The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: February 10th, 2022, 9:49 pm I thought the MK8DX news was absolutely wonderful. Expensive!? Fuck off.
I was going to write "fuck off" but remembered where I was and amended it to "shut up".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Should've gone with my gut.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I bought Mario Smash Football / Strikers on GameCube, had a quick go then never played it again. I did the same on Wii but have never even fired that one up. Like both of those at the time, I really like the look of the new one, but I can’t do it again! Can I…?
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

48 tracks is almost certainly more than we would have gotten in a theoretical Mario Kart 9, and for half the price, and it's not like much else would really have changed. This seems far better, though I guess I'm a little surprised that they're apparently not including a single new racer. Between these 48 remakes and the ones already in DX, how many tracks from the series will not be in the game? I bet this is more than half of them.

I would have preferred a true sequel to FE Warriors, with characters from multiple games in the series, but I'm not really surprised that they're doing the same thing the did with Age of Calamity (which I also didn't like as much as the first HW), and I'm sure this will still be good.

The Triangle Strategy demo is working exactly as intended, it's fantastic, and I'm more excited for it than ever now. I still think it's a dumb name though...

I love that Xenoblade's UK voice cast has created such a solid identity for the series that I was able to identify the trailer the moment someone started speaking, and the game looks excellent.

Not even Mario can make me want to play a sports game though...
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Live a Live was an RPG that always interested me and it was such a surprise seeing that game get the HD2D treatment. Since Nintendo is publishing this one, it seems it is going to be exclusive to the Switch which is a shame as it looks amazing and I am struggling with keeping up with one console, let alone two. Chrono Cross Remaster will be on PS4 which is nice as this was another game not released in Europe which I always wanted to try out!

Klonoa 1 and 2 getting remasters was also awesome news as I honestly never thought that series would ever be looked at again in any context. Hope they do well enough for Namco to consider returning to this series as the first two in particular are lovely little gems of platformers. Kirby and the Forgotten Land still looks incredible, so glad Nintendo is trying a 3D platformer that is not Mario!

Overall, this was a really good Direct with a diverse line up of games and was particularly good for RPG fans. Even Mother got some love with the first two games on the NSO. Still no Mother 3 but if they keep this momentum up, now might be as good a chance as any that it might happen. Still tiny, but the odds have improved a little bit :)
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I never played Klonoa, but it's easy to forget just how good Namco were back then - easily the strongest developer of the early PS1 era. Almost every game they put out was amazing.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I must admit I was a bit taken aback by all the public adoration of Klonoa. I'd never played it, but had always assumed it was considered a bit of a C-tier platformer along the same lines as Bubsy or Gex or something like that. Had no idea people loved it so much. As such, definitely interested in these remakes, since a good platformer is always worth a play.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

My memory of Klonoa from the time is that is got strong but not stellar reviews, 7s and 8s out of 10. I think it got unfairly dinged for being a sidescroller and not a 'true' 3d platformer, as was common in the early days of polygonal gaming when 2d games were seen as retrograde.

I certainly remember it being held in much higher regard than the likes of Gex and Bubsy, which I always had mentally filed as borderline shovelware.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Yeah, the whole " it is not truly 3D so not as good" mentality was rife in the gaming press in the early 3D gaming days. Lots of great games got unfairly looked over because of that and not surprised Klonoa was one of its undeserved victims. And Klonoa is far above the likes of Bubsy, it was a properly polished and charming title. As a matter of fact, I was always a bit pissed off Bubsy has had new games released in the last couple of years while so many decent platformer series have never had a chance for a new entry. Again, hope these remasters are a sign that Klonoa might be making a proper return!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Bubsy was basically a punchline even when it first released - I remember it getting absolutely savaged in the press and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, even as a kid. Weird that there's this apparent nostalgia for it now.

Gex was one of those franchises, like Army Men, that seemed ubiquitous and apparently must have been successful, despite no one ever having anything nice to say about it (nor anyone I know from buying any of them).
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Jobobonobo wrote: February 16th, 2022, 9:17 pm Yeah, the whole " it is not truly 3D so not as good" mentality was rife in the gaming press in the early 3D gaming days. Lots of great games got unfairly looked over because of that and not surprised Klonoa was one of its undeserved victims. And Klonoa is far above the likes of Bubsy, it was a properly polished and charming title. As a matter of fact, I was always a bit pissed off Bubsy has had new games released in the last couple of years while so many decent platformer series have never had a chance for a new entry. Again, hope these remasters are a sign that Klonoa might be making a proper return!
Yeah, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was a victim of this as well. Got a very muted response (and a limited print run) on release IIRC. Didn't Sony actually have a policy of discouraging and downplaying 2d titles because they were perceived as old-fashioned (the obvious irony being that 16 and 32 bit 2d games of that era for the most part hold up far better than pretty much any 'true' 3d 32bit title you could mention).
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

KissMammal wrote: February 17th, 2022, 6:15 pm Yeah, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was a victim of this as well. Got a very muted response (and a limited print run) on release IIRC. Didn't Sony actually have a policy of discouraging and downplaying 2d titles because they were perceived as old-fashioned (the obvious irony being that 16 and 32 bit 2d games of that era for the most part hold up far better than pretty much any 'true' 3d 32bit title you could mention).
Would not surprise me if Sony did have such a policy, this was a time in gaming where the atmosphere was decidedly anti-nostalgia in its thinking regarding 2D games as old fashioned. 3D was the future and why would anyone want to just go left to right anymore? I am generally not that big of a fan of the 7th generation of consoles but one thing that i did like about that era was that 2D games started being taken seriously again due to the rise of indie gaming. It is what eventually led to the nice diverse mix of genres that we have today and 2D games can be just as beautiful as any AAA 3D blockbuster title as seen in titles such as Gris, Hollow Night and the modern Rayman games. Many modern day classics are 2D games and it is wonderful to see a wider spectrum of games being enjoyed and played by people.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

GBA emulation for the Switch Online service supposedly leaked: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-onli ... 1848809116

I'd be delighted if it's true, and it would be the thing that prompts me to resubscribe to the service.

