Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Shmups

Post by clippa » November 7th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Fired psyvariar up for a quick shot, the appeal still escapes me. I didn't make much effort though, it has to be said, but I wasn't in the mood. I've got terribly sore teefies. I've been keep putting it off and off because I'm not too keen on the dentist. I should have listened to my sister and rang up, every day she goes "have you rung the dentist?" and I go "no, gonna do it tomorrow" and they're all aching now and I've scared myself looking up deep root anal surgery on google. Really need to get that C key fixed.
Though being on steam did lead me to fire up black bird and have an hour on that.
I'm a tad rusty but it sucked me straight back in. Man, I love me some black bird! Gonna play that again tomorrow.

My rolling gunner adventures aren't much to write home about, I've gone back to the weak/slow ship on stanshall's suggestion and things are going a lot better.

I don't wanna go to bed, when I lie down my whole head thurobs! I was nearly crying the other night, I didn't, obviously, I'm well hard, but a lesser man would have.
I was trying to pull out one of my molars the others day, probably best that I didn't manage it just in case, urgh imagine if all dangly nerves came out and it was pissing blood or if I snapped it in half or something.
Might stay up and watch a film.

Gonna ring the dentist tomorrow.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 7th, 2019, 11:26 pm

Aye, ring the dentist. Actually do it though. I also hate the dentist tbh, can’t stand it. I get shaky in that chair every time I have a checkup with fear of work needing to be done. But if you put it off, things get worse, and the work needed gets worse. Call em.

I’m really excited to play Black Bird! That’s my little treat for when I next need it, I love that it’s in reserve. Tonight we watched some Queen performances so no gaming for me, I’m satiated. Tomorrow: more Psyvariar in my limited downtime.

Call the fucking dentist mate. Report back that you did.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 7th, 2019, 11:31 pm

Haha, yeah, I'm gonna make sure I do it tomorrow, then hopefully get in some time next week.
You managed to get your hands on some rare royal sex tapes or is that freddie and the gang?
I'll try and give psyvariar another go tomorrow.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 8th, 2019, 7:06 am

Freddie and the gang! I’m a little bit in love with our fallen soul Mr Mercury. Alongside my super elite underground drum & bass dubplates, he rests above my desk:

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 8th, 2019, 7:22 am

Also thanks for playing Psyvariar with me!

It’s nice when others try games you talk about as well as playing their suggestions a bit give & take eh ksub ;) :D

Where is Stanshall? I thought he’d be all excited.

CALL THE DENTIST CLIPPA. They’re open now

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » November 8th, 2019, 10:02 am

I am very excited and pleased to see some Psyvariar chat, just back to work and a load of issues I had put on hold have been eagerly taken on and buggered up in my absence, so I feel about a bit month behind now. In China, these people would be simply marched to a local football stadium and shot in the back of the head at point blank range, for what it's worth. Obviously I can't agree with that practice. I did play five minutes of Futari last night to unwind after a sixteen hour day and immediately wanted to hurl the stick through the telly. I need a good hour to get stuck in properly after a decent night's kip.

As an aside, I'd be WELL UP for some lil Psyvariar compo to get me back into that one. Such a wild game when you just go for it and live for the i-frames.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 8th, 2019, 1:37 pm

They put the BBQ sauce next to the milkshake machine again? When will they learn, eh?
You'll have been playing god mode an' all, were you? Why don't you give black bird another chance? It's really chill, that. Might help when you're all stressed up.

My mam was really into queen, I remember going through her records when I was a nipper and going "cuh, queen!" I was a little metalhead and it was like that limmy sketch where they're listening to ah-ha, I put on a night at the opera and once death on two legs got going I was like "fuck, this is good shit!"

My mams friend bought her a video with all the promo videos on and me and my sister used to rock out to that before school, I loved the under pressure video with nosferatu and the falling buildings, I'm gonna watch that later, it'll bring back loads of memories!

Got my dentist appointment this morning

"He's quite busy at the minute"
"Nguugh!"
"Oh, no, look he's had a cancellation on tuesday afternoon"
"Ngaaay!"

2:20pm 12th November. I'm just gonna sup mushy stuff like an old biddy and not much of it neither, I was careful yesterday and they weren't giving me half as much jip when I went to bed last night.
I don't like soup, I do like fucking whiskey though, nice big bottle of that would take the bloody edge off, 6 weeks and 5 days dry and snout free now. Clean as a whistle, sharp as a thistle. On fighting form, hoo-ha!

