Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist »

Guys I finally did it!!!

First time I’ve got to Mr Rhombus with more than a life buffer, I made some daft errors in the lead up but huge improvements on stage 6 and I’ve finally got a legit 1cc! I know it’s just novice mode but this feels big to me. The double limit help really pushed me along, thanks again for that!

TRUE ALL

Now to suss what the best way to upload my replay is... any ideas? Is it phone balanced filming the switch?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: October 27th, 2019, 9:12 am Speaking of which, I haven't had a drink or a smoke for five whole weeks! Wow, I think that's me free now, good.
hazeredmist wrote: October 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm Guys I finally did it!!!

First time I’ve got to Mr Rhombus with more than a life buffer, I made some daft errors in the lead up but huge improvements on stage 6 and I’ve finally got a legit 1cc!
Woo, congrats! :P
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Well in, mate! Great stuff. Very pleased for you and I'll look forward to the vid.

If you don't have a capture card, I'd suggest (from plenty of trial and error) dark room, turn down the telly back light, HDR off on your camera and 60fps if available.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Quality isn't great sorry, hard to get right balancing a phone against DVD's and while monitoring the boy - it dims a couple of times and at one point the screen turned off so I had to edit that out :D

Please don't expect any grand impressive feats here, I'm a long way behind you shmup lords! Any advice etc appreciated.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ah man thank you so much for watching it! And for the critique / advice, I definitely want it. Really appreciate it!

Focus shooting, you're right I'm just kinda in the habit with this game of playing like that I think, I never use the rapid fire button. I don't really know why, it feels messier and I just felt like the focus shot was working for me. But like you say, I've been focusing 100% on getting the 1cc here so now I can step back and change it up a bit to improve and get better scores / technique. The advice on playing it as a 3-button game, again that could change everything I guess like the double limit break stuff did. So I'll try that.

Aye, prior to this run (which I may add was on a rare hour of gaming on a Sunday afternoon where my eyes aren't bleeding from exhaustion) I'd never got to Rhombus with more than a life to spare, and I'd just get so panicky and blow it early. I had many runs where I fucked it but continued on to finish it anyway for practice, everything just came together. There are a couple of times I can see trouble approaching and can't get out, I'd like to improve that but there were less stupid mistakes than there have been lately, so on the whole I'm pleased. A few things have improved during my runs through pracice, such as the bit on Stage 6 where two walls are firing at you at the same time, focus on the right wall first as you kill it quicker, then the left. Also how to handle the bit with the lasers blocking the way, preemptive fire etc. And which stages I need to be wary of popcorn immediately coming from above when I naturally move my ship up there for some reason :D
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haze, great to see you get through that so comfortably. You took plenty of resources into that last stage. I'm always limping if I get to stage 6 so you've clearly worked it out. Obviously, I'd agree with clippa that you could make life easier by spraying your rapid shot in the general direction for a bit while you're repositioning your gunner so you've kind of done this the hard way, to be honest! In any case, it's done and you can add it to the CV and enjoy it until the itch returns for a new challenge.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Cheers Stan! Appreciate you checking it out and again thank you for the advice, I'm definitely taking the rapid fire button advice into my next runs on this.

@clippa eXceed3rd Jade Penetrate Black Package (ooer) is on offer on Steam! I think I'm gonna add it to my pile it if you recommend it. Is it worth paying a little extra for the 3 games as they're all on offer? Or are the first two shite?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Awesome, cheers. No need for the filler then. Purchased!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2074 ... k_Package/ if anyone else fancies it. £2.39. Cheaper than a lunchtime sarnie.

It would be £40 if it was on Switch, no doubt. Just look at Ghost Blade HD... £7.49 on PSN no sale, but on Switch it's £10.79, and that's 20% off! Normal price it's nearly double.

I think I'm gonna pass on Black Bird btw. Don't hate me. Too many little concerns about whether it would grab me properly or not...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yeah, I bought eXceed 3rd in the sale as well.

