Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Shmups

Post by clippa » January 15th, 2020, 4:30 am

Right, I'm off for a little bit, might be a good time to introduce your friend, Haze :lol:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » January 15th, 2020, 7:17 am

Take it easy, clip, and have a good week or so.

For anyone who didn't see Gus' AGDQ run or who wants to see it without discord voice chat, it's been officially uploaded now:

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 15th, 2020, 11:20 am

clippa wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 3:38 am
No offence to mark, he obviously has a natural skill for these games but he's focused in on danmaku unlimited 3 because it's a game that grabbed him, but it's easily one of the worst games he could have chosen to use as an example for difficulty settings.
Agreed. Danmaku Unlimited 3 is a horror show in this regard.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 15th, 2020, 11:23 am

clippa wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 12:13 am
Shit! Sorry, I remember reading your post about this and the mental post it note I'd slipped into the back pocket of my memory got mangled in my full spin washing machine brain.

There's a "true" mode that unlocks after you've beat normal mode, it's a little bit hairier but it's one of those games that's more about scoring than it being a huge challenge to clear. It doesn't bump things up all too much.

I love Black Bird so much because of the way it looks and sounds, it's such a unique, lovely world to live in, a beautiful escape, but on top of that, it's a very tight shmup with hidden depths that rewards experimentation.

You're on the last stage there, believe it or not, I think it's purposefully short, they concentrated on quality rather than quantity and I think the game is better for it.

You're close to another 1cc there, keep at it!
Ah thanks man no need to worry about delayed replies I knew it'd grab your attention eventually :D

That's exciting, and I don't mind it being that short at all. The scoring mechanics are very satisfying (I'm constantly told if my level score is good or best etc) and even the sound design is hitting the spot now. It's just so delightfully different from other games I've played in the genre. I think I'm going to try and beat it at lunchtime...

Also really impressed with your own Futari exploits. I can't really understand or relate to what you and Stan are achieving here, other than to sit there slack-jawed at the feats. They look amazing.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » January 15th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Haze, just FYI, I plugged away at Black Bird for a good while and never got the clear so you'll be putting me in your shade. Good luck with it. I am determined to go back but I always bottle it on the last boss, it's the feather pattern!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 15th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Ah you could do it for sure if you put your inhuman mind to it!!!

Had a go at lunch, got to the boss with 7 lives but still fucked it, didn't get as far as I did on the first attempt. I'll keep plugging away.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » January 15th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Clippa’s gone away for a while?

We should honour his memory by keeping up a constant barrage of, where’s he gone, was it something I did, do you think he’ll come back soon, why’s he ignoring me, etc and so forth... :D

We’ll need to work shifts.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 15th, 2020, 6:53 pm

I'm available on Friday from 16:30 to 22:15.

Everybody interested in participating, please PM Chopper with your contact information and a short explanation of how much clippa means to you so we can establish a timetable.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 15th, 2020, 8:32 pm

Good lord :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will miss him while he’s on a break. Can we all just make sure we learn from Ross in Friends, and don’t shag someone else while he’s away. It doesn’t work. He’s only just getting over Stanshall’s antics... :P

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » January 15th, 2020, 10:37 pm

He's already managed a longer flounce than my most recent about turn.

In unrelated news, I finally bought Battle Garegga on the PS4 and a Brook converter for my 360 stick to connect to the Switch. Now I need the same for the frigging PS4, I guess. It's something I have played on emulation but I just fancied the M2 STG version after ESP. It's a fine game and very idiosyncratic and full of character. Bloody hard though and an ugly bastard, albeit that is part of its rugged charm.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 15th, 2020, 11:04 pm

Flounce :lol:

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 15th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Good investments there Stan... I haven’t played Battle Garegga. One for the bucket list?

Meanwhile:

Happy days! Wish clips was here though, it’s like my dad missing sports day and I won the egg & spoon race :(

Had a much better run, saved plenty of lives for the boss and only a few stupid deaths. Was pure instinct that final phase with the feathers, I know what you mean it’s tricky. You could 100% do it in your sleep though mate.

Quality game I really like it, think I’ll keep at normal mode for now and improve my score (top score 4346220 which sits me a lofty 6050th in the world!) as I didn’t score chase at all, it was just going for the clear, missed loads of points opportunities.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 15th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Battle Garegga is excellent, but it's on the difficult side of things and has a rather obtuse set of mechanics.

I'd recommend getting comfortable with other, more accessible shmups before diving into Garegga. For the record, I think it's still slightly above my skill level.

clippa

Post by clippa » January 16th, 2020, 12:01 am

:lol: I'm not flouncing, you'll know when I've got my little foot stamping megahuff boots on, the roof tiles will be rattling with all the door slamming and screaming!
You're not my real dad! You're a fffffucking owl!

Gah, I can't get the spell checking to work. I'll sort that later. This might have typo's. Deal with it.

I'm looking after my sister and she's gone to bed. I got a cheapo laptop in the freaky friday/blue monday sale or whatever but I have to sit at this table on a hard rickety chair and my bum bones are sore so I'm just on checking my email and stuff.

Excellent work on the 1cc, haze! Yeah, that feather pattern is a stinker, you can sort of see which way the feathers are gonna fly by watching how the bosses wings flap, but it doesn't help much, you've just gotta grit your teeth and hope for the best.
Nice work! Keep a list of the games you 1cc, mine got so long and unruly and I kept forgetting to add to it for a long time and just gave up and I always wish I kept on top of it.