However, it may not be true, and if it is true it may be ages before we see it. Fairly sure the N64 leak rumours came months and months before any official announcement. Maybe something announced over the summer?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Wow, almost a year since this thread was used!

Anyway - Metroid Fusion coming to Switch Online next week, which is great.

https://www.eurogamer.net/metroid-fusio ... -next-week
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Best trailer so far. Can't wait.
meatbin

Post by meatbin »

What a trailer. Both this and the BOTW final trailer are just art in themselves.

We're four weeks away from experiencing a gaming masterpiece.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Incredible trailer, perhaps the best I've ever seen. I was already excited but now I'm extremely excited for it.

Trailers are frequently too heavy on what's going on, this one was a collection of moments I can't wait to stitch together. To me it resolutely answered the question a lot of people have asked: "what have they been doing for six years if the map is largely the same?"
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

Could people please give me some recommendations for 2D Switch games, whether that's Metroidvanias or platformers or stuff like Streets of Rage 4. Anything in that (very broad) mould. I'm playing Tears of the Kingdom right now but I quite fancy having a couple of very different types of games on the go as occasional palate cleansers. Feel free to list anything and just assume that I haven't heard of any of these games, because I probably haven't. Thanks.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

They're not exclusives, but...

Yokus Island Express (amazing 2D Metroidvania crossed with a pinball mechanic, one of the most delightful games I've ever played).

Hollow Knight (probably THE best 2D Metroidvania in my opinion)

Ori & The Blind Forest (a close 2nd for favourite Metroidvania)

Shovel Knight (8-bit styled platform adventure, really good)

Celeste (hard platformer but one of the best)

Horace (charming platform adventure with full voice acting and some fun minigames in arcade machines found in the world)

Salt & Sanctuary (probably my favourite, and one of the first '2D Soulslikes')

Kentucky Route Zero (a story that takes you through magical backroad America)

Blasphemous (2D Soulslike, harder than Salt & Sanctuary but a good game)

Those are some good ones, but none of them are new so you probably are familiar with most of them.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

The Switch is excellent for 2D gaming - For the "mainstream" franchise staples you have access to
- DKC tropical Freeze
- Megaman classic, X, and Zero/ZX collections
- Castlevania anniversary collection (for the classic games) and advance collection (more metroidvanias)
- New Super Mario Bros U DX still has a bit of that "genericness" of the NSMB subseries, but is far and away the best within that series, and contains A LOT of 2D platforming for your buck.
- Rayman Legends is on switch - I personally prefer Origins, but it's still an excellent 2D platformer

For the lesser knowns,
- The Blaster Master Zero series is a fun, shooting-oriented blend of Metroidvania
- VVVVVV is on switch! And is a tremendously excellent, bite sized adventure!
- Yooka Laylee and the impossible lair has some janky load times, but pretty good level design
- Carrion: metroidvania-ish stealth game where you're a horrible monster eating everyone
- Bloodstained: Curse of the moon is a lovely homage to Older Castlevania games
- Wandersong is not level based, but is 2D in design and full of charm
- Cuphead is 2D and tonnes of fun, but is also intense and demanding
- And As mentioned by Alex79, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Shovel Knight and the Ori games are tremendous

If 3D platformers are your thing theres also the mario platformers obviously, as well as A Hat In Time, but in terms of an ultimate neat little palate cleanser game, try out Lunistice - it's cheap, acessible, and extremely addictive.
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

Alex79 wrote: May 20th, 2023, 7:09 pm They're not exclusives, but...

Yokus Island Express (amazing 2D Metroidvania crossed with a pinball mechanic, one of the most delightful games I've ever played).

Hollow Knight (probably THE best 2D Metroidvania in my opinion)

Ori & The Blind Forest (a close 2nd for favourite Metroidvania)

Shovel Knight (8-bit styled platform adventure, really good)

Celeste (hard platformer but one of the best)

Horace (charming platform adventure with full voice acting and some fun minigames in arcade machines found in the world)

Salt & Sanctuary (probably my favourite, and one of the first '2D Soulslikes')

Kentucky Route Zero (a story that takes you through magical backroad America)

Blasphemous (2D Soulslike, harder than Salt & Sanctuary but a good game)

Those are some good ones, but none of them are new so you probably are familiar with most of them.

Thanks, Alex. No, I hadn't heard of over half of those. And I haven't actually played the ones I have heard of so it's great to get a further recommendation from this forum. I'm afraid I'm quite ignorant of games that in any way have an 'arcade' or 'retro' type feeling. Except actual old games that I played as a kid. So this is exciting for me. They just seem to suit the Switch so much so that's why I'm suddenly so interested.