Had to resort to my usual hardware acceleration framerate database subterfuge, of course, but thankfully I know the trick by now. :P

Dunno when I'll have the time to play it properly, but the price was difficult to pass up considering clippa's enthusiasm.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Had a quick blast on eXceed 3rd tonight, mildly annoying having to use JoyToKey but really it's not that much of a bind (geddit?). Game seems alright, too early to tell. I felt like some attention to an existing game was necessary...

...so I fired up Crimzon Clover and did a bit better than previous completions, getting to Stage 3 before using a continue. I think I'd need to really put the hours in to get a 1cc or anything, but playing through all the stages was a lot of fun, I love how bombastic the game is, so satisfying.

I'm also playing Truxton on the Megadrive this week thanks to the Retro Game Challenge, my pick. They're onto me so I'll need to be on top of my game but it seems reasonably friendly and fun unlike some other 16-bit shmups I've tried.

All while having Rolling Gunner music constantly in my head. I'd love that soundtrack... I want to spin the tunes, maybe work on a shmup set. Blue Wish, Fast Striker also have great fast-paced trancey soundtracks, there would be loads to play with.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Truxton is a bastard, Haze! At least on Normal difficulty and up. Who is holding that Retro Game Challenge? I'm a bit familiar with that game, so I might like to take a stab at it.

Congrats on the 1cc for Rolling Gunner, btw. I've been to proud to even try Novice, considering how lackluster I found Novice modes in Cave games, before, but now you got me wanting to give it a shot.

Thinking to record some Batrider runs from the o.g. Xbox, now that I have a fancy capturing setup. Probably can't hack it before our score competition deadline, though.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

It's a group I set up on Whatsapp mate, it's got a few of my friends in it, the banter in the group is shit (probably no worse than in this thread...) so if you're thick skinned and fancy it, hit me a PM and you'd be welcome to join :D if not just join in here and I'll share my score with you etc. The challenge is on easy mode.

We've been going for ages and have played 154 games to date! A new game is selected each week on rotation, with screenshots shared by 9pm on Sundays (UK time, not sure where you're based) to determine a winner. It isn't always shmups, it could be anything. You'd need to be up for using emulators unless you have an obscene hoard of original systems. Typically games are on the likes of NES, SNES, Megadrive, Neo Geo, N64 (occasionally) and others. I could even just open up a Cane & Rinse thread copy of the challenges and welcome entries from here separate to our Whatsapp group. Might be better?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

The thread copy sounds like a good idea!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Hey, everyone! :)

Haven't had a lot of time to play games (or post on the forum) recently but I've been slowly but surely dipping my toes back into the genre these past few days.

eXceed 3 is all right, I find the aesthetics rather off-putting but there is an option to disable most of the in-game chatter. I'm not too fond of grazing systems in general, but I'll have to spend a bit more time with this one. And Psyvariar, of course.

Ketsui is hard. I really want to get better at it, though.

Played a bit of Danmaku Unlimited 3 as well and I think I hit that notorious mid-game difficulty spike everybody was talking about. First few stages are easy as pie, and then... oof.

Also played a bit of Bullet Soul Infinite Burst and wow, clippa is ranked in the Top 15 of the Caravan leaderboards with all four characters! I only knew about your Yun highscore! :o
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah Danmaku Unlimited 3, I'm so close to a 1cc. I can get to the final stage without using a life or bomb, and make it to the boss but haven't managed to beat it yet.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Whatever they bring to the Switch I'll buy. And give them time to get right. These guys have earned it.

I'm amazed by their release methods though, I know the "scene" is small but it must cost them a lot of potential sales this... I really want the soundtrack for example but it looks like the only way is importing a physical CD from Japan!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Clippa?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ooh, is this another stealth score battle post :D

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Of course, but I just want to make sure I'm not on his ignore list first! :lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I did indeed! How was your Halloween, my dear?