I'll try and give psyvariar a proper chance tonight, but I can't make any promises that I won't just fuck it off for beaky fuzzblob and his chocolaty foiled world of wonders again.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 8th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Hellsinker is fucking pissing me off now. You can see there's a good game hiding behind all the convoluted wank.
I don't know what the fucks going on and I can't be fucked to find out and now my stupid wrist hurts from doing all the funky sub weapon bollocks and I just tried to read a guide that looked a bit slimmer than the others and it's giving it all "stella is rank" say fucking rank then!
Then it's explaining something else and it goes "This one gets a bit more complicated." oh, ram it up your chuff then!

I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing until I complete it and then get it the fuck out of my life.
I'm kicking the shit out of things but then I get to this place where bosses keep spawning all the time and some of them are wankers.
I think I must be raising the "stella" too far, fucking stella, you absolute turkey. It's rank! It's always been rank! Prick thinks he's building the frigging dune universe or something.
You want to look at the scoreboard? It's not called scoreboard, it's not called leaderboard, it's not called high scores, it's called ACHIEVEMENT OF EXECUTORS.
You want to start the game? Simply choose FULL SEQUENCE ORDER, oh but make sure you choose your BOOTLEG GHOST first. Whats a bootleg ghost, I don't fucking care mate, just gimme one of the bastards and I'll shove it in my backpack.

It's pretty fun at times but every time I think I'm starting to enjoy it and get a handle on what's happening, grrrrrr. You just have to feel it out blindly I think, it's either that or read a war and peace sized guide written by a twat.
I think I'm getting there. It's just annoying that you can't be sure.

I played black bird but I didn't do very well, I had a really good run but I must have fucked it somewhere along the line because I ended up with one life and no bombs for the end bit, I would have beat my score if I had a couple of bombs and maybe one more life.

Psyvariar I tried again but it repels me for some reason. I just can't seem to want to play it. I think I just don't like grazing unless it's the garnish to other systems, this is ikaruga again where they take a lesser mechanic used in other shmups and focus on it solely to a huge detriment to the game. It feels very prescriptive again, so bland and formal and rigid.
I will have another try. What stupid ship and stupid bloody mode am I supposed to be playing?

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » November 9th, 2019, 3:35 am

It doesn't seem prescriptive or rigid to me. I couldn't imagine trying copy a route or anything in this, it's constant moment to moment decisions and playing by the seat of your pants. Mega risk decent reward. You don't need to engage with the grazing at all if you don't want to, though. You can play it like any other shmup, it's just less exciting that way and you won't level up quite as much nor score as highly. Choose the normal ship and give Medium or Revision mode a go. They seem to have the most players.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 9th, 2019, 11:18 am

Well, yeah, you can just shoot everything but the scoring is based around the grazing, innit? You're supposed to let things live until the last minute and dance around all the bullets they drop. That's like saying I can join in playing football and just do laps of the pitch if I like, waving at the crowd.

I like grazing when you're doing it to charge up a hyper or something, but just wafting around like a tit forever gets boring fast for me. It's the reason I rate DU2 much higher than 3.

How could you not route through this? Once you know the bullet patterns of each enemy and which ones aim, you could plot a course, I'm sure. There's no randomisation, is there?

Which ones normal? Sorry. The round one or the pointy one? Medium or revision, can you pick one for me?

I'm sure it's good, I'm just bouncing off it pretty hard every time I load it up. Maybe it's because you like it. You've infected it with cooties.
I have to go to my sisters today so I won't get a chance to play anything, but I'll try again tomorrow.

Aaaaw, look at this bunch of nanas all having a nice christmas - https://twitter.com/M2_STG/status/1192732329690554373

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » November 9th, 2019, 11:42 am

But you are doing it to level up and increase your shot power which matters a lot in later stages and with the bosses. You can route any shmup I imagine but I'm saying this isn't a strict one, you're constantly jumping from one spray to the next and it's quite frantic. If you don't enjoy it, that's absolutely fair enough. I like Black Bird but I know you get a lot more out of it, and its systems.

I'd go pointy ship (something-R), Revision levels and whatever music you like. Pointy ship allows you to graze the bullets more than once and maybe has better i-frames. I think the round ship is boring as fuck. If you don't enjoy the level up voice every few days seconds and diving headfirst into a load of bullets and then diving out for a breather just in time, there's not an awful lot more to the game.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 9th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Yah, I do get a slight whiff that it could be something I'd go absolutely potty for once it clicked though, that's the frustrating thing.
Might just not be for me, some things aren't. I'll give it a few more goes and keep trying it now and then in the future. It's not going anywhere. I'm not ready to write it off just yet.