Think this thing might handle mame without melting, the keyboards gash and the edge of the shell is digging into my arm but I might try and have a quit shot of something before I turn it in!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 16th, 2020, 9:40 am

Yes! He was there! Stood at the back , swaying, smelling of alcohol but he was there. That's all that matters.

Aye cheers - I think you're right that it's gone for quality over quantity, and the difficulty level (obviously low) was great for me - forcing a 1cc to see the game works well on this occasion and there is a lot to go back to and play for.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 16th, 2020, 9:48 am

Ksub - I hear ya RE Garrega... It's bucket list I'm not looking to dive on something like that just yet (and certainly not with ambitions of 1cc's, it would just be for fun like most shmups I play). I'm not buying anything more for now - I have ESP to come and that is going to drain my dollar for the foreseeable. I shouldn't even be buying that but it's pretty hard to not get caught up in the hype.

I need to go through my backlog and decide which games are being ditched and which I need to get to and when. I wish all my shmups were on the Switch! Would make things a lot easier.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 16th, 2020, 12:35 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 9:48 am
I have ESP to come and that is going to drain my dollar for the foreseeable. I shouldn't even be buying that but it's pretty hard to not get caught up in the hype.
I know my suggestions have a tendency to result in the polar opposite outcome thanks to all the chest-beating rugged individualism floating around this place ( :P), but ESP Ra.De. is rather expensive at the moment and not necessarily the absolute top tier must-have-at-any-cost GOAT shmup either if you just wanna play for fun. If money is tight, I would recommend waiting for a discounted EU release and focusing on one of the many, many other great shmups you already have at your disposal. Stan is knee-deep in MuFu, I don't know when I'll be able to commit any length of time to it and clippa will have forgotten his own name by tomorrow, so there is absolutely zero hype to get caught up in.

And if you don't want to be left alone and shivering in the frozen dead of night playing nerdy Cast Away (perfectly understandable), just say the word and I'll join.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 16th, 2020, 1:41 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 12:35 pm
hazeredmist wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 9:48 am
I have ESP to come and that is going to drain my dollar for the foreseeable. I shouldn't even be buying that but it's pretty hard to not get caught up in the hype.
I know my suggestions have a tendency to result in the polar opposite outcome thanks to all the chest-beating rugged individualism floating around this place ( :P), but ESP Ra.De. is rather expensive at the moment and not necessarily the absolute top tier must-have-at-any-cost GOAT shmup either if you just wanna play for fun. If money is tight, I would recommend waiting for a discounted EU release and focusing on one of the many, many other great shmups you already have at your disposal. Stan is knee-deep in MuFu, I don't know when I'll be able to commit any length of time to it and clippa will have forgotten his own name by tomorrow, so there is absolutely zero hype to get caught up in.

And if you don't want to be left alone and shivering in the frozen dead of night playing nerdy Cast Away (perfectly understandable), just say the word and I'll join.
Yes, curse that damned autonomy / freedom of choice rearing it's ugly head time and time again! When will we learn???

The hype is not just from this thread :o and the game is already on it's way. I'd quite like to physically own a shmup, I find it bizarre that I don't already. They're all digital purchases. I am happy to go with this one, given it's supposed to be rather good :D you can at least respect that right? It doesn't conform to most of your scornful rules on how I should be consuming content, but a nice game for the shelf will for sure. Right? :lol:

Your advice is partially sound, I shouldn't bother. But I do a lot of things I shouldn't really do and don't need to do as a fairly flawed human. I'll be smiling while you sit fuming with a furrowed brow in the corner.

Special lol @ "clippa will have forgotten his own name by tomorrow" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 16th, 2020, 5:58 pm

What's the general consensus on Black Paradox? I liked the look of it when it came out, and it's currently dirt cheap (about £3) on Switch.

clippa

Post by clippa » January 16th, 2020, 6:19 pm

It's just a shitty rip off of steredenn, get that instead. Monolith on pc is the far better choice if you're after a roguelite shmup. It's a top down shooter, but it's by far the better game and the controls aren't broken.
Telling that they removed the demo from steam, must have been hurting their sales!
Steredenn is a really fun roguelite shmup let down by crappy controls.

I'd still definitely recommend getting it but I'd get it on pc instead if I was you. The screenshake is really overdone and it goes off every time you fart, you can turn it off with the launch command -shake0.

There's analogue emulation on the digital controls as well. There is a -rawinput command but they obviously haven't tested this much as it's very buggy, for example if you're moving right and quickly change direction to left, you'll continue moving right.

The digital controls are pretty awful and clearly an afterthought, with or without the raw input command. Diagonal movement is additive which isn't intentional since diagonal movement is normalized when using the analogue stick.

Considering precise, responsive controls are integral to the genre, it's a pretty big thing to get wrong. Sit back with a pad and play with an analogue stick though and you'll have a good time, at least until you get to the second loop and have picked up a few upgrades that make the game harder and you're praying for decent 1:1 digital controls so you can microtap your way between bullets. The devs have said that they're moving on to other things (maybe even none gaming related, but one said that he'd maybe look at the digital controls and try and come up with something a bit better).

I could list some more bad points, but this is getting too long as it is, honestly, for all it's flaws, the game still manages to be brilliant fun. It's the fabled decent shmup roguelite that I've been dreaming of. I've put 33 hours into it, you can play it with the sound down while listening to podcasts or music and it's just good brainless fun.
I'm back, bitches! False alarm, I'm not needed, at least not tonight. I can sit on my fat arse and play futari. Yaaay!