (and obviously Virgin because their HD picture is crap) so its impressive regardless.

The advantage with the PS3 is that it isn't just a BR player, it plays games as some of the exclusives are outstanding!

That said, definitely pick up the BR remote for it, lovely peripheral and the DS3 controller is a pain for media playback in comparison, for general use it's brilliant.
MAp

Post by MAp »

I echo what everyone else is saying, it seems to be a solid Blu ray player with the added bonus of playing some great exclusives.
I also hear that most of the streaming services are better on PS3, I'm only on lovefilm which has no reason to stream anything other than Rex the Runt, so beyond the BBC Iplayer I haven't got a clue?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, like everyone else is saying, if you have the money to spend, as a gamer, a PS3 will prove a better investment. There are plenty of reasons to own one, outside of the blu-ray functionality.

But, ultimately, if you just want a blu-ray player, there's no need to spend that much.
General Aquila

Post by General Aquila »

I think I'll put this link over here http://kotaku.com/5944433/sony-unveils- ... of-the-ps3
I'm looking for Blu Ray player also...but another version of the PS3 which I can get at a cheaper price may change my mind and finally get me buying it!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Dante Fireseed wrote:Other thing to bear in mind if you want it as a media player is that the PS3 is good for this, but not the best, in that it doesn't support all HD formats such as MKV
I get around this problem by using PS3 Media Server on my Desktop, I stream movies music and whatever without any problem from my Mac (there's a PC and Linux version too) upstairs to my PS3 downstairs. Be warned though, the PS3 is problematic if you wish to play torrented movies as Sony have installed software within its structure that has a knack of spotting it and disabling playback.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

For mkv's I'd suggest MKV2VOB too, though you're limited by FAT32 on some storage options so you'll have to split movies over 4GB (just found out there's actually a tab in the program to do this automatically now) and if you're running those high def movies by PS3 Media Server you might be best over a wired connection.

My biggest issue on PS3 is usually subbed movies but I use this to sort that out 90% of the time AVIAddXSubs