The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
See Mi Yah

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by See Mi Yah »

Mr Ixolite wrote: May 20th, 2023, 7:51 pm The Switch is excellent for 2D gaming - For the "mainstream" franchise staples you have access to
- DKC tropical Freeze
- Megaman classic, X, and Zero/ZX collections
- Castlevania anniversary collection (for the classic games) and advance collection (more metroidvanias)
- New Super Mario Bros U DX still has a bit of that "genericness" of the NSMB subseries, but is far and away the best within that series, and contains A LOT of 2D platforming for your buck.
- Rayman Legends is on switch - I personally prefer Origins, but it's still an excellent 2D platformer

For the lesser knowns,
- The Blaster Master Zero series is a fun, shooting-oriented blend of Metroidvania
- VVVVVV is on switch! And is a tremendously excellent, bite sized adventure!
- Yooka Laylee and the impossible lair has some janky load times, but pretty good level design
- Carrion: metroidvania-ish stealth game where you're a horrible monster eating everyone
- Bloodstained: Curse of the moon is a lovely homage to Older Castlevania games
- Wandersong is not level based, but is 2D in design and full of charm
- Cuphead is 2D and tonnes of fun, but is also intense and demanding
- And As mentioned by Alex79, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Shovel Knight and the Ori games are tremendous

If 3D platformers are your thing theres also the mario platformers obviously, as well as A Hat In Time, but in terms of an ultimate neat little palate cleanser game, try out Lunistice - it's cheap, acessible, and extremely addictive.
Thank you. Carrion is the one that's really leaping off the page there!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just to note, every one of those games I mentioned are frequently in sales on Switch and can be bought way cheaper than full price, so just keep an eye out if you fancy any of them.
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

Alex79 wrote: May 20th, 2023, 9:35 pm Just to note, every one of those games I mentioned are frequently in sales on Switch and can be bought way cheaper than full price, so just keep an eye out if you fancy any of them.
Cool. Good to know. I'm a total fiend for sales. I very rarely buy anything full price these days. I've been burned one too many times.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Same here, especially on Switch. It's a good idea to keep a wishlist of every game you even have a slight interest in and then check it once a week or something to see what's on sale. I have over 100 games on my list! I think I've only bought one full price game in the last 3 or 4 years and that was Elden Ring.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Another shout here for Yokus island
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Another Direct at 3pm this afternoon - big focus on Pikmin 4 (woohoo) but anyone else want to offer any predictions/hopes?

It's a long shot but I'm going for some Mario news. It's been a long time since Odyssey and with the film doing well I'm hoping to hear something.

No point anticipating anything F-Zero, Starfox or DK related :(
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

There were a few genuinely exciting/interesting announcements in amongst the mess of life sims and monster catching games...

I am very hyped for the MGS Master Collection. It looks like a really nice package.

I was surprised to see a Mario RPG remake! It's a shame they're not putting the SNES original on the online service, and £50 is far too expensive for me (I'm not saying it's not worth it, just more than I'd be prepared to pay for a remake of a SNES game).

The Arkahm Collection is interesting. I have little interest in replaying the games and struggle to see who it's for, all these years later, but it'll be fascinating to see how good/terrible Arkham Knight runs on the Switch. Now, if they stuck Arkham Origins on there I'd replay that one for sure!

Pikmin I have no interest in at all, but nice to see all those games will now be available on Switch. Just a shame Nintendo don't give all their old series the same treatment (seriously, where the hell is Wind Waker...??)

I'm pleased about Vampire Survivors. I wasn't sure if would run well on Switch, but I've been playing the mobile Android version recently which runs very well so sure it'll be fine.

A new Mario game is always welcome but there were little irritations with this one. I didn't like the words popping up ("excellent!" "awesome!" etc) when you collect stuff, but the kids will probably want it.

I also really dislike the Luigi's Mansion games, but again, mine will want the remaster of the second game as they enjoyed Luigi's Mansion 3 a while back.

Trying to think if there was anything else worth mentioning... Don't think so, just the usual "Switch game" style things, which don't much appeal. They all look the same to me.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I liked the look of the Super Mario Wonder, will pick that up and am curious about Mario RPG but I'm not really into RPGs with rare exception so will maybe pick it up when it's cheaper (if it ever becomes cheaper being a Nintendo game). I wasn't a fan of Luigi's Mansion 3 either so the 2 remake didn't do anything for me. The other thing worth mentioning is the Princess Peach game although we know nothing about it.

Whilst we already knew about the Persona Tactica game, this was the first time I had actually watched the trailer and it may be the first Persona game I've played. I just love turn based tactics games so the fact I know nothing about Persona doesn't matter to me.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

From what I have seen this was a pretty interesting Direct. A remake of Super Mario RPG was a lovely surprise and I wonder if this might come back as the true Mario RPG series what with Mario and Luigi gone under due to Alpha Dream going bankrupt and Paper Mario now being a very different beast from its turn based RPG roots. Interesting possibilities lie ahead. Also Super Mario Wonder seems to capture the other worldly oddness of the Mario series in a way that the 2D platformers have not done in ages. Quite the looker and seems to be bursting with madcap ideas, nice to see.

Pikmin 4, Dragon Quest Monsters and Penny’s Big Breakaway all look like they could be great also. Glad Nintendo decided to focus on getting some good stuff out after Tears of the Kingdom came out. Can't rely on just one game to carry you through the year so good they are not getting complacent.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Super Mario RPG is one of my favorite games ever, so I'm not sure why I'm not more excited for the remake. It looks nice, but honestly the original is so good that I struggle to think what they can update beyond the visuals to actually improve the game, and I still think the original looks good, so I'm kinda left wondering what the point of this is. Yoko Shimamura confirmed that she's remastering all the music herself, which will definitely be amazing, but beyond that, I would have been perfectly happy with just releasing the SNES version on NSO.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Brian, who also adores the original (as you'll have heard on our podcast about it), is absolutely beside himself about the prospect of the remake.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

One thing the Mario RPG remake got me a little annoyed about, why didn't Nintendo but that same amount of effort into remaking 64 and Sunshine in the Switch collection they released!