Void B*stards - got a question or two

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
dezm0nd

Void B*stards - got a question or two

Post by dezm0nd » May 31st, 2019, 4:36 am

Anyone else playing the new FPS Roguelike Void Bastards? It's pretty great so far and its on xbox gamepass (and steam, too)

I've got a question regarding the recycler machine found in the garbage room. I seem to be putting my materials in but cant seem to find what im getting in return. So, the question is, what the bloody hell is it?

I could just google it or whatever but I thought it would be more fun to have some discovery together

Flabyo

Re: Void B*stards - got a question or two

Post by Flabyo » May 31st, 2019, 6:06 am

I’d need to check, but I think it gives you ‘merits’, the currency you can spend on doing stuff.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » May 31st, 2019, 7:48 am

Ah that'd make sense. I was thinking along the lines of the latest prey game.

Cheers Glen

Suits

Post by Suits » May 31st, 2019, 7:54 am

On a side note - this looks so good.

I’ll likely get on this tonight with a beer and a pizza.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » May 31st, 2019, 8:16 am

There’s definitely something there... I’m not yet sold on it though, it’s going to come down to how repetitive it gets. But as it’s on gamepass... may as well keep playing.

Suits

Post by Suits » May 31st, 2019, 8:26 am

Ah, Gamepass you say - I might just get one of those trials and try it that, as opposed to the £25 to buy it.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 31st, 2019, 8:43 am

I watched a couple of videos of this the other day, it looked a bit too slow for my tastes and it seemed like you couldn't die, there didn't seem to be any jeopardy involved. The guys health bar was huge!

Gonna follow this thread and see how it pans out for you lot though. Love the way it looks, like one of those cartoon films.

If you like this and fancy something a bit speedier, get on Immortal Redneck, that's really good fun. On steam and gog , switch, ps4 and xbox.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » May 31st, 2019, 9:03 am

^^^^ From what I've seen, you need to treat the combat in this game like an RPG dice roll system, as visible projectiles can't physically be avoided and hit probability and damage are based on stats and RNG. Don't know how I feel about that yet, but yeah... more RPG-like in the vein of System Shock than FPS, really.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 31st, 2019, 9:11 am

Ah, right, so it's a more slow paced, strategic sort of affair.
I'm not sure if that's something I'd relax into or if I'd end up gnawing my own arm off.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » May 31st, 2019, 10:09 am

Michiel K wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 9:03 am
^^^^ From what I've seen, you need to treat the combat in this game like an RPG dice roll system, as visible projectiles can't physically be avoided and hit probability and damage are based on stats and RNG. Don't know how I feel about that yet, but yeah... more RPG-like in the vein of System Shock than FPS, really.
It didn’t feel like that at all to me, I was definitely avoiding shots by moving? Or maybe I just thought I was.

And I was definitely hitting headshots to do more damage.

The large health bar is because it doesn’t refill between missions unless you use health resources. You’re trying to get as far as you can on limited resources.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 31st, 2019, 7:15 pm

Had a little try of this and it reminds me a lot of wasted.
Wasted was sort of like boiling down the modern fallout games to the combat and vault raids with the borderlands cel-shaded visuals slapped on top. It was a lot more tense and exciting than void bastards and had a really fun soundtrack to boot.

It's not a bad little game this, but I think 25 quid is too much to ask. I didn't play too long and it already felt a bit bare-bones and like I was just going through the motions, playing on autopilot.

One thing that is much better than wasted is how you just press a button to loot and that's it. Juggling items in your inventory was a pain in the arse in that game.

Looks great and the manc alien shouting "I can see ya, dick head!" or whatever was fun, then you got 10 of them in the same room all pulling from the same small pool or phrases and it started to grate and feel a little cheap.

A bit dull, I have to say, it could/should be way more fun than it is, but if it's nowt on gamepass, it's definitely worth downloading, I'd happily play through it grinding for all the upgrades, it's quite relaxing, but I can't see it having any great lasting appeal like the best games in the genre do, it was already feeling stale by the end of my little try with it and I'm definitely waiting for a below half price sale on pc.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » May 31st, 2019, 9:33 pm

I’ve gotten a bit further now, almost have all the parts for the HR Computer. I’m really digging the risk/reward of choosing which ships to stop at and which to skip. I crossed over to the third layer of the nebula and got absolutely smoked. Digging the progression so far and I’ve apparently got some more upgrades to craft before I can handle level three.

I’m really enjoying the entire feel of this one.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » June 1st, 2019, 4:05 am

I'm definitely very much enjoying it. I don't really know what my end goal is but i'm enjoying just bouncing from ship to ship, managing my fuel etc to get to where it's telling me to go.

It reminds me a tiny bit of Rainbow Six Terrorist Hunt. I'm just loading into these levels, killing a bunch of things and taking stuff back with me (hopefully) to make the next one a bit more enjoyable with the level progression.

The garbage recycler is indeed to recycle mats into credits and I've also just realised you can create upgrade parts from mats found, too.

I get why this game wouldn't be on everyones radar but I am certainly enjoying the RPG-liteness of a cel shaded System Shock-lite. You can indeed dodge the projectiles, though.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 2nd, 2019, 2:12 pm

I’ve now gotten very comfortable with skipping ships and using the locator to go after the parts I want. I almost always jump past four or five ships now to get to where I want to go. I’m also getting more acclimated to the ship types and layouts so I’m getting better at getting out quickly after I got what I need.

Also for an unsolicited tip, before you get to level 3, it becomes important to salvage torpedoes off of ships so you can fend off things like void whales.

Void Whale is now the new name of my metal band.