I'm the same with that refrain prism memories, I just can't see why so many people rate that so highly and I keep coming back to see what I'm missing and always coming up empty handed.

How are you fairing, haze? You had a chance to play it much?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 10th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Aye I’ve played it a few more times but have been preoccupied with Mr Driller somewhat!

I agree with clippa - I feel like this game is focussed on the grazing massively to the point where if you play it as a “normal” shmup you will feel like you’re ripping yourself off a bit. If you aren’t into the grazing mechanic I definitely wouldn’t recommend it. However that’s exactly what I like about it. If I didn’t like that, I think I’d bounce off it really hard, as Stan says there really isn’t much else to it. It’s such a pure game with no frills. And honestly that’s why I like it so much. It’s almost got a fuck you attitude to it. It shows you nothing other than what it wants you to see and enjoy.

I really like it and will aim for a 1cc in time.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 10th, 2019, 11:40 pm

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!

I got my nephew a ps4 slim for easter (you don't have to tell me!) so I took a usb drive round so I could watch a film at least but sony in their infinite wisdom had the usb ports buried in a sort of trench that was too thin for my stick. It did look nice, I have to admit.

I had to carefully slide my stick in from the side (it's one of those flick knife jobs), line it up with the port and then push out the usb thingy so it went up into the port, after all that it flashed up "this file system isn't supported" or some shit. Yeah, good one maaate. It was looking more and more like I'd have to succumb to saturday night terrestrial television.

I rememebered that I'd bought spelunky on the vita years ago and it's one of those play anywhere games (or whatever the sony equivalent phrase is) so I was able to download that since he's nicked my account. That saved the night. My sister had gone to bed and I was all fat and alone.

I'm a fair few episodes behind on the frank skinner podcast so I tried to listen to one of those while I was playing spelunky. Christ, they don't make that easy, I just gave up in the end.
There's probably some sort of podcast app or something you have to download, is there?

I was trying to do it on the internet browser, christ, that's a clunky, slow piece of shit, I went to play it on one site, it said the flash plugin wasn't working? What is this? The late 90s? It gave me an option to download the mp3, a message flashed up saying "the ps4 doesn't support this file format", they had to be lying.
I tried 4 different sites to try and stream the damn podcast and none of them worked.
No offence to the spelunky soundtrack, but it's not the best part of the game and spelunky is definitely a game that works best when your brain is busy on something else.

Seriously considering building a small form factor pc or shelling out on a cheap laptop or something. I don't know how you console bods cope. I've had a few goes on spelunky at least, but nothing today. I really want a game of black bird or rolling gunner. Hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow.
I wish I wasn't such a picky, awkward cunt, I've got a switch sat there gathering dust.

Took me a good 15 minutes to type that slew of boring nothing. I could have done a run on black bird, it's only 4 stages! I am an idiot. Goodnight.
Psyvariar will have to wait, I need some safe bets that I know I'm gonna enjoy.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 12th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Some footage from rolling gunner over power. Looking good! - https://twitter.com/rollinggunner/statu ... 3842493440

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 15th, 2019, 10:42 am

^ I will definitely grab this when it comes to Switch!

Not played a shmup properly in a bit apart from Sqoon (which is excellent fun). Hooked on Steins;Gate 0 after hitting a plot point that drilled into my brain, and I need to finish it. Shmups will return, soon.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 15th, 2019, 12:29 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 10:42 am

Not played a shmup properly in a bit apart from Sqoon (which is excellent fun). Hooked on Steins;Gate 0 after hitting a plot point that drilled into my brain, and I need to finish it. Shmups will return, soon.
I need to start Steins Gate again. I got about ten hours in before dropping it. I hoped it was on mobile, but it looks like it's Japanese only (although purchasable from the EU Play store, which is odd).

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 15th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 12:29 pm
hazeredmist wrote:

I need to start Steins Gate again. I got about ten hours in before dropping it. I hoped it was on mobile, but it looks like it's Japanese only (although purchasable from the EU Play store, which is odd).
10 hours in! Did you hit:
Spoiler: show
the twist? I won't say what just in case

clippa

Post by clippa » November 15th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Stay on topic please, talk about me and my daily life Image

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 15th, 2019, 2:27 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 1:55 pm
Alex79uk wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 12:29 pm
hazeredmist wrote:

10 hours in! Did you hit:
Spoiler: show
the twist? I won't say what just in case
Yes - although unfortunately I already knew what the game